Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The official Medical Science thread

HSC

Re: The official Medical Science thread

I'm working on the role of mucus-associated bacteria in Crohn's disease. Currently I am investigating how Campylobacter species invade intestinal epithelial cells.

PhD, University of Cambridge, 09-12
    MSc, UNSW, 08-09
    BMedSc (Hons I), UNSW, 04-07

ashleey luvs roosters katie tully's Avatar
    HSC

Yum

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor39 View Post
    I'm working on the role of mucus-associated bacteria in Crohn's disease. Currently I am investigating how Campylobacter species invade intestinal epithelial cells.
    gee that sounds pretty sweet! so far i've nothing new/interesting/worth studying but the work's still piling up! Damn med sci - why can't they just let people with provisional places trade them in for an undergrad place somewhere else? or maybe a medical school black-market?
    "i'll give you my ANU grad for your UNSW undergrad and the first year textbooks"
    "No way, UNSW's worth way more than that! i'll take your playstation aswell"
    ... I wish!
    BMedSci/MBBS ANU

HSC

If anybody is interested in going to the AIMS seminar, it's also in May
    It's for the South West division.

I'm going because they give out free pens.

Australian Institute of Medical Scientists - South West Division NSW

HSC
    N/A

what do you think about Bio Medical Engineering???

HSC

I have no opinion on biomedical engineering to be honest, mainly because I don't know a great deal about it. I'm doing a double in MedSc/Forensic Biotech, so I'm sure towards the end I'll do something on bioinformatics.

Not sure what job prospects are like for biomedical engineering.

HSC

Did anyone do scif1111 at UNSW and if so could you email me the take away exam?

Thanks

HSC
    Uni Grad

[i posted this in the general uni discussion area but its not getting any replies, so ill post it here too]

okay, so im going to uni next year, and have no clue as to what career i want to pursue in the future! i have a month left to apply, and im stuck between a few degrees.. particularly medical science and commerce.

i really wanted to do medical science, because this is what interests me, but i've heard that you cant really get a job out of it, and that the purpose of the course is for people wanting to do postgrad degrees in medicine, dentistry etc. does this mean that if i do med science, i wont be able to get a job as a medical scientist (etc) when im done? Also, medical science at macquarie uni has a psychology major in it... if i were to do this, does this mean i would be able to undertake a 2 year grad dip in psychology afterwards and register as a psychologist? or is the medical science degree not enough? is it possible to get any jobs out of just doing a medical science degree?

on the other hand, i was thinking about doing commerce or business. it doesnt interest me like med science does, but at least i can get a job out of it after i finish. what kind of jobs can a graduate start off with? what jobs can they get into after many years of experience?

i was hoping that people could share the positives and negatives of each degree, especially from the unis in the sydney area? and just some advice that could help me choose a degree or a career path would be nice too. btw, gap years or TAFE or other colleges arent an option for me, i want to get stuck straight into uni. please no stupid comments like "theyre both crap, do something else" or "work it out for urself or you'll get nowhere" etc.

thanks to the people who help out
    dont do a drug
    just be a drug
    heil azure

HSC

All of my friends from MedSc are working in the field right now. I only know one who is still searching for jobs for more than 6 months (I think that's because her marks aren't very good).

I have 1 friend doing cancer research at the Garvan, 1 at Sigma (a chemical company, she answers technical questions from scientists about company products), 1 in sales (selling medical and research equipments), and a few going on to do a PhD.

I only know a small number of people going on to do medicine. People's way of thinking changes over the 3-4 years during their degree and once they experience scientific research first hand.

A medsc degree is an excellent degree to be train to become a scientist. If you like a research career (doing experiments and finding out what this gene does or how to block cell division of a cancer cell, or what do bacteria do to cause disease etc ) then this degree is for you.

I can't comment on the commerce degree but there are PLENTY of threads on this topic. Just note that they are completely different degrees. One is about money, the other is about wanting to know more about the human body in the medical context.

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC
    Uni Grad

ahh good advice there. thanks for that, its a big help!
    dont do a drug
    just be a drug
    heil azure

HSC
    N/A

All of my friends from MedSc are working in the field right now. I only know one who is still searching for jobs for more than 6 months (I think that's because her marks aren't very good).

I have 1 friend doing cancer research at the Garvan, 1 at Sigma (a chemical company, she answers technical questions from scientists about company products), 1 in sales (selling medical and research equipments), and a few going on to do a PhD.

I only know a small number of people going on to do medicine. People's way of thinking changes over the 3-4 years during their degree and once they experience scientific research first hand.

A medsc degree is an excellent degree to be train to become a scientist. If you like a research career (doing experiments and finding out what this gene does or how to block cell division of a cancer cell, or what do bacteria do to cause disease etc ) then this degree is for you.
    I am looking at the med sci course offered by ANU but it isn't accredited by AIMS.. on the other hand, i am thinking if the lab med course offered by RMIT is better as it is accredited by AIMS. can anyone advice me on which is a better choice in terms of job prospects? the courses structure appeared to be very different...

HSC

The UNSW and USyd ones aren't accredited as well. I don't see my friends having trouble finding a job..

It really doesn't matter. High marks + Good experience > accreditation.

Quote Originally Posted by jsphn View Post
    I am looking at the med sci course offered by ANU but it isn't accredited by AIMS.. on the other hand, i am thinking if the lab med course offered by RMIT is better as it is accredited by AIMS. can anyone advice me on which is a better choice in terms of job prospects? the courses structure appeared to be very different...

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC
    N/A

The UNSW and USyd ones aren't accredited as well. I don't see my friends having trouble finding a job..

It really doesn't matter. High marks + Good experience > accreditation.
    Thanks for that reply! =) I will have a good think about it.

