General Transfering Q (1 Viewer)

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
I just finished HSC, uai is BAD, chance of getting into the course i want is soo silm. I am left wif last option...transfering

So is it more wise to:

1. Do a course that is related to the course that you want to transfer into, but they are in seprate unis?

or

2. Do a course thats in the same uni but with little or no relation?

0r

3. transfer from TAFE?

wat are the chances of success for each option?

HSC
Good question. I'm also in the same boat and interested to know what to do. I got 80 odd uai but for the course i want to do i need 84. (I blame my school lol)

From this slight difference it seems like a waste to do something at tafe for a couple years to get into the course. So whats the best option for ppl who are only a few points off from their course? Do a similar course, get a credit average and transfer? I've also heard u can organise a meeting with the dean of the uni and try to get in that way... or maybe one of the other ways already listed would be best. I'm sure alot of school leavers really want to know.

Or maybe just pray no one wants to do the course so the marks drop and u get a late round offer :)

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
i wanted to get 85 but i got in 70's (i really didnt expect this)
big difference for me.

so i really need to know the chances. its a life decision here.

some tafe course already closed their applications. (a bit late for the ppl like me)

X

xeuyrawp

tachiapple said:
so i really need to know the chances. its a life decision here.
We really need to know what courses/marks/unis you are looking at.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
okay then (sorry to crash in on your thread tachiapple).

wollongong uni double degree b. comm with b. science(pyschology). uai needed 84.... I have 80.

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
PwarYuex said:
i am lookin at industrial design either at uts (81.05) or industrial at unsw (78)

so its either i am doin industrial design at usw or canberra then transfer into industrial at uts or unsw.
or
arts or science degrees at either uts or unsw then transfer to industrial.
or
TAFE
or
new option - repeat

i am just afraid that the cut-offs will rise this year.

generally which option would be considered the best option. coz i know want to do the industrial course.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm. basically i would avoid repeating the hsc, waste of time that might not guarantee you get in... i would also try and steer clear of tafe, cause alot of the time the diploma's or whatever take a while to finish, you might not get full credit anyway, AND uni's regard a year of university study more highly than a tafe diploma. (correct me if im wrong but from what i remember like a D average in a completed tafe diploma, which may take two years, gets you an nrsl index of roughly the same as a credit or just below credit average after one year of uni study ~88ish)

There's hope if you're close to the cut off, you never know ;) ... but if you dont get in i'd advise that you choose a degree at uni that you'll like, and can do well at ... because you need the marks. it doesn't necessarily need to be the same/similar degree but if you can, its just a bonus cause you'll be able to transfer some cp's across... good luck :)

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
i got 78. close to the unsw requirements... wat did u get shortygb?

i heard that inorder to transfer i needed a credit ave to transfer course to course and distinct ave to transfer uni to uni with similar course or transfering from different courses.

with my uai, i can only get into arts or science degrees (i heard to get a credit ave is extremely hard...not to mention distinct ave)

its just that, if i do repeat in tafe den i think i should be able to get above 80 coz i have somesort of advantage!??!

X

xeuyrawp

Marcus Aurelius said:
okay then (sorry to crash in on your thread tachiapple).

wollongong uni double degree b. comm with b. science(pyschology). uai needed 84.... I have 80.
I'll answer you in another thread or via PM more fully, but, depending on demand, you would only need a lower-distinction/high-credit average, I would think.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'll answer you in another thread or via PM more fully, but, depending on demand, you would only need a lower-distinction/high-credit average, I would think.
high-credit average in what? a commerce degree?
Well thats do-able. Thanx for ya help. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming months with the offers.

danieljarvis

HSC
yeah im in the same boat. i got 70.15 and wanted to get into an 80 course at macquarie.. but will apply for one thats 75 ish (and hopefully dropping) and TRY get in through geographical proximity and luck then to transfer. If not ill have to try for canberra, and if no luck there... UWS !

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I would personally go with option 1 as you can count credits for previous studies and your marks will be accepted for that particular course (which at some institutions will also help give you higher priority in transfer as you've done relevant subjects).

HSC
But if its a new course, doesn't that just mean that there's no UAI specified yet, and it depends on the supply&demand of the course? And isn't it quite hard to get higher grades for engineering cos of the difficulty of the subject? (this is pure speculation though, coming from engineering friends' conversations then anything else...)

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
apparently, i heard that to get a transfer into any UNSW course, u need a high-distincation average. So the common myth of getting a normal credit average and be able to transfer is actuallywrong?

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
apparently, i heard that to get a transfer into any UNSW course, u need a high-distincation average. So the common myth of getting a normal credit average and be able to transfer is actuallywrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)