How many of you have applied for pharmacy? (need advice) (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Just wanted to know how popular this course will be this for 09 considering that last yr was such a low-cut off that it may persuade ppl to think that the course is easy to get into and thus it will increase to like 96+

i have trouble whether i shud do pharm or comm/engineering at UNSW ( i have interests in them both equally)

What is the future for pharm because i was wondering with the current economic crisis, they might accept woolies plans to have an in store pharm which will be bad for pharmacists and especially those that own a business.

Also wat's the salary like? i heard its pretty low for startin grad but ur pretty much capped at 70k unless u own a store.

I'm basically lookin for a good stable career with good employment rate
also an income that's 100K+ lol

danz90

HSC
Deltan said:
Just wanted to know how popular this course will be this for 09 considering that last yr was such a low-cut off that it may persuade ppl to think that the course is easy to get into and thus it will increase to like 96+

i have trouble whether i shud do pharm or comm/engineering at UNSW ( i have interests in them both equally)

What is the future for pharm because i was wondering with the current economic crisis, they might accept woolies plans to have an in store pharm which will be bad for pharmacists and especially those that own a business.

Also wat's the salary like? i heard its pretty low for startin grad but ur pretty much capped at 70k unless u own a store.

I'm basically lookin for a good stable career with good employment rate
also an income that's 100K+ lol
Come tooo Pharm @ USyddddd :spin:

The thing that supermarkets are gonna take over Pharmacies isn't gonna happen... they tried before, and it was knocked back firmly.

I think first year grad gets like 40-50k?
Thing with Pharmacy is.. the money really isn't in community pharmacies. My personal aim is to end up working for big companies like Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson, Bayer Pharmaceuticals, Boehringer Ingelheim etc etc, working in Research/Development, drug trials and that kinda stuff, thats where the really big money/exec. salaries are ;) And also opening your own store would get you big bucks too, I'd imagine.

People will alwaysss be needing medicine man, I personally also reckon that Pharmacy is a rewarding career... you're contributing to society and helping out the community.

In the end, its up to u ;)
But I reckon Pharmacy winsssssssss :p

Rafe14

HSC
If u wanted to work for those companies, do u need at least a master's degree or just a good mark at uni will do?

u sound realli commited to doin pharmacy, hope the best of luck for you in the future.

i doubt i make the cut-off for pharm though =(

danz90

HSC
Rafe14 said:
If u wanted to work for those companies, do u need at least a master's degree or just a good mark at uni will do?

u sound realli commited to doin pharmacy, hope the best of luck for you in the future.

Not necessarily, I think that experience is necessary though, and a passion for the industry.
A Master's degree would help propel you into the higher orders of the industry though...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Rafe14 said:

For high tier and to conduct your own research you will probably need a PhD.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Wouldn't it better to do the pharm master's degree, its only 2yrs as oppose to 4,
but u gotta sit GAMSAT.

btw wooz, what's the difference between a master's degree and a Phd?
Which one is more worthwhile?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Deltan said:
Wouldn't it better to do the pharm master's degree, its only 2yrs as oppose to 4,
but u gotta sit GAMSAT.

Best if survivor answers ur questions, he's doing a PhD in drugs i think.

A masters is a ~1 year research year, like honours but higher.

A PhD is a 2-3 year research degree in which you are awarded a philosophy doctorate.

nchoy

HSC
danz90 is quite right in saying that community pharmacy does not really have a very high financial return. On top of that, there is a lot of regaulations that as a pharmacist, one has to follow. Working in a retail pharmacy, you have to deal with the general public constantly, not just for health issues either. If you are a pharmacy owner, you have more government department to deal with eg, medicare, health department, pharmacy board & not forgetting tax office.
On the whole, if you are really passionate about pharmacy, go for it, otherwise do think carefully about it.
BTW, I did apply for pharmacy as well.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Deltan said:
There are two types of Masters - Masters by Research (2 years and entirely research-based) and Masters by Coursework (like an undergrad where you attend lectures etc), which is usually 1.5 years.