HSC

I can't comment on the commerce degree but there are PLENTY of threads on this topic. Just note that they are completely different degrees. One is about money, the other is about wanting to know more about the human body in the medical context.

thankyou thankyou thankyou THANKYOU!!!
    finally someone just said it straight and simple. i'm applying for undergraduate med science at usyd + macquarie for my 1st and 2nd preferences on tuesday {LOL! tuesday you ask? because i'm getting a bunch of brochures on other potential courses + i need time to talk myself out of the }
    THANKYOU!!
    Class of 2009

USYD - B Science I

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by katie tully View Post
    CSU and I think only one other MedSc degree in NSW are AIMS accredited, and CSU is only accredited if you do the Pathology strand. Given that only two unis have accreditation and given that most MedSc graduates find employment relatively soon, AIMS isn't a great deal. If anything it just looks good on your resume.

To get into research you don't need AIMS, you just need really good marks and the willingness to maybe do honors/PhD.
    Well keep in mind guys if you do a tafe course in laboratory techniques or something together with your udnergrad med sci degree, you get into AIMS. Though, getting into AIMS isnt really necessary like katie tully had said. You only may need it if you want to go into pathology, and thats fairly boring.......

You can also work as hospital scientists (which is what im doing), which is fairly clinical. So keep your mind open and work hard!

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by katie tully View Post
    CSU and I think only one other MedSc degree in NSW are AIMS accredited, and CSU is only accredited if you do the Pathology strand. Given that only two unis have accreditation and given that most MedSc graduates find employment relatively soon, AIMS isn't a great deal. If anything it just looks good on your resume.

To get into research you don't need AIMS, you just need really good marks and the willingness to maybe do honors/PhD.
    http://www.aims.org.au/c/index.php?p...duate-programs

UTS, and in Biomedical Science (UTS: C10115v7 Bachelor of Biomedical Science - UTS Handbook 2009), not Medical Science (UTS: C10184v5 Bachelor of Medical Science - UTS Handbook 2009); which they also have.

Cut-offs were:
    C10115v7 | Bachelor of Biomedical Science | City campus | 85.50 ATAR
    C10184v5 | Bachelor of Medical Science | City campus | 88.15 ATAR

Lol.

HSC

is Medical Science better at USYD or UNSW?
    what's the difference?

HSC

To be honest, there isn't that much difference. Pick the campus and the atmosphere you like the best and excel in all your courses.

Try to get as much research experience as you can throughout your undergrad degree (if you want to get into research) and this will make you stand out when you graduate.

Let me know if you like any more help.

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC

Hey Survivor, I'm doing micro tomorrow and it reminded me of you

HSC

oooh.. how sweet!

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC

To be honest, there isn't that much difference. Pick the campus and the atmosphere you like the best and excel in all your courses.

Try to get as much research experience as you can throughout your undergrad degree (if you want to get into research) and this will make you stand out when you graduate.

Let me know if you like any more help.
    i'm thinking of doing Medical Science next year and hopefully transfer into Medicine. which uni do you know is the easiest to get into, UNSW or USYD?
    thanks

HSC

For the Medical Science program or the Medical program?

For Medical Science, both unis have a ATAR/UAI cut off of above 90.

For the Medical Program, only UNSW is offering it at the undergraduate level (entry requirements: ATAR, UMAT and an interview). The Usyd Medical Program is graduate entry only, which means you must have a first degree in any discipline (entry requirements: Good GPA, GAMSAT and an interview).

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC

Hey Survivor39,

I was just wondering how you found doing an Honours year; I'm only first year,
    but I'm thinking of going for honours at CSU after I finish (provided I meet the criteria)

I'm a little confused about the whole process... after selection, do you just go
    "Hmmm I'd like to try examine this" and then go through the scientific process in examining it?

If that makes sense?

Did you find it rewarding? painful?
    do you think it was worth it? (I'm guessing yes... because of the PhD you're undertaking but anyway )
    Last edited by Dombrovski; 5 Oct 2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Bachelor of Medical Science (Pathology) with Distinction ::: Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) ::: ...PhD...... 2013-2016

HSC

Hi Dombrovski,

The Honours year pretty much works like this:

1. Near the end of your 3rd year, you start to talk to different academics who you wish to be your supervisor for the Honours year. At thi point, you want to establish something: 1) can you work with this supervisor? 2) do you like the research area? (no point working on cancer research which is your supervisor's interest if you want to work on T cells); 3) does the supervisor have the resources to support your project and does he/she thinks you are good enough.

2. Once you got that all sorted out, in your Honours year your supervisor will guide you to work on a research project. For example, to investigate the ability of T cells to produce cytokines (chemical signals) in response to E. coli infection. You read the literature to see what's been done and how it has been done.

3. With the guidance of your supervisor, you will do real lab work to investigate your research question/s. e.g. grow T cells, grow E. coli. Put them together, incubate, measure the level of cytokine response etc --> results --> you then go and make sense of your results.

4. Assessments: presentation, literature reviews, final thesis reporting what you have done.

As you can see, the Honours year is VERY different from the lecture-tutorial-lab format that you would have encountered in your first year and the following 2 years. I hope this is of some help to you. If you are unsure of anything, please ask.

MSc, UNSW, 08-09

HSC

Hey Guys
    I'm just wondering, what if you're doing Bachelor of Science
    for let's say for a year or two and after want to do a Bachelor of Medical Science?
    Can you do that?
    Or is there an easier option?

I'm interested in Immunology and Infectious Disease (from Usyd)
    Of course these are not in Bachelor of Science, but maybe if you didn't get the right ATAR if you could do what's suggested above?

Thanks heaps!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information