What are the differences between the BMed and MBBS? (1 Viewer)

DoctorPie

HSC
The University of Newcastle offers BMed, rather than the MBBS offered by other Australian Universities.

Can someone explain whether "BMed" is just a name or whether it actually results in a different course?

Thanks.

chinaski

HSC
N/A
It's just a name. The qualifications are considered equal.

SWSydneytutor

HSC
I was actually astounded to hear many of my MBBS peers at UNSW say "I didn't go for UNCLE, because it's only BMed, not Bsurgery as well."

The qualifications of BMed and MBBS are exactly the same.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
its exactly the same, and graduates will turn out with the same amount of knowledge/qualification.

newcastle considers surgery as part of medicine, so they don't give it a special name.

doink

Clone
HSC
People need to learn how to use search functions or scroll down before considering which university to do medicine imo.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
^ the info from years ago may not be accurate. its definitely worthwhile to start a new thread to ask questions as the answers will be more current/accurate.
plus, i dont get how using a search function on a forum correlates to considering medicine at uni. care to enlighten? surely future doctors would want current information as opposed to information from years ago.

Last edited:

chinaski

HSC
N/A
surely future doctors would want current information as opposed to information from years ago.
To be fair, they would also probably realise that the nomenclature and recognition of degree titles don't change from one year to the next - Newcastle's BMed has been around for decades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)