How much?? chemistry in Medicine (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Oh hi thar.

This is mainly for the Medicine students who have done more than their first year.

How much chemistry is there in medicine? I'm in MedSc and there is a fair bit of general chem and then there is your standard biochem, which to be honest is fine... But in an MBBS, is there a fair bit of chemistry or is it just bits scattered within subjects?

I only ask because I'm quite curious to know :spzz:

EDIT: ITT we can all ask questions in hope that some lovely Med students will answer them for us :shy:

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Uhhhh, one degree at a time. I'll see where I am in 2 years when I finish this degree.

Deciding factor will be amount of chemistry. It's hard to explain, but I really hate general chemistry. Like, we do weeks and weeks on stuff like equilibriums and polyprotic acids and bases and colligative properties and I just :( I don't mind biochem so much, it's rather interesting, but I find it hard to care about Le Chatelier’s principle.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Uhhhh, one degree at a time. I'll see where I am in 2 years when I finish this degree.

Deciding factor will be amount of chemistry. It's hard to explain, but I really hate general chemistry. Like, we do weeks and weeks on stuff like equilibriums and polyprotic acids and bases and colligative properties and I just :( I don't mind biochem so much, it's rather interesting, but I find it hard to care about Le Chatelier’s principle.
OMG you don't care about Le chatelier's principle!!!!! That is the most significant principle in this whole world. That principle should never be undermined.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
tully, 5 yrs of medschool and really not that much.. easily under 1 semester over the last 5 years lol for me..

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
I'm curious to know how they teach the interaction between different medications. Do they go into the chemistry of it?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah that'd be interesting to know ... I do a bit of pharmacology now, which I'd much prefer over this other junk they're trying to learn me.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Yeah that'd be interesting to know ... I do a bit of pharmacology now, which I'd much prefer over this other junk they're trying to learn me.
yes and no..

if you fix a car they dun teach you every aspect of combustion :)

its the same with medicine .. u get core skills and then you work off them like the CYP450 system... i can never remember if they are 3A4 or 2A6...*shrug* but it doesnt matter as long as i remember that there might be an interaction..

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
id be worried about a doctor who couldnt even understand la-chatliers principle

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nobody said they couldn't understand it, infact I believe the term was
I find it hard to care about Le Chatelier’s principle
You can leave now, I am the master of trolls and you are not even close to being a worthy adversary.

Also, atleast I can spell it.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
Nobody said they couldn't understand it, infact I believe the term was

You can leave now, I am the master of trolls and you are not even close to being a worthy adversary.

Also, atleast I can spell it.

those who understand it like it, does who dont hate it. no i cant spell it coz i dont care about spelling, u dont get extra marks for spelling. i abbreviate to "by LCP" anyways.....

and thats probably why u suck at chemistry, your too preoccupied with spelling and the textbook definition of the principle, rather than what the priciple is actually trying to tell u.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Oh hi thar.

This is mainly for the Medicine students who have done more than their first year.

How much chemistry is there in medicine? I'm in MedSc and there is a fair bit of general chem and then there is your standard biochem, which to be honest is fine... But in an MBBS, is there a fair bit of chemistry or is it just bits scattered within subjects?

I only ask because I'm quite curious to know :spzz:

Very, very little. At UNSW we haven't done any general chemistry (at all). We had a fairly minimal biochemistry content in one of our 2nd year courses, but I know some people who passed the course without knowing any. It is very much under taught at UNSW.

However, if you want to be competent then ideally you should be on top of your biochem basics - enzyme kinetics, glycolysis, Kreb cycle, metabolism of lipids, cholesterol and amino acids (incl. all the urea stuff), nucleotide synthesis and then tie it in with molecular biology (relevant receptors, hormones, kinases and what not).

That said, a lot of people seem to get by with fairly basic biochem knowledge. Pathophysiology, clinical anatomy and pharmacology are very much where it's at.

P.S.

