Biomedical Science (1 Viewer)

twilighaholic

HSC
Hi,
I am Considering a degree in Biomedical Science. Basically i wanna know What are the job prospects like? Is it going to be possible to get a career in Pathology or Medical Research without doing any of the postgrad stuff?? I've also heard a few stories of quite a few people droping out of the degree, is it because its hard or is it because its pointless??

any advice anyone could give me would be great! I already have a degree in I.T which was basically i HUGE mistake!! I hated it and should of change but didn't and now i'm stuck and cant get a job!!! So this is really my last chance as my SLE will run out. I've also considered Nursing as well!!

Please help!!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yes you can get a career in Path without postgrad stuff, but most research jobs won't consider you unless you have, or are working towards Hons and/or a PhD

Tim035

HSC
Here's in a nutshell what I've basically concluded:
- Australia does not have the market size for big pharma and other high tech companies to bother running their R&D out of, hence besides some small (and hugely struggling with the current economy) companies you will not find a research job in industry.
- There are a number of companies that have sales and marketing operations in Australia though, if you are a very vibrant, enthuisastic, ppl loving person then you may be able to to work your way up from a pharmaceuticals / medical devices sales rep to a very generously paying position. From what I've seen most jobs requiring several years experience will pay $60 - $80k + commision. However if sales and public relations aren't your strong point don't waste your time in this industry.
- If your willing to work overseas then an internship / graduate program in the US, Europe etc could eventually land you a well paying job in the field of biotechnology / healthcare R&D.
- Or lastly land a post doctural position as a proffesional researcher; seeing as you've already done a degree I don't see you doing another 7 years of university to land a job in this field.

If this sounds like hell for you then ignore it but my advice would honestly be to just do a graduate diploma or masters in buisness, finanace or economics and go work for a bank, consulting company or financial firm. However this may be just what I wish I'd done rather then waste my time with a science degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)