Why do people choose to do Law? (1 Viewer)

donkily

HSC
N/A
This may sound like a stupid question but do people choose to do law for exactly the same reasons as to why people study medicine besides it revolves around how society operates?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
This may sound like a stupid question but do people choose to do law for exactly the same reasons as to why people study medicine besides it revolves around how society operates?
If the reasons people study medicine is because of money and parents with high expectations, in my case, I don't want to do law for those reasons, just speaking on behalf of myself though.

I find law to be so interesting and the concepts covered to be exciting to learn about and it can even apply to my life. Cases studies are probably my favourite part of the prospect of doing law since I think it's interesting to learn the behaviours others have and what leads them to do what they do. I guess it does have a lot to do with how society operates but having a job where you basically have a manual to refer to what you're doing and knowing that you could be helping innocent people is really good. Mainly I like family law/cases that impact children and is the path I'd like to pursue (or criminology). Obviously I don't yet have experience in learning much law so I don't know how valid my reasoning is.

It's weird when people choose certain careers for money... having the degree doesn't guarantee the best job in that field.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Passion for justice.
Money.
Career Opportunities.
Prestige.
Interesting.

Jakulore

HSC
I personally chose law because it is something I find to be highly interesting and is something I am passionate about. I mean, reading case studies, going through policy and legislation etc... It is kind of fascinating really, isn't it? I guess the money would be good of course, but I'm not doing the degree for that.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I wanted to do law initially because I thought I'd enjoy the work of a paralegal/lawyer.

You've got to be driven and have some sort of underlying purpose. Normally people who want to practice just enjoy the problem solving, being creative and finding practical solutions for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
>Passion for justice

Overwhelming small companies and poor individuals with the brute force of a huge law firm for maximum $$
You, you're smart... I like that

All props to Suits. Got plenty of undergrad Lawyers hooked in, looking to earn 6 figures when they graduate :)
Meghan Markle though... phooowwwwaaaa

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Why?

Family and social pressures, not knowing what else to do and thinking that "law" sounds like an faultless plan because "society will always need lawyers", people who don't want to "waste" their high ATAR, those who think law is an interesting discipline (most of it is actually quite tedious), and those who think that law is about helping people (it largely isn't).

I don't regret choosing law. I believe I had the passion for it, but it got boring quickly. I don't think I'd fit as well in any other discipline as I do in law, but I don't enjoy it. It's extremely monotonous. i enjoy some subjects more than others but I wouldn't say I'm excited to go to my classes or learn about new things.

I'm also quite burned out but that's another story.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Why?

Family and social pressures, not knowing what else to do and thinking that "law" sounds like an faultless plan because "society will always need lawyers", people who don't want to "waste" their high ATAR, those who think law is an interesting discipline (most of it is actually quite tedious), and those who think that law is about helping people (it largely isn't).

I don't regret choosing law. I believe I had the passion for it, but it got boring quickly. I don't think I'd fit as well in any other discipline as I do in law, but I don't enjoy it. It's extremely monotonous. i enjoy some subjects more than others but I wouldn't say I'm excited to go to my classes or learn about new things.

I'm also quite burned out but that's another story
Don't really enjoy 'learning' law as much as I should myself either (but it's still better than accounting). I also definitely started to feel burnt out towards the end of last year.

Just hoping legal practice will somewhat be better if I go down that route. I've really liked my work experience in the legal environment so far.

donkily

HSC
N/A
Don't really enjoy 'learning' law as much as I should myself either (but it's still better than accounting). I also definitely started to feel burnt out towards the end of last year.

Just hoping legal practice will somewhat be better if I go down that route. I've really liked my work experience in the legal environment so far.
so you picked law mainly because you liked the idea of working as a lawyer?

but if you dont like 'learning' law then how do you get through it personally?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
so you picked law mainly because you liked the idea of working as a lawyer?

but if you dont like 'learning' law then how do you get through it personally?
Doing Commerce (Accounting)/Law and I initially picked Law because I felt it would complement my Commerce degree (I loved Business Studies and Economics in HS and never picked Legal Studies).

Saw Law as an interesting complementary degree and I knew I wanted to do a combined Commerce degree.

After 2-3 years of uni, I realised that legal practice is more enticing for me than a career in accounting. That being said, I still might not practise law (depends on clerkships/graduate jobs). Still open to a career in Tax services. However, the aim is hopefully to practise law.

donkily

HSC
N/A
in law do you have to do "essays" and if so how many and how often?(i know it sounds like a stupid question)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
in law do you have to do "essays" and if so how many and how often?(i know it sounds like a stupid question)
You might have to do 1-2 essays maximum per Law subject. Your mid-semester assignment might be an essay (research essay) and then your final exam could have an essay section.

I'm in 4th year Law now and I feel I've done more "problem question" (so applying the law to a hypothetical situation) assessments than essay assessments over the years. When I did my Contract law subject, there were no essays (both mid-semester assignment and final exam were problem questions).

It's not like HSC English where you have to do 3 essays in a single exam.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
1. they had the marks

2. they wanted to 'improve the world' and/or defend human rights

3. they had no idea what the law was (see above: various TV shows)

4. their family was in the law.

In my experience, that's about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)