Should i pursue law? (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering if i should consider law.
I know the cutoff is like 99.7 but i want ur opinions btw i'm in year 10 if that helps.
I'm more of a science and maths based person and I attend a top 10 school. I also do debating and i do french at a uni level.
For my hsc i'm doing:
MX2
MX1
Chem (accelerated)
Adv english
Ex1 english
french contineurs (accelerated)
french ext

bangladesh

HSC
honestly, what do you expect people to say? No one on this forum knows you or knows what you're like and your school/subjects aren't a good indicator of where your passion lies as people tend to choose subjects based on scaling rather than interest.

Do some work experience in whatever field you think you might be interested in and see if you like it or not.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hi guys,
I know the cutoff is like 99.7 but i want ur opinions btw i'm in year 10 if that helps.
I'm more of a science and maths based person and I attend a top 10 school. I also do debating and i do french at a uni level.
For my hsc i'm doing:
MX2
MX1
Chem (accelerated)
Adv english
Ex1 english
french ext

Yeah of course, but it's still early days and your thoughts may change. I only realised what I actually want to do half way in year 12, luckily I sorta have the right subjects for it (not all though). So yes definitely go for it. But you're more maths/science based? Wouldn't that go more with Medicine?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The ATAR cut off is approximately 99.70 if you wish to pursue an undergraduate law degree in either UNSW or USYD provided you don't have any bonus points, the cut off for law is lower for other unis. You are the only person who can decide whether you are cut out for law-law is really very language based and all about written expressions-all of your assignments are likely to be in a written format. If you are a science or maths based person, perhaps you should consider pursuing a science/engineering/medicine degree? Have a serious think about the reasons why you may wish to pursue law and try to do a bit more research to assist you in making an informed decision.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Out of curiosity, can I ask why the 'futuremedstudent' is thinking about becoming 'futurelawstudent'. I had to make that joke sorry, but what is it that's making you change your mind?
that's ok :D i wish i could change the name.
I need a back up plan if i don't get into medicine.

ivorybranches

HSC
To be honest your 'back up' plans should still be linked to your primary goal of medicine. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but law is a very demanding course and so you need to want to pursue law because you are interested and you enjoy it, not necessarily for the status and money (not saying that you are but a lot of people I know are).

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
To be honest your 'back up' plans should still be linked to your primary goal of medicine. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but law is a very demanding course and so you need to want to pursue law because you are interested and you enjoy it, not necessarily for the status and money (not saying that you are but a lot of people I know are).
I want to do medicine but i don't mind studying law if i don't get it into med and i'm willing to work hard. I know lots of people who want to be a doctor or a lawyer for the money and the prestige.

ivorybranches

HSC
Oh okay well that's good that you have a realistic outlook! :)
I guess this doesn't really help to answer your question, but strawberrye provided a good answer.
You are in year 10 so honestly you do have a while to go, I was in a similar situation but decided that I probably wouldn't enjoy law, but enjoyed the occasional debate. A piece of advice given to me at a leadership event was not to think necessarily about 'what you want to be' but 'who you want to be'. (I'm not sure if that helps - but it's all I have at the moment, so hopefully some other users can chip in!) :)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Oh okay well that's good that you have a realistic outlook! :)
I guess this doesn't really help to answer your question, but strawberrye provided a good answer.
You are in year 10 so honestly you do have a while to go, I was in a similar situation but decided that I probably wouldn't enjoy law, but enjoyed the occasional debate. A piece of advice given to me at a leadership event was not to think necessarily about 'what you want to be' but 'who you want to be'. (I'm not sure if that helps - but it's all I have at the moment, so hopefully some other users can chip in!) :)
Thanks for all the tips :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I want to do medicine but i don't mind studying law if i don't get it into med and i'm willing to work hard. I know lots of people who want to be a doctor or a lawyer for the money and the prestige.
Sounds like you are one of those people too, as harsh as that sounds.

Because if you really did want to do Medicine, you wouldn't be saying "I don't mind studying law if I don't get into Med". A person who really want to get into Medicine does not give up that easily. I know many many people who did not get into undergraduate Medicine. Instead, they do Medical Science (which IMO is a bad idea but that's another story), Pharmacy (same) or Physiotherapy to try to transfer later on or perhaps enter Medicine post-grad. THESE are the people who truly deserve a position (assuming they actually put in effort) because not for one second did they deviate from what they wanted.

Believe me when I say that Law is something that you don't want to do if you "Don't mind studying Law". You will almost certainly be one of the many Law drop-outs if you enter Law with that mentality.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Sounds like you are one of those people too, as harsh as that sounds.

Because if you really did want to do Medicine, you wouldn't be saying "I don't mind studying law if I don't get into Med". A person who really want to get into Medicine does not give up that easily. I know many many people who did not get into undergraduate Medicine. Instead, they do Medical Science (which IMO is a bad idea but that's another story), Pharmacy (same) or Physiotherapy to try to transfer later on or perhaps enter Medicine post-grad. THESE are the people who truly deserve a position (assuming they actually put in effort) because not for one second did they deviate from what they wanted.