To those who doubt, KT has earnt her queen troll status. Don't. Mess. Around.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Thanks to you KFunk.

To be honest, biochem is of no concern because I quite enjoy it. I just don't like general chem (but organic chem is okay ;) ) if you know what I mean :eek:

I do protein biochem and molecular cell biology next year, getting into the juicy stuff ;)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
However, if you want to be competent then ideally you should be on top of your biochem basics - enzyme kinetics, glycolysis, Kreb cycle, metabolism of lipids, cholesterol and amino acids (incl. all the urea stuff), nucleotide synthesis and then tie it in with molecular biology (relevant receptors, hormones, kinases and what not).

That said, a lot of people seem to get by with fairly basic biochem knowledge. Pathophysiology, clinical anatomy and pharmacology are very much...
Sounds intriguing, really does.

May I put a few questions forward? My apologies for hijacking the tread.

1. Is there much lab work during the first year? For example viewing different specimens of skin disease (strange example, i know), do you use microscopes much?

2. Do you cover the history of medicine in great depth?

3. How much time is dedicated to hospital experience during the first year?

4. During the later years of your study is there anything you wish you paid more attention to, and were there times where you thought this is way too complex for me to comprehend, or too much for me to tolerate? What is it? And what would you do to better prepare for it?... can be a situation

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Sounds intriguing, really does.

May I put a few questions forward? My apologies for hijacking the tread.

1. Is there much lab work during the first year? For example viewing different specimens of skin disease (strange example, i know), do you use microscopes much?

2. Do you cover the history of medicine in great depth?

3. How much time is dedicated to hospital experience during the first year?

4. During the later years of your study is there anything you wish you paid more attention to, and were there times where you thought this is way too complex for me to comprehend, or too much for me to tolerate? What is it? And what would you do to better prepare for it?... can be a situation
(1) There will usually be at least two labs per week for the first two years. Close to half of them are anatomy or histology/pathology pracs (the latter are held in computer labs - we use virtual slides rather than microscopes). The actual lab pracs are generally for microbiology/biochem/molecular biology (all of which are somewhat few and far between). In microbiology you get to look at bacteria under the microscopes from things like cultures, sputum samples, etc. While we look at decent number of histopathology slides (diseases of the skin, heart, kidneys, liver, brain, etc... etc...) we do almost no microscopy outside of microbiology (and in micro they are all set up, so you never learn to be proficient).

(2) No. You pick up tidbits when you have well read lecturers, but on the whole there is minimal history of med.

(3) 2 hours fortnightly (alternating with 3 hour clinical skill / history sessions every other week where you practice skills/history on other medical students)

(4) Yes - all the basic sciences. They matter a lot. I came out of 'phase 1' (years 1 & 2) with reasonable knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology. I still need to go back and consolidate these. The course is very weak on biochemistry, pharmacology and microbiology. The lack of pharmacology in particular is problematic - as soon as you hit the wards the clinicians expect you to be on top of it.

I'm yet to come across something which I find too complex per se. Most body processes are relatively mechanical and can be understood with enough thought and a good flow chart. People sometimes have difficulty with more abstract concepts which require some understanding of physics, stats / statistical mechanics and so forth, e.g. ECG interpretation (cardiac vectors...), osmosis, equilibrium potentials.

I do, however, reach points where I think 'there is too much to know'. I'm looking at my clinical exams coming up in a months time and the potential range of knowledge is quite scary - anything pertinent to history, examination, differential diagnoses, pathophysiology, pharmacology, other basic sciences and investigations in the context of basic internal medicine, paediatrics and O&G (also population health). It's manageable, but it's a lot. You have to be satisfied with knowing enough, but never knowing everything. Keeping in mind that it takes a fair bit of work to get to 'enough' (lifelong learning is the name of the game).

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Whoa, your response reignited my interests greatly.

Don't know why but I lose interest. I think it's the competition, the idea of thousands of candidates eats at me... turns me off.

Anyway thanks for the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)