about the dentistry courses (1 Viewer)

Tiemyshu

HSC
Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying:
maths 3U, eng adv, jap cont, chem, bio and ancient history,
oh definitely dropping ancient next year tho, might pick up 4U maths...
Please recommand me on which choice i should make:

1) I REALLY want to be a dentist, and i did some research on it and
saw many people suffering doing GAMSAT.. XD it sounds really scary
so i don't know if i should go for USYD, although if i had to, i would and could do it...(oh and Med science sounds really interesting =D, i would do med sci course if i was to go to USYD)

2) Then there's University of Melbourne, which i believe you need UMAT for?

3) and there's CSU... 5 years undergraduate but, its all the way in Orange.. sighsigh (I live in syd)
- highly unlikely tho, dw about this one

- Which one's the most wise decision???
- and which one's harder - UMAT or GAMSAT? and for UMAT, do i have to take a gap year for the preparation? How hard is it?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Best option: Do any undergraduate degree (e.g. science-related), and then go for Graduate Dentistry at USyd. You can have a go at GAMSAT during the second year of your degree, then if your score isn't good enough go for it again in your third year. I'm sure you'll do well if you apply your self.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
melbourne are taking out their undergrad dentistry degree this year i believe. they are changing everything to the "melbourne model".
all the unis are fully accredited and it wont matter where u got ur degree from.

many undergrad dental schools exist and shouldnt be overlooked if u really wanted to do dentistry. e.g. UQ, Griffith, UWA, UAdel. cant remember the others.
5 years (2 years less study/hecs, make money earlier, no pressure on high GPA, no GAMSAT) vs 7 years (extra useless degree, 2 years more HECS, 0 increase in independence, GAMSAT, PQA, high GPA)
i know which one id pick.

auxx

HSC
melbourne are taking out their undergrad dentistry degree this year i believe. they are changing everything to the "melbourne model".
all the unis are fully accredited and it wont matter where u got ur degree from.

many undergrad dental schools exist and shouldnt be overlooked if u really wanted to do dentistry. e.g. UQ, Griffith, UWA, UAdel. cant remember the others.
5 years (2 years less study/hecs, make money earlier, no pressure on high GPA, no GAMSAT) vs 7 years (extra useless degree, 2 years more HECS, 0 increase in independence, GAMSAT, PQA, high GPA)
i know which one id pick.
Im really interested in dentistry aswell. Are you sure melbourne are taking their undergraduate course away? i havent seen this on their website.

Anyway, as said above, Uni Adelaide is another undergrad option. For CSU, they only accept 40 ppl i think and i was told u need to fill in a massive application form, with some sort of work experience got to do with the field.

But i reckon USYD is the best option.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UAdel is in there. lol, well if u lived in syd and didnt want to move, then yes usyd is a good option since it is the only option.
ur willing to do 7 years? with 3 years being a degree where u had to work so hard to maintain a high GPA and prep for the GAMSAT? keep in mind that this isnt guaranteed. if u dont maintain a high enuff GPA or get a high enuff GAMSAT, u wont even get a place, and u have just wasted 3 years.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
CSU requires an interview, an essay and they give precedence to rural students.

They also do 50/50 male:female ratio, so it's 20 spots for dudes and 20 spots for chicks.

Orange is only 40 mins from Bathurst, Bathurst is only 2 hours from Syd on a bad day. Orange is quite nice and a rather large inland city - so it's not a bad option.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying:
maths 3U, eng adv, jap cont, chem, bio and ancient history,
oh definitely dropping ancient next year tho, might pick up 4U maths...
Please recommand me on which choice i should make:

1) I REALLY want to be a dentist, and i did some research on it and
saw many people suffering doing GAMSAT.. XD it sounds really scary
so i don't know if i should go for USYD, although if i had to, i would and could do it...(oh and Med science sounds really interesting =D, i would do med sci course if i was to go to USYD)

2) Then there's University of Melbourne, which i believe you need UMAT for?

3) and there's CSU... 5 years undergraduate but, its all the way in Orange.. sighsigh (I live in syd)
- highly unlikely tho, dw about this one

- Which one's the most wise decision???
- and which one's harder - UMAT or GAMSAT? and for UMAT, do i have to take a gap year for the preparation? How hard is it?

not to be rude or anything but I've always wondered what attracts people to dentistry, what makes you really want to become a dentist?

Tiemyshu

HSC
yeh i can only picture myself as a dentist in the future =/
i really don't know what else to do
its not like im talented in a particular area or anything..

but i guess, as i get exposed to the world of med sci during the course
i could go into other paths.. XD
but being a dentist is so cool =D can't wait

anfonnee

HSC
i'm doing undergrad dentistry at the university of queensland in brisbane. if you're really motivated, i would suggest moving to do undergraduate because the usyd path is really risky and difficult (unless you have a fallback option which you don't mind as your undergrad course, say like pharmacy, but then a course like this isn't easy to maintain the GPA needed).

i'd strongly recommend applying for the interstate dental schools anyways cos it'll keep your options open and you may change your mind on moving later.. (although sometimes having too many options can be really stressful, i've expereinced this myself)

however with that, there are a lot of stresses involved and things to think about with moving and studying away from home..

if any of you guys wanting to do dent have any questions about the course, moving or applying feel free to ask..

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
one thing i don't like about this..how they don't have many undergraduate courses for dentistry..:(

also maintaining that GPA for a random course to get into dentistry along with GAMSAT...

guess you gotta be extremely motivated to take this course.

I have wanted to be a dentist for a long time but now I think I'll reconsider :)

Last edited:

srachel

HSC
You said, I REALLY want to be a dentist..

So go for 1st one.

And do not worry abou to preparation.

Tiemyshu

HSC
Arghhh... why does it have to be so hard D=
iuno what to do,
can i just concentrate on my hsc and worry about this later
or is that too late XD

If it's this hard, not many people would go for USYD eh?

wwoooo, is Uni of Melbourne really changing the course to post grad?
far out.

anfonnee

HSC
you kinda should think about it now cos you gotta do your umat pretty soon and then applications for dent/med close well beore actual HSC (around aug/sept from what i remember)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)