Believe me when I say that Law is something that you don't want to do if you "Don't mind studying Law". You will almost certainly be one of the many Law drop-outs if you enter Law with that mentality.
Hi :)
Thanks for the tips.
I want to get into med cos i've actually sat in many med tutorials and i have a genuine interest in this area. I want to be doctor cos of the work not for money/bragging rights/prestige etc. I also don't want to do medical science cos transferring is like nearly impossible and i don't want to sit the gamsat.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Hi :)
Thanks for the tips.
I want to get into med cos i've actually sat in many med tutorials and i have a genuine interest in this area. I want to be doctor cos of the work not for money/bragging rights/prestige etc. I also don't want to do medical science cos transferring is like nearly impossible and i don't want to sit the gamsat.
I don't understand why you're considering law then unless you happen to have the same genuine interest in law, which generally speaking will be quite unlikely. Is there any particular reason why you have been considering law, other than as a back-up for medicine? I would recommend that if medicine is ultimately what you want to do, concentrate on that. :)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I don't understand why you're considering law then unless you happen to have the same genuine interest in law, which generally speaking will be quite unlikely. Is there any particular reason why you have been considering law, other than as a back-up for medicine? I would recommend that if medicine is ultimately what you want to do, concentrate on that. :)
I want to do law as a second option because i went to a careers expo 2 weeks ago and i sat down talked to some lawyers and uni reps about the course and after that i found it interesting.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Medicine and law are dramatically different disciplines, and rarely does one end up enjoying law if they had wanted to pursue medicine in the first place. There are many people who have transferred into medicine successfully from medical science and many who have made it through GAMSAT, given you are such a bright kid, I am a bit puzzled why you think it is 'impossible' to transfer even if you don't get in the first time around.

Just on a side note, grab a law textbook when you have the time and have a flick through it-if you feel you are engaged by it in some way-then consider it as a possible option. Expos can be a bit deceiving because the people there wants to persuade you that the careers they are promoting are the best.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Medicine and law are dramatically different disciplines, and rarely does one end up enjoying law if they had wanted to pursue medicine in the first place. There are many people who have transferred into medicine successfully from medical science and many who have made it through GAMSAT, given you are such a bright kid, I am a bit puzzled why you think it is 'impossible' to transfer even if you don't get in the first time around.

Just on a side note, grab a law textbook when you have the time and have a flick through it-if you feel you are engaged by it in some way-then consider it as a possible option. Expos can be a bit deceiving because the people there wants to persuade you that the careers they are promoting are the best.
Thanks for the great advice :)
Sorry if this is off topic but how is uni?
I think i read somewhere that only like 2% of people successfully transfer to med and the gamsat is 4-6 hours long.
I shall go on amazon and look at one of the law books.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the great advice :)
Sorry if this is off topic but how is uni?
I think i read somewhere that only like 2% of people successfully transfer to med and the gamsat is 4-6 hours long.
I shall go on amazon and look at one of the law books.
Uni has been a great learning experience-very steep learning curve-sometimes dramatic and fun. Forget about statistics, for all you know, you might be the less than 1% year 10 students who are currently doing accelerated subjects and studying a language at uni levels. Statistics means nothing since as cliché as it is even the word 'impossible' implies 'I 'm possible', you probably have got a pretty strong chance in getting into undergraduate medicine. You should physically read through a law book-(not one of those generalised law guides, but on a specific area of law, i.e. torts, administrative law, taxation etc) to get a better idea of what the study of law actually entails.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Uni has been a great learning experience-very steep learning curve-sometimes dramatic and fun. Forget about statistics, for all you know, you might be the less than 1% year 10 students who are currently doing accelerated subjects and studying a language at uni levels. Statistics means nothing since as cliché as it is even the word 'impossible' implies 'I 'm possible', you probably have got a pretty strong chance in getting into undergraduate medicine. You should physically read through a law book-(not one of those generalised law guides, but on a specific area of law, i.e. torts, administrative law, taxation etc) to get a better idea of what the study of law actually entails.
Thanks for all the advice and tips :) btw i love the cliche, it's cute.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Like the others have have said, only do it if you want to. It's as simple and as complex as that. If you have a vague interest in it, then go for it - no harm done (you can always drop it). But if you have absolutely no interest in it, then don't. And also, you're in yr 10 - I don't think you can have a clear idea of what you want to do anyway. I know it's good to be thinking about uni courses etc, but there's no harm keeping your options open. You want to do med, so just aim for that, and if you don't get in, deal with it when it comes. I think it's too early to be planning for back up plans so early because your interests could dramatically change in the space of 2 years. I had no idea what I wanted to do until halfway through year 12.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Like the others have have said, only do it if you want to. It's as simple and as complex as that. If you have a vague interest in it, then go for it - no harm done (you can always drop it). But if you have absolutely no interest in it, then don't. And also, you're in yr 10 - I don't think you can have a clear idea of what you want to do anyway. I know it's good to be thinking about uni courses etc, but there's no harm keeping your options open. You want to do med, so just aim for that, and if you don't get in, deal with it when it comes. I think it's too early to be planning for back up plans so early because your interests could dramatically change in the space of 2 years. I had no idea what I wanted to do until halfway through year 12.
Thanks for the tips :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi guys,
For my hsc i'm doing:
MX2
MX1
Chem (accelerated)
Adv english
Ex1 english
french ext

first thing i noticed

No Legal Studies

are you serious

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)