Transfer into UWS Medicine after First Year. (1 Viewer)

ram14

HSC
Would it be possible to transfer into Medicinr at UWS after a year of Medical Science. I would be considered as a Western Sydney applicant. Gonne be doing Medical Science at Sydney Uni...?

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
ram14 said:
Would it be possible to transfer into Medicinr at UWS after a year of Medical Science. I would be considered as a Western Sydney applicant. Gonne be doing Medical Science at Sydney Uni...?
Actually stacks of people do that. I personally know a few who have done it and based off figures I was reading somewhere, quite a considerable percentage of the UWS students from their first cohort were non-standards (not school leavers).

QuietPlease

HSC
does it have to be Medical Science or can it be any course really? Over here there is no prejudice over doing a M.Sci or just a BSc for example.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Any course at any uni, the min GPA for a non-standard is credit average to be considered.

mhgarage

HSC
I'm a current student (sorry to dig up an old thread)

You can transfer in with some existing uni, and in my case they didn't even look at my GPA from my previous course.

There's some good guide stuff now at the new UWS Medicine medsoc site

UWSMS

charlie91

HSC
mhgarage said:
I'm a current student (sorry to dig up an old thread)

You can transfer in with some existing uni, and in my case they didn't even look at my GPA from my previous course.

There's some good guide stuff now at the new UWS Medicine medsoc site

UWSMS
hey i would like to know do you have to sit the umat and have a 5.5 GPA? i am confused, cause some say you can tranfer with that and some say no. also what should i get out of 300 for the umat?

thanks

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
NO this is not a transfer. You still have to sit umat, obtain a gpa of 5.5+ (like most uni's they only look at your GPA from ur current course, etc) and sit the interview like everyone else.

Charlie91 you should aim as high as possible, weightings change at uws considerably as the scale sections so that at least half the students interviewed are from GWS. Yes, please check out the med school page and read the FAQ which should answer most of your questions. http://www.uws.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/30263/MBBS_Course_Information_2008_doc_-_

Last edited:

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
studying your ass off and getting a gpa of 5.5 is the easy part.

getting a high enough umat is the biggest hurdle.

charlie91

HSC
hey

thanks guys, i know ihave to get a gpa of 5.5 then apply to uac and then sit the interview but my problem is the umat and im scared i wont do well, what do i need to get for that?, cause i got 130 for it this year, do i need like 170+?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
charlie91 said:
hey

thanks guys, i know ihave to get a gpa of 5.5 then apply to uac and then sit the interview but my problem is the umat and im scared i wont do well, what do i need to get for that?, cause i got 130 for it this year, do i need like 170+?
Yeah, you needed mid to high 170's this year with good marks in section 1 and 2.

.blaaahhh.

HSC
hey, does anyone know if getting a gpa of 5.5 is gonna to be really reeeally hard? Maybe not as hard as umat...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
.blaaahhh. said:
hey, does anyone know if getting a gpa of 5.5 is gonna to be really reeeally hard? Maybe not as hard as umat...
It's pretty easy to get.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Maintaining a 5.5 is marginally harder than maintaining a 4.0 which is pretty easy to do as long as you do the work and turn up to stuff. 5.5 requires that you start assignments 2 days before theyre due, and not 1.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
charlie91 said:
hey

130 ->170?

130 is an absolute awefull mark, you prob came in the lowest 10% with that score. and now you want to get 170 which would be in the top few %??

that is like going from a UAI of <30 to 99.90

or running the hundred meter sprint at 15 seconds to 10seconds

or making your IQ jump from 90 to 150

unlike the HSC where you can study your ass off and get a decent score, the UMAT you still can study for, it will give you a marginal increase in your score.

But going from 130 to 170 is fucken huge, u better re-assess your capabilities and goals and see if they are realistic

dolbinau

HSC
rcr4fags said:
130 ->170?

130 is an absolute awefull mark, you prob came in the lowest 10% with that score. and now you want to get 170 which would be in the top few %??

unlike the HSC where you can study your ass off and get a decent score, the UMAT you still can study for, it will give you a marginal increase in your score.

But going from 130 to 170 is fucken huge, u better re-assess your capabilities and goals and see if they are realistic
A person on Med students online went from 150s to >200 so I don't think it's impossible

charlie91

HSC
rcr4fags said:
130 ->170?

why you atacking me, i found out that umat was needed for med only like a 2 weeks before the closing date, so i dont think its hard if i go buy papers and study, what is your problem, i know its hard but not impossible, right?

charlie91

HSC
dolbinau said:
A person on Med students online went from 150s to >200 so I don't think it's impossible
hey thanks for the motivation, but i hate section 1 the most, i did good in 2 and 3 but horrible in 1, so that is why my mark was low, i dont know how to become better in section 1, any suggestions guys?

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
all i am saying is 130 is fuken low. i actually havent heard of anyone getting that low. i am pretty sure you ranked in the bottom 5%.

i think everyone has aspirations to be a doctor but reality is not everyone can be, i am sure you are mentally capable, however compared to other people who sat the UMAT then you are very low on the pecking order.

go and study your ass off and prove me wrong. but i will say even if you paid for medentry you wont even get over 150.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)