Help with Med School Admissions statistics (1 Viewer)

maxkwalat

HSC
Hi all,

I want to study Medicine in Australia with the graduate entry path and was having difficulties finding admissions statistics. I have read that many unis require a 5-5.5 GPA and a specific target GAMSAT score (don't recall the actual number). However, I assume those are the minimal scores to get in and not the average for matriculated students. I was hoping someone here could help me out by directing me to a website that gives more information on those statistics (or perhaps the cut-off scores are sufficient for entry). Also are extra curricular activities important in gaining admissions to Australian Medical Schools.

My other question is under the acer website it states that you apply to 3 schools and they pass your material down based on your preference rankings. Does that mean you can only apply to three schools or that you can use there service to apply to those three schools, and apply to the rest of the schools by yourself.

I thank you ahead for reading this thread and any advice, help is much appreciated!!

:)

HSC
N/A
thick alabama accent: 'your not from around here are you?'

From what i've read the gpa that you have stated is the minimum. But the gpa is mostly used as a 'hurdle'. Admission is mainly based on interview and gamsat.

You can only interview at one school. So apply for three (4?) and if you don't meet their requirments then they pass your pref. down.

Hope that helps and good luck!

maxkwalat

HSC
Thanks for the reply.

I grew up in Australia but moved to the US since high school so its been a while and I have no clue about the Australian medical school system. Family is relocating back to Australia so back I come.

So basically, I am offered only one interview and if I get rejected from it I'd have to try again next year?
Do you usually get an acceptance bid if you are granted an interview or its still pretty competