Accept Uni Notre Dame or UWS? INSIDERS advice plz =) (1 Viewer)

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Hi guys!
I have accepted a UWS Law offer through UAC & was (literally) one of the last applicants to Notre Dame, before their enrolment day deadline!! PHEW!

Thing is, Im not sure which is the better choice. I think I'll enjoy the campus culture @ Notre Dame more, but its hard to say, cos there's so little open discussion about this uni!! Most info is just official promo stuff on their website. I was so desparate I youtubed XD

I DO know that @both:
a) the law schools are pretty new, so the reputation is kinda "not-there-yet" (unlike USyd, UNSW etc, yes yes I realise)
b) Supposedly have better lecturer/student rapport than the bigger unis

So which one? and most importantly-why?
[Eg How's the social side, campus culture, quality of teaching (@ Notre Dame- I've already been told by many that UWS is really practical & stuff) & the GOLDEN EGG: Graduate employment opportunities!!]

Since, Im now seriously considering both, not just exploring options, I'd love for you guys to post personal/ friend EXPERIENCES only. (Not general hearsay)

Thanks =P

sean1990

HSC
I can give you my experience of uws law. Very good, you can appreciate the fact that they have some excellent people working there but you will still be questioned for going to uws (unfortunately)- but if reputation doesn't matter then uws would be fine.

Norte dame isn't an option in my opinion

enoilgam

HSC
Notre Dame law is actually quite good. The course is very practical and the lecturers are great. The classes are very small (so is the uni), which gives it a very "high school" like feel. A lot of people are quick to bag the university but its worth a go - I chose it over MQ law and I was prepared to go there over any other university because I believe in the uni and its the best fit for me.

HSC
At Notre Dame it's compulsory to take Introduction to Theology for EVERY degree they have - no joke http://www.nd.edu.au/university/core_curriculum.shtml. If anything, just letting you know so you don't waste $1000 or so on a subject that you may not realise was involved in your degree. Yes I know they're a catholic based university, but that is not right to enforce that each student take a religious subject. ACU don't do that (as far as my knowledge goes). However if you belong to the catholic faith, then I guess this subject is no problem for you. I'm not trying to stir up drama, just letting you know incase you were not aware that this subject is compulsory. This subject is not really relevant to your course (but then neither are free electives to anybody's course, but at least they're electives and not core components.).

I haven't attended either university, so cannot tell you which is better. I just wanted to stop by and drop you this information, because if you didn't know it before, would come as a big shock I am sure. I hope you don't read this as rude. I'd be posting the same stuff if the compulsory unit was boilermaking or boot polishing.

enoilgam

HSC
At Notre Dame it's compulsory to take Introduction to Theology for EVERY degree they have - no joke http://www.nd.edu.au/university/core_curriculum.shtml. If anything, just letting you know so you don't waste $1000 or so on a subject that you may not realise was involved in your degree. Yes I know they're a catholic based university, but that is not right to enforce that each student take a religious subject. ACU don't do that (as far as my knowledge goes). However if you belong to the catholic faith, then I guess this subject is no problem for you. I'm not trying to stir up drama, just letting you know incase you were not aware that this subject is compulsory. This subject is not really relevant to your course (but then neither are free electives to anybody's course, but at least they're electives and not core components.).

I haven't attended either university, so cannot tell you which is better. I just wanted to stop by and drop you this information, because if you didn't know it before, would come as a big shock I am sure. I hope you don't read this as rude. I'd be posting the same stuff if the compulsory unit was boilermaking or boot polishing.
The compulsory units are dead easy - a good way to bump up the GPA. I entered the first one super skeptical (i.e. what a waste of money, time, this wont help me for my degree etc), but I actually didnt mind the course. But I will admit, it is a turn off for many. This year they have restructured it and apparently you can choose to pursue areas more related to your degree, but I'm not exactly sure how they will work.

HSC
The compulsory units are dead easy - a good way to bump up the GPA. I entered the first one super skeptical (i.e. what a waste of money, time, this wont help me for my degree etc), but I actually didnt mind the course. But I will admit, it is a turn off for many. This year they have restructured it and apparently you can choose to pursue areas more related to your degree, but I'm not exactly sure how they will work.
Fair enough :) I guess if people don't really mind taking it, then whatever floats their boat and I hope they pass it well. I'd just be really shocked to find this out :(

I nearly died over this compulsory course subject Aboriginal People (broome only). Like in the same way French studies isn't called French People, could this not be named with a bit more sensitivity? :p

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Fair enough :) I guess if people don't really mind taking it, then whatever floats their boat and I hope they pass it well. I'd just be really shocked to find this out :(

I nearly died over this compulsory course subject Aboriginal People (broome only). Like in the same way French studies isn't called French People, could this not be named with a bit more sensitivity? :p
Haha LOL I think I get ur point. But in terms of the Logos Course at Notre Dame, Ive read about it and it seems alright- I mean Im not so crash hot about it, but I can live with it. Besides, philosophy may be interesting?

And Enoilgam, I was wondering, "highschool like feel" - do you say it in a positive or negative light? Hehe ignore my pm- didnt realise u had replied to this thread.

Thanks for all ur contributions! With enrolments coming up, Im very very close to deciding on Notre Dame- location & campus wise it beats uws. i cant say much else about the 'feel' cos everyones still on stuvac lol

New question =) What do you think of the Law student society @ Notre Dame? (assuming there is one?) I hear lots of great things from unsw etc, but have no idea about UWS or UNDA.

Last edited:

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Norte dame isn't an option in my opinion
Hmmm... so im inferring that u feel that reputation wise, even uws is better? Ive heard some great things about Notre Dame, so am really curious why you say so. Great to hear that UWS law works for u tho

Mayb-no-mayb-so

HSC
Oh yeah, @ Sean1990, can you tell me what u think of the Law student society @ UWS? To prove ur point against UNDA ...

Im not the biggest, party-hard socialite, but still, I would love to have an active Law Student Society, cos studying can be BORING when ur on ur own.

enoilgam

HSC
Oh yeah, @ Sean1990, can you tell me what u think of the Law student society @ UWS? To prove ur point against UNDA ...

Im not the biggest, party-hard socialite, but still, I would love to have an active Law Student Society, cos studying can be BORING when ur on ur own.
There is a law student society at UNDA and they are pretty active.

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
Well I go to Notre Dame Syd Law , and I also know several ppl who go to UWS , USYD , UNSW law etc. Workload i'd say Notre Dame is very intense , just as comprehensive as the rest if not more. It is a small university , having said that the reputation is growing like wildfire. Plus it's a city university , wedged inbetween UTS and USYD , seems more 'posh' to the average joe (if that appeals to you).

Im currently on my third year and it's great. Yes we do have mandatory courses but now they have been ammeneded as flexible study , so you can choose to do it over like 3 years now attending various lecturers for thoss subjects like ethics or philosophy. So really it won't overwhelm you and having completed each , they are dead easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)