Finance/commerce (accounting) or Law/commerce (accounting), which has more 'scope'? (1 Viewer)

felix04490

HSC
Contemplating between the two. Since their arent many employment opportunites in law, which one would you say is more rewarding in a commerce based industry? Do employers appeal to a law degree when applying for a commerce related job? Is it worth it?

clementinez

HSC
N/A
Re: Finance/commerce (accounting) or Law/commerce (accounting), which has more 'scope

There aren't many employment opportunities in law? I don't think this is necessarily true, especially if you do well in the degree.
Law can lead to work in law firms, in-house, public policy, NGO's, government departments, tribunals, private practice.
Accounting/Finance = pretty much anything in business because the two are both useful majors.

Which has more scope?
That's a difficult question because it depends what you want to do. Law/Commerce(Accounting) would allow you to apply both to business roles as well as legal ones while Finance/Accounting would narrow you down solely to the business field. In the case you're leaning towards Law/Commerce but think one business major isn't sufficient for a career in business, keep in mind there's always postgraduate study (MBA, MManagement etc)

Which do employers value more?
I really don't know but if I were an employer my thoughts would be somewhere along the lines of: Law/Commerce(Accounting) - this person has both great analytical, verbal/written skills as well as quantitative knowledge applicable to the business environment. Finance/Accounting - this person has a strong interest in business especially crunching numbers.

In saying all this, maybe think about whether you're really interested and would consider a career in Law. Don't do it just for the sake of the degree because it is a lot of work and it's a professional degree that many confuse for a generalist one.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Re: Finance/commerce (accounting) or Law/commerce (accounting), which has more 'scope

Can you take a double accounting/finance major in a BCom with law? Most universities don't have a separate finance bachelors.

Edit: @ UNSW, yes. Probably at other unis too.

Last edited:

clementinez

HSC
N/A

Can you take a double accounting/finance major in a BCom with law? Most universities don't have a separate finance bachelors.

Edit: @ UNSW, yes. Probably at other unis too.
just wanted to add you can't double major in commerce at USYD when it's combined with Law..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Most people end up doing Finance/Law. You'll get a decent appreciation of introduction to accounting in your first year mandatory subjects. 2nd/3rd year is really more for people who are intending to do something with it I'd say (i.e. professional accounting).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)