A PhD is usually 3-4 years. Like Masters by Research it is entirely research-based. PhD research is generally more complex and original, thus requiring a longer period of time to complete. People usually go for a PhD instead of a Masters by Research.

Like Woo said, in your research career if you wish to you have control over the design and execution of an area of research such as drug development/clinical trial, a PhD is essential. You must have a good track record of publication/experience.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Rafe14 said:

Rafe don't lose hope. Generally Pharmacy is becoming much more easier to apply for nowadays. The path most people take is the Post-Graduate - Master of Pharmacy degree. (I.e. Complete your first degree then apply for Masters of Pharmacy).

Essentially you complete your first degree with at least pass to credit average WAM, and depending upon which university you wish to complete your Pharm degree at, you may or may not need GAMSAT.

GAMSAT is mainly required for Post-Graduate dentistry and medicine, and pharmacy ONLY at USyd. All other universities such as Griffith, NewCastle, etc do NOT require GAMSAT, but only a completed bachelors degree preferably in Science/Health Science/Medical Science for Pharmacy Entry.

If you're looking to join R & D, another degree exists known as the Master of Pharmacy (Clinical), but only with Master of Pharmacy will you be able to practice as a Pharmacist.

Salary is dependent upon whether you're able to open a store and also how many customers. To me I reckon Pharmacy is abit like opening a Franchise Angus & Robertson's bookstore and really getting more customers --> for more money. Not to mention how competitive your prices have to be, unlike Optometry, Dental and Medical Centres.

Last edited:

nchoy

HSC
To actually own a pharmacy, u need a ton of money! Yeh u can go to the bank but u still need a fair bit of deposit. It is virtually impossible to open a pharmacy starting from scratch because there are too many restrictions.

piitb

HSC
getting a job in sydney in a pharmacy is NOT easy. its actually pretty damm hard.

nchoy

HSC
piitb said:
getting a job in sydney in a pharmacy is NOT easy. its actually pretty damm hard.
Too right! Especially the 2000 hrs pre registration post!

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
nchoy said:
To actually own a pharmacy, u need a ton of money! Yeh u can go to the bank but u still need a fair bit of deposit. It is virtually impossible to open a pharmacy starting from scratch because there are too many restrictions.
I hear that $1,000,000 is the minimum

what kind of restrictions are there besides being allowed to only own 5 pharmacies lol

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
piitb said:
Why is that, don't ppl move to rural areas if they cant find jobs here?

Usyd say that there is 99% employment rate for pharm graduates, can someone clarify on the job prospect for pharmacists

nchoy

HSC
Deltan said:
I hear that $1,000,000 is the minimum

what kind of restrictions are there besides being allowed to only own 5 pharmacies lol
The price depends on the size of the pharmacy of course. But a mil is not far off the mark.
To open a pharmacy from scratch at a new site, you need to be at a certain distance from any existing pharmacy. If u are in a remote area, you need to show that there is a need for a new pharmacy which means min population etc.

nchoy

HSC
Deltan said:
Why is that, don't ppl move to rural areas if they cant find jobs here?

Usyd say that there is 99% employment rate for pharm graduates, can someone clarify on the job prospect for pharmacists
It may be 99% but not necessarily full time. You can certainly find part time/locum easily. And if you are prepared to do after hours & weekends, you would have no problem at all.

sev90

HSC
to my opinion ppl ,,, pharmacy is just boring .. any1 agree..
well it wont be if your working with a pharmaceutical company. but general idea, pharmacy is boring. It isn't an exciting career realli.

danz90

HSC
sev90 said:
to my opinion ppl ,,, pharmacy is just boring .. any1 agree..
well it wont be if your working with a pharmaceutical company. but general idea, pharmacy is boring. It isn't an exciting career realli.
That's subject to personal preferences..
I personally don't think it wouldn't be exciting. There are heaps of opportunities/paths you can take with Pharmacy careers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)