How hard would you say a degree in Law is at macquarie? (1 Viewer)

darkman77

HSC
N/A
currently in yr 12. i dont think i will get a 97 atar to do law, but probs will get something close to like 87 so might transfer into a double degree with Law after 1 year. But since the atar is so high for it im contemplating on whether I should actually be doing it , will I be able to cope? In comparison to other degrees how hard is it?
I know their is a lot of reading and shit, that doesnt seem too bad.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Unless you wanna practise law I would advise steering clear of it, there is an enormous amount of double degree law students in Australia and the 2nd degree won't be as helpful as you think.

Also
I know their is a lot of reading and shit, that doesnt seem too bad.
If you think reading is meh, probably steer clear of law. Theres like 30 pages of readings per lecture/tute and lawyers are essentially walking law libraries.

Orwell

HSC
I really want to practice law but as you said, there's so many people with the same idea.

I'm genuinely worried lmao.

darkman77

HSC
N/A
yea but would U say the atar requirement is a reflection of the difficulty of the course? how would u compare it to other courses with lower atar requirements such as finance even though it is more mathematical

Last edited:

RyanT7

HSC
yea but would U say the atar requirement is a reflection is a reflection of the difficulty of the course? how would u compare it to other courses with lower atar requirements such as finance even though it is more mathematical
The atar cut off is simply a reflection of the supply and demand of a course. It is not exactly an indicator of a course's difficulty, but the courses with the highest cut offs tend to be the most prestigious and what people think would provide them with the best career opportunities and $. These courses are usually "difficult" due to this reason, but isn't always the case. There are probably a good amount of courses that may have a low atar cut off, but that doesn't mean its easy.

tl;dr : Atar cut off is a reflection of the supply and demand of a course. Keep in mind that some atar cut offs are inflated due to bonus points and what not

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Studying law is piss easy, practising law is a whole different ball game...

The people I have seen graduate law, trust me, if they can do it with minimal effort, anyone can... (I would probably put myself in that same collection of bastard cases)

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Studying law is piss easy, practising law is a whole different ball game...

The people I have seen graduate law, trust me, if they can do it with minimal effort, anyone can... (I would probably put myself in that same collection of bastard cases)
I wouldn't agree with this statement simply because law is a very specific subject that requires a specific set of analytical skills. It's not reading and reproducing read material. You actually have to understand it and apply it.
If what you're trying to say is that you don't have to be a genius to graduate with a law degree - that's true, but it's like that with a lot of degrees. Practicing law is applying what you have learnt. Imo if you suck at practicing then you probably sucked at law school too except school gives you a mediocre grade whereas in the real world it shows as actual results in cases and you'll probably get fired if you're horrible at it.
So yeah, you can pass any degree but will you be good at it?

To the OP. ATAR requirements represent the supply/demand of a degree not how difficult it is. Law is more difficult than Commerce because of its volume and because it's not as straightforward as the latter, however if you're inept at maths you will struggle in finance etc. If law is what you want to do then do it and give 100%. Most people taking law don't actually want to practice it and make the grave mistake of taking it as a generalist degree which it isn't.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)