uai gap (1 Viewer)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmmm .. im just wondering what kinda gap is err well 'breach-able' with regards to uai for transfer ... or more what kinda uni average needed.

what im looking at is going to something about 4-5 points above my uai ... what kinda uni average am i looking at needing?... its not a high demand course i dont think ...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i think about 10 uai points can be breachable depending you have satifactory results at uni.

X

xeuyrawp

You can't make those kinds of generalisations.
Where did you want to transfer from / to.

S

Shuter

If you are reffering to how much lower are non-recent schooll leaver cut-offs, then about 4-7 points.

If you are refering to what weighting your uni marks have in relation to your selection rank when combined with UAI:

After one year of study, your UAI will be treated 50% and uni results GPA average 50%. If you look around at some of the stickies on this forum, you will find that there is a GPA to UAI/selection rank converter. Offhand, one complete year's uni result of 4HD and 4D is equivalent to 99.5

Musegirl

HSC
N/A
I went to TAFE straight after high school for 1.5 years and now I'm going to start a course which has an entrance UAI 10 points over my UAI. Plus I have 48 credit points of exemptions.

It's possible, as long as the course is the same or similiar to what you have studied.

specialjenny

HSC
Shuter said:
If you are reffering to how much lower are non-recent schooll leaver cut-offs, then about 4-7 points.

If you are refering to what weighting your uni marks have in relation to your selection rank when combined with UAI:

After one year of study, your UAI will be treated 50% and uni results GPA average 50%. If you look around at some of the stickies on this forum, you will find that there is a GPA to UAI/selection rank converter. Offhand, one complete year's uni result of 4HD and 4D is equivalent to 99.5
Is this true for every uni? I thought some just look at say your uni results, your UAI, your STAT and take the highest one. So if your highest ranking is your UAI they just use that without weighting it down.

Or do they all get weight down? *worried*

S

Shuter

specialjenny said:
Is this true for every uni? I thought some just look at say your uni results, your UAI, your STAT and take the highest one. So if your highest ranking is your UAI they just use that without weighting it down.

Or do they all get weight down? *worried*
It is not true for every course at every uni.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
The "official" Usyd Advice (ie- what they will tell you if you ring them up...) is that it is possible and likely for you to be able to transfer into a course up to 5 pts above your UAI, that it is possible but less likely if you are 10 pts below, and any lower than 10 pts below is very unlikely, simply because you would have to get absolutely brilliant marks at uni to make up for the UAI gap.

The further your UAI from the cutoff, the higher your uni marks have to be to make up for it.

HSC
Mambomeg said:
The "official" Usyd Advice (ie- what they will tell you if you ring them up...) is that it is possible and likely for you to be able to transfer into a course up to 5 pts above your UAI, that it is possible but less likely if you are 10 pts below, and any lower than 10 pts below is very unlikely, simply because you would have to get absolutely brilliant marks at uni to make up for the UAI gap.

The further your UAI from the cutoff, the higher your uni marks have to be to make up for it.

what do you think a person with a UAI of 60, and the cutoff is 63 (currently) but will prob go up to 70 start of year, wat do u think they will have to get as a GPA

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i honesty dont know, it would change each year depending on the demand for the course. The Low UAI indicates that the course is not high demand, so you'd have more chance of getting in then say to Law or something high demand like that.

It also depends whether the faculty you are trying to get into only looks at marks or if it also looks at things like a personal statement expressing why you want to get in. Sometimes if you only just miss out you can call the faculty and express how much you want to do the course and they can pull strings. (obviously this is more likely if there are less applicants.)

Obviously the faculty wants to take people who are passionate about the course and who will succeed in the course and the career. Its not unheard of for people to be let in even if they are below the UAI if they can show that they are passionate about the course.

For example, if you want to study, i dunno, IT, and you can show that you have done well in an IT related subject in the course you are currently in, then they might take that into consideration.

My advice, call the faculty, speak to them directly. At least then if they get a say in who they accept, they might push for you to be accepted, based on your passion for the course. Also ask if they have special entry schemes, for say, people on youth allowance, or people whose study has been disrupted at some point.

In the meantime, just work your ass off and do as well as you can, you can never do too well!

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmm whilst you guys are talking here i might aswell make the situation clearer ...

im doing civil engineering at uts (sigh) ... my uai was 77.7 hmm didnt think i was gunna go to uni, but eh ... now i want to get into some form of architecture.
uts arch - ~88
unsw arch - ~90
BUT ... unsw science(arch) - ~83 (prolli the only one ill get near)

my first semester marks were 2 d's and 2 p's - :( the p's were for maths and physics... im suprised i passed at all. next semester im doing electives that are not so hard so ill prolli be able to do alot better with them.

i heard that uts takes like a personal statement into account?? and if im already at uts, are they more likely to share teh <3 and let me in ... or is it a real strict thang? :eek:

S

Shuter

Purp|e said:
hmm whilst you guys are talking here i might aswell make the situation clearer ...

im doing civil engineering at uts (sigh) ... my uai was 77.7 hmm didnt think i was gunna go to uni, but eh ... now i want to get into some form of architecture.
uts arch - ~88
unsw arch - ~90
BUT ... unsw science(arch) - ~83 (prolli the only one ill get near)

my first semester marks were 2 d's and 2 p's - :( the p's were for maths and physics... im suprised i passed at all. next semester im doing electives that are not so hard so ill prolli be able to do alot better with them.

i heard that uts takes like a personal statement into account?? and if im already at uts, are they more likely to share teh <3 and let me in ... or is it a real strict thang? :eek:
UTS likes personal statements and students who are already there. Except it's easier for an intra faculty transfer rather then a inter-faculty transfer, as you would have to move from engineering to the design faculty I think.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
so basically if u didn't do that well in hsc, and wanted to do law at uts, u could do a lower uai course, then internally transfer into law at uts, then if u rip it up, transfer to unsw?

HSC
velox said:
so basically if u didn't do that well in hsc, and wanted to do law at uts, u could do a lower uai course, then internally transfer into law at uts, then if u rip it up, transfer to unsw?

but ur gonna ace the HSC, u implied it in the other thread :rolleyes: lol

anyway if u dont do 'well' in the HSC but still get a good enough UAI according to people who know what they are talking about (ie, admission officers etc) and get into a lower UAI course, u can do a mid-year transfer if u get a GPA over 5.1, ie, better than credit average (its similar policy for all unis i think). Then once in law, 'rip it up' and transfer to UNSW through UAC at end of year.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
What's the likelihood of transferring into Syd Arts/Law with a UAI 1.25 points below and first semester results of 3 D's and an HD? I know transferring into law there is highly competitive...

HSC
gemita said:
What's the likelihood of transferring into Syd Arts/Law with a UAI 1.25 points below and first semester results of 3 D's and an HD? I know transferring into law there is highly competitive...
i would think that ur chances are VERY good

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, a 98+UAI and a 6.0 GPA (distinction average) should do the trick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)