PLZ HELP (continuation of other thread) (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey peeps i will keep up the attention law students thread and appreciate more feedback on it if possible.

however, as i want to do law i was curious as to whether having not done maths will disadvantage me.

please call me dumb for asking, but all this is very new to me.

thanks x

jelena_nina2001

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No law degree that I know of assumes or recommends any level of mathematics. Unless you decide to pursue something like Taxation Law courses (which will be electives and not compuslory and typically is more accounting related) it is unlikely that you will touch any mathematics at all.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
There's nothing to be gained from having done maths when it comes to a law degree as there is nothing remotely maths related in a law degree (assuming you pair it with Arts). Maths would be an advantage for a Commerce or Economics degree though so really it depends on the combination you choose but as for law itself you're good to go.

If I may ask, why do you feel drawn to a law degree? I read in your previous post that you like English which is definitely a plus considering there will be lots of reading in law but as far as content goes English and Law are very different and a love for one doesn't necessarily translate into a love for the other. Law is a difficult degree and a difficult field to get a job in so you want to be in it for the right reasons otherwise you could end up overworked and unhappy.

HSC
There's nothing to be gained from having done maths when it comes to a law degree as there is nothing remotely maths related in a law degree (assuming you pair it with Arts). Maths would be an advantage for a Commerce or Economics degree though so really it depends on the combination you choose but as for law itself you're good to go.

If I may ask, why do you feel drawn to a law degree? I read in your previous post that you like English which is definitely a plus considering there will be lots of reading in law but as far as content goes English and Law are very different and a love for one doesn't necessarily translate into a love for the other. Law is a difficult degree and a difficult field to get a job in so you want to be in it for the right reasons otherwise you could end up overworked and unhappy.
well i like problem soolving and advocacy thus possibly goint into soliciting

clementinez

HSC
N/A
well i like problem soolving and advocacy thus possibly goint into soliciting
Ok, well, law is definitely the degree for that. Nobody really does single law though because 1. it's four years of just law and you could get two degrees for just one extra year and 2. the workload is bigger if you do single law which, along with the fact that it's a professional degree and as such very focused, puts people off. Have you looked into combining it with Arts (majors like sociology/politics etc)? Arts/Law would have a more manageable workload than single law imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)