UMAT test 2009 (1 Viewer)

-::Sanni::-

HSC
I realise that there are some posts about UMAT and I apologise if something like this has already been posted up!

I did the UMAT test in 2008 and...well...I didn't do so well! XD SO I'm going to try again this year!

Could someone please give me some ideas on how to improve my UMAT score? Preferably someone who has done the test (and done super well! XD), but any help would be wonderfull!

My main problem is Section one. I only finished half of it in the UMAT test! :'( So some pointers for this section would be SUPERB!

Section two was okay. I actually quite enjoy section two!!! :) It's very interesting. But they do have some big complicated words at times and if anyone has come across a wierd one, could you please post it?

And finally section three. OMG.... o_O It's interesting to do but not in during a time limit... Stupid puzzles -_-'

So PLEASE HELP! If I can't get an interview for medicine this year, I might not try again.... I really, really want to study med at UNSW! :'(

dp624

HSC
I got a UMAT score of 219 so I suppose I could give you some tips?
I think the way to go is practice. You really need to get used to the questions and the ways in which the examiners work.
Now, the thing is, there AREN'T past papers! Which means you really can't be 100% sure that you're learning the right thing.
Now, I'm sure you can go to a prep course. Or two. I recommend Medentry since their guides aren't bad. And their practice exams have explanations.
Then, grab a friend. Tell them to do Face2Face. Switch exams.
This will mean you will have done 20 full exams. Plus the ACER material. By now you should have worked up your speed to decent levels as well as your understanding. Sections 1 and 3 are the easiest sections to improve in.

And section two, i HATE the bloody thing. I got a FIFTY for it. =.=

HSC
I've got the ACER booklets. But I'm really not sure about a prep course because....prep course=money -_- and they're pretty expensive too, aren't they?

What do you mean by a 'Face2Face'?

Fifty is bad for section II? I got 52...I think. I can't remember T_T Actually do you know what the whole test was out of? Or what each section was out of?

dp624

HSC
Face2Face is another prep course.
If you're serious about med and UMAT then $500 is not a large amount.

Also, you don't really know what each section is out of. It's rescaled/remoderated/realigned whatever every year.

And 50 is very bad considering my other sections lol.

dp624

HSC
Rhanoct said:
are you doing usyd med dp?
i'm leaning towards that atm
but it completely wastes my umat ahah

HSC
Hmm....well I might check out Medentry then. Lol! I don't have a friend who is interested in doing medicine so I'll have just choose one med prep course. XD Thanks for the tips! ^^

Oh! Does Medentry have stuff about the interview as well?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
For USYD, UMAT is not required then?

HSC
dp624 said:
Yea...you'd have to sit the GAMSAT test huh? Actually, do you think GAMSAT is/might be easier than UMAT? Which course are you considering doing at USYD?...since you have to do one of their courses to be able to apply for their post-grad med course right?

dp624

HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
Yea...you'd have to sit the GAMSAT test huh? Actually, do you think GAMSAT is/might be easier than UMAT? Which course are you considering doing at USYD?...since you have to do one of their courses to be able to apply for their post-grad med course right?
no i dont, i have guaranteed entry to postgrad if i keep credit average in my undergrad
i'm going to do advanced science if i go to usyd.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
Gamsat is very hard: You must know first year biology and chem, yr 12 physics. Write two high quality essays in an hour and also answer science/humanities/reasoning mcq. The exam is 6 hours long.

You can undertake any Bachelors degree for Usyd med at any university.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
For USYD, UMAT is not required then?
USyd is graduate entry so no umat required.
if you do the 'normal' grad entry you need to do gamsat.

however if you get a uai of 99.95+ you can guarantee yourself grad entry. if you maintain credit average in your undergrad course.
they also only allow adv sci, med sci, music, commerce, economics etc

Last edited:

HSC
Oh really? That's awesome! ^^ Unlucky people like me will probably have to do the GAMSAT *sigh* I've wanted to study medicine for so long. But I'm not entirely sure if I'll still want to study it after I complete the pharmacy course.... Actually I want to do both! XD But the thought of nearly 10 years of study kinda turns me off.

Hey dp? Would there be any chance of you posting the UMAT practice tests that you got from Medentry? Or...is that illegal? -_-' *sigh*

HSC
Wooz said:
Gamsat is very hard: You must know first year biology and chem, yr 12 physics. Write two high quality essays in an hour and also answer science/humanities/reasoning mcq. The exam is 6 hours long.

You can undertake any Bachelors degree for Usyd med at any university.
OMG! X_x 6 hours!!! T_T I don't have an attention span that lasts for that long! And I really suck at physics.... T_T Then I'm not sure if my studying pharmacy over at CSU will be sufficient science knowledge for the GAMSAT -_-

HSC
dp624 said:
USyd is graduate entry so no umat required.
if you do the 'normal' grad entry you need to do gamsat.

however if you get a uai of 99.95+ you can guarantee yourself grad entry.
You got a uai of 99.95 + ???? O_O Holy cow.... i'm so jealous... but 'tis my fault for not studying as hard as I should have.... Actually I'm planning on re-applying to study med at UNSW through the rural scheme...where the uai criteria is 90 +

dp624

HSC
nah i probably can't post them, because some people on the forums know who i am IRL.

and medentry has an interview guide thingy too. they also have personalised training (?) for too much $$$ lol

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dp624 said:
nah i probably can't post them, because some people on the forums know who i am IRL.

and medentry has an interview guide thingy too. they also have personalised training (?) for too much $$$ lol
Everybody knows who you are :D

HSC
dp624 said:

Oh okies! ^^ But what is 'IRL'?

Ugh! I guess I won't do the interview thing.... *sigh*

dp624

HSC
"in real life"
yea i rkn if you do interview prep it gets a bit artificial. for unsw its a personal interview so i rkn if you haved medically inclined friends you can talk to them a lot about it

lol sif everybody knows who i am hahaha. damn stalkers lol

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dp624 said:
"in real life"
yea i rkn if you do interview prep it gets a bit artificial. for unsw its a personal interview so i rkn if you haved medically inclined friends you can talk to them a lot about it

lol sif everybody knows who i am hahaha. damn stalkers lol
Highlights sig, checks BOS state rankings. Hai David!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)