Are there no jobs for lawyers (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
I want to enter the law field (I understand there's a lot of monetary incentive but I'm genuinely passionate to practice law), but there's a real threat that there's no jobs for lawyers. I know I'm not entering law for money but I mean... $$$. I just want to live comfortably and I thought grinding out hours of study, working a lot, etc... would be a means of achieving that.

My business teacher was talking about how teaching would be a better option. There's a demand for good teachers, they make more money out of university than law graduates, they don't work as much, there's more options for them to make money (tutoring, HSC marking, etc...) I like the idea of teaching, but I had my heart set on being a lawyer and would rather do that.

I also kinda wanted to do Commerce/Law. Anyone got any ideas or advice for me?

enoilgam

HSC
There are definitely jobs in the law field, it is just competitive and some people miss out. If you work hard on professional development during uni, you shouldn't have an issue. If you dont put in any effort to develop yourself and expect to waltz out of uni and land straight into a job then chances are you will be unemployed (that can be said for every field to be honest).

Orwell

HSC
Well fuck...Where can I get past papers for it?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Well fuck...Where can I get past papers for it?
The LAT has only been introduced this year, so there are very limited resources out there.

So basically there's nothing, so to speak.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
If you really want to practise law I'm sure you can. The mindset of really wanting it will hopefully push you past the level of those arrogant people who do combined law because they think it will make them look smart to employers. My english teacher who studied a law degree (anecdotal evidence I know but hear me out) said he wasn't able to find a job despite getting a crazy atar and good marks in uni because there were just so many people ready to work way harder and who were way more passionate than he was about it. He did it because he thought with a high atar (like really high 90s) why not. If you are prepared to work long and hard you'll get the jobs over those people anyday. That guy who posted yesterday about law and not minding that "there is a lot of reading and shit" is the reason that law is saturated.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Excess supply of Law graduates. But if you want to do it, that's fine. I want to do it too, not for the money, but for the passion.

And yeah, I did the LAT already. You can do it next year, but you don't need to do it, if you don't want to get into UNSW Law.

Orwell

HSC
Yeah. But with UNSW, what score do you need to get in the LAT to be accepted?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Yeah. But with UNSW, what score do you need to get in the LAT to be accepted?
It's the first year that they have ever done it, so no one knows. I guess you'll find out when the main offer happens, the LAT results come out next month.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Switched two jobs in the space of eight months... Liking where I am now, the other firm was a hell hole...

Took me about 7 months to find my first role after I graduated... Getting going is the struggle, finding something afterwards, not so much...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I want to enter the law field (I understand there's a lot of monetary incentive but I'm genuinely passionate to practice law), but there's a real threat that there's no jobs for lawyers. I know I'm not entering law for money but I mean... $$$. I just want to live comfortably and I thought grinding out hours of study, working a lot, etc... would be a means of achieving that.

My business teacher was talking about how teaching would be a better option. There's a demand for good teachers, they make more money out of university than law graduates, they don't work as much, there's more options for them to make money (tutoring, HSC marking, etc...) I like the idea of teaching, but I had my heart set on being a lawyer and would rather do that.

I also kinda wanted to do Commerce/Law. Anyone got any ideas or advice for me?
If you want to live comfortably become a plumber. You will not make bank as a lawyer.

Doing a 5 year degree means you sacrifice 2 years of earnings + additional HECS costs + GDLP cost if you don't land a graduate job that subsidises your qualification. You will probably wind up in an unrelated industry, a compliance role, or IF YOU'RE LUCKY an awful suburban firm. The majority of law students don't wind up in law, and my bet is that it isn't by choice since it's a vocational degree.

If you're set on law, make sure that you combine it with a degree that will broaden your options when you graduate. Either an arts degree or a commerce degree. Personally, I think doing law was the biggest mistake of my life, and everyone I'm still in touch with from law school except for two very talented people who wound up at the bar and a friend who has done quite well think the same thing - even the ones who did land decent jobs after graduation.

Orwell

HSC
If you want to live comfortably become a plumber. You will not make bank as a lawyer.

Doing a 5 year degree means you sacrifice 2 years of earnings + additional HECS costs + GDLP cost if you don't land a graduate job that subsidises your qualification. You will probably wind up in an unrelated industry, a compliance role, or IF YOU'RE LUCKY an awful suburban firm. The majority of law students don't wind up in law, and my bet is that it isn't by choice since it's a vocational degree.

If you're set on law, make sure that you combine it with a degree that will broaden your options when you graduate. Either an arts degree or a commerce degree. Personally, I think doing law was the biggest mistake of my life, and everyone I'm still in touch with from law school except for two very talented people who wound up at the bar and a friend who has done quite well think the same thing - even the ones who did land decent jobs after graduation.
Fuck me, I'm so worried now.

I was thinking Humanitarian/Social Justice Law.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Every law degree is basically identical. People choose different electives but when you're applying for graduate jobs the electives largely mean jack and shit.

No matter what you plan on doing, you NEED to work while you're at university to be competitive for graduate jobs. Either something in a related professional field, or a job in sales. Pick a few skills you can develop now that will add some flavour to your job applications too - learn a language etc. It helps with applications and makes you look like a more well rounded applicant.

Oh and teaching is pretty shit right now too, a lot of people are stuck in casual/part time hell, TESOL hell or are moving to the UK. The best thing you can do as an undergraduate is to make yourself as well rounded as possible, this increases your options, and your plans will change over time - you're going to be 23 or 24 when you graduate.

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
Problem isn't that I can't move into another profession or an area where I can make money.

It's that I genuinely enjoy law and had my heart set on it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Problem isn't that I can't move into another profession or an area where I can make money.

It's that I genuinely enjoy law and had my heart set on it.
What were you planning on combining it with?

Orwell

HSC
International Law was something that appealed to me, but as was Commercial Law.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
International Law was something that appealed to me, but as was Commercial Law.
Those are just flavours of law that you'll cover as electives later on in your degree. AFAIK most universities still require you to combine your law degree with another degree, something like arts, commerce, science etc. Do you have any interests outside of law?

Orwell

HSC
Politics.

I was hoping to do a stint as a lawyer then move into politics.

Possibly do something related to human rights, a diplomat/ambassador.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)