Transfer to uts law still possible? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I just got back some pretty bad results for this semester , so my gpa is now 5.375... can I still get into law at uts?

My application was pretty good, with 1 year's voluntary experience with a law firm, some good community service stuff etc....

I've given up on making it into the hecs course so this would be for full fee, I am understanding that the uai equivilent of 5.375 is like 90-91? if so, then as the predicted fee-paying cut off should be around 93, as long as my questionaire fairs about as well as my marks, should I only require a reduction in the cut-off due to nrsl of about 2 uai points?

If so would that make my chances fair? or is it back to the drawing board?

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
i was interested in doing law here and talked to alot of the people, the general answer was that they dont have a set GPA, because it varies from year to year, your competing against other people so it changes, obviously the higher the better, but they said what you write in your questionnaire was considered to be more important, so if you mention all your law experience and other shit in the questionnaire and write well enough, im pretty sure you can make it, especially with full fee.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
whats your UAI? UTS goes application on 25% UAI, 25% GPA, 50% personal questionnaire

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My own feelings are that I have kinda a 50/50 chance, however I would be interested to hear from other uts transfers such as frigid i believe?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i transferred from UTS to UNSW, NTB.

but i had a friend who did something communications who had a bad UAI (something mid 80s or something), and transferred into law based on her marks in "Legal Process and History" (the equivalent of legal foundations) as an elective, recommendation from lecturer, and her personal questionnaire. i would think, from this, that UTS transfer into law is quite flexible.

but as i always say, keep the application open and see how you go mid-january. :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
For Non-Current School Leaver applicants, selection will be based on 50% compulsory Faculty of Law Questionnaire and 50% academic merit. Academic merit is determined on the basis of any qualifications listed below in the section “Qualifications used in Selection”. Generally the qualification with the highest academic achievement is considered for Non Current School Leavers.
Australian Tertiary Qualifications
See the end of this document for the definition of Full Time Equivalence
Non-Award Studies.
Bachelor Degree Studies including designated Non-
• Bachelor degree studies – incomplete Bachelor degree
greater FTE (graded) and completed Bachelor degree
will consider Australian Bachelor level study of one (1)
including completed Bachelor and Honours degrees.
http://www.uts.edu.au/study/pdfs/ug_crit_law.pdf

I also called up uts to confirm it ages ago....

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Master Yoda said:
since when was a uai of mid 80s or anywhere in the 80s 'bad' ?
i think you know what i mean matty.

a mid-80s or thereabouts will not get you into law at any of the metropolitan universities; that being part of the purpose of the threadmaker's question.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i don't think there is no need to be so politically-correct matty.

of course, different people have different abilities, expectations and UAIs. and you and i both know what is a high or low UAI is a subjective question and only relative to the course to which one wishes to apply. thus, if i got a 80ish UAI, i would think it a bad result, whereas someone else might think it was okay, whereas another person might think it was a good result.

i think people would forgive me if they know i was speaking in the specific and not the general.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I just got back some pretty bad results for this semester , so my gpa is now 5.375... can I still get into law at uts?

My application was pretty good, with 1 year's voluntary experience with a law firm, some good community service stuff etc....

I've given up on making it into the hecs course so this would be for full fee, I am understanding that the uai equivilent of 5.375 is like 90-91? if so, then as the predicted fee-paying cut off should be around 93, as long as my questionaire fairs about as well as my marks, should I only require a reduction in the cut-off due to nrsl of about 2 uai points?

If so would that make my chances fair? or is it back to the drawing board?
no, your stuck with uws for life, your not qualified to proceed further :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
80-85 is a bad uai. full stop. if youve studied heaps and given the hsc a high degree of effort, you won't get an 80-85 uai.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
although subjective for everyone, objectively, it is a bad uai

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
stazi said:
although subjective for everyone, objectively, it is a bad uai
I think an objectively 'ordinary' uai is around 70. Essentially it means you finished in the middle of the pack.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
'not everyone can get a uai in the 90s no matter how good their marks are'
umm..generally if you get good marks, then you get a high uai. the two are correlated

Generator

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
80-85 is a bad uai. full stop. if youve studied heaps and given the hsc a high degree of effort, you won't get an 80-85 uai.
Are you that insecure, stazi? Why? Is there some sort of hidden message behind all of that "omg modergayor cum to me you sexy man for bumsex" talk? If so, I do hope that you sort yourself out someday.

For the record, a bad UAI is one that doesn't get you into your preferred course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)