I bombed the LAT and idk what to do (1 Viewer)

choices

HSC
I am a Year 12 student that got a LAT percentile of 0-20. I am a generally high-achieving student that is looking at an ATAR in the mid 99's. I have no idea what happened in the exam, I thought i did OK but not amazingly. I did not expect to do this bad. I hold slight suspicions that could be owing to my bad handwriting (which I now think will cost my HSC), or probably more likely I just wasn't good enough.
Anyway, I'm aspiring to do Comm/Law at USYD - maybe I can still get the ATAR. But, if i get an ATAR of about 99.4 or 99.45, not only will I just miss out on USYD Law, but even if that is perceived as high UNSW will still reject me because of my terrible LAT. I've been growing anxious about this over the last few days, and been drastically reconsidering university choices.

I know I have to remember that what is done is done, I can't really control stuff from hereon. Nevertheless, I raise the question - do I still stand a chance to get into UNSW Law if i get an ATAR just below 99.5, or am I screwed?

chefcurry30

HSC
UNSW uses the LAT on a sliding scale, so the higher your ATAR, the less your required LAT has to be, and with a lower ATAR, a higher LAT is needed. So if you're set for an ATAR of 99+ there is a very strong chance you're going to receive an offer for UNSW law. I know of quite a few people who had a LAT similar to yours and with ATARs around the high 97s and mid 98s who still received an offer. If I were you, I wouldn't spend my time worrying away. Enjoy your post-HSC free time and sit tight when HSC results are released. You have a very very high chance of receiving an offer for UNSW law if your ATAR is what you expect it to be. One last thing to note is that UNSW doesn't use the LAT like other unis use the UMAT for medicine entry, where if you receive a subpar percentile your chances are 100% gone, as the students with the high ATAR get in anyway simply because of the sliding scale rule, where their LAT results are barely taken into consideration when releasing offers. That's how its been over the past 2 years anyway. Don't worry too much and best of luck :)

choices

HSC
UNSW uses the LAT on a sliding scale, so the higher your ATAR, the less your required LAT has to be, and with a lower ATAR, a higher LAT is needed. So if you're set for an ATAR of 99+ there is a very strong chance you're going to receive an offer for UNSW law. I know of quite a few people who had a LAT similar to yours and with ATARs around the high 97s and mid 98s who still received an offer. If I were you, I wouldn't spend my time worrying away. Enjoy your post-HSC free time and sit tight when HSC results are released. You have a very very high chance of receiving an offer for UNSW law if your ATAR is what you expect it to be. One last thing to note is that UNSW doesn't use the LAT like other unis use the UMAT for medicine entry, where if you receive a subpar percentile your chances are 100% gone, as the students with the high ATAR get in anyway simply because of the sliding scale rule, where their LAT results are barely taken into consideration when releasing offers. That's how its been over the past 2 years anyway. Don't worry too much and best of luck :)
Bro idk, my mark is basically a mystery mark. I reckon if i got 21st percentile there would be a chance, but for this one no chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)