How to transfer into usyd law? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello!

I was wondering about the possibility of transferring into USYD law. How would it work if I were to for example transfer from a completely different course such as nursing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

aoc

HSC
To copy and paste from another thread - For UAC transfers (which is most cases), theoretically they use ATAR and GPA/WAM if your ATAR is higher than your GPA/WAM equivalent, and they use just your GPA/WAM if your GPA/WAM equivalent is higher than your ATAR.

So if your atar wasnt >99ish then try get a wam of more than 83 and usyd law is a good possibility.

The course you do doesnt matter usually for transfers, they just look at your atar/atar equivalent/wam

Elixir

HSC
Hello!

I was wondering about the possibility of transferring into USYD law. How would it work if I were to for example transfer from a completely different course such as nursing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey man,

'You can apply for a transfer after at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) tertiary study. Students with more than one full-time year of tertiary study are still eligible to apply. You will be assessed according to either your university grades or your secondary qualifications, whichever is higher. If you have not studied at a tertiary level for one year full-time (or a part-time equivalent) with a full-time load, you will be assessed according to your secondary qualifications only. Experience suggests you will require an ATAR above 99 or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the High Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law. If you are a current Sydney student the weighted average mark (WAM) will be used. An ATAR above 99 or a WAM above 77 will be competitive.

It is possible to transfer from a Combined Law program at another institution and complete the program at Sydney Law School in five years. Please note, however, that the requirements of the degree with which you are combining your Law studies may mean that in some circumstances completion exceeds five years.'

http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/undergrad/faq.shtml

So, you can gather from that the combined law program at Sydney is highly competitive and you pretty much need to go to a uni with the 4 GPA scale (like UTS) to get that HD GPA. In my experience, you need all HDs in all of your units for unis with the 7-point scale which is incredibly difficult. And yeah it doesn't matter what course you do before transferring to law - a HD average in arts is the same as a HD average in engineering for the purposes of transferring to the usyd law program - or any program at any university for that matter.

Hope this helps :)

All the best

Elixir

HSC
Whoops, it seems usyd has changed their website - but this is still good information :)

MontLuna

HSC
N/A
Did you get the transfer? I did ahaa
Hey, I saw you managed to transfer to USYD Law from Macq and was wondering whether I'd be able to ask what your ATAR + WAM is? I'm hoping to transfer next year from QUT Law and am trying to gather info on whether it'll be possible for me or not. The uni hasn't really provided much info and yeah, just seems to be some conflicting info floating around. Thanks for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it :)

MontLuna

HSC
N/A
Wam fluctuates every year

77-83 but last year was 80~ internals,

Aim for HD to secure
Thanks for the info! And do you know whether USYD considers the EAS with a history of tertiary study? I know it says on UAC's website that you can apply with tertiary study, just not sure whether the uni will consider it. I asked someone on the phone at USYD and they said they weren't sure... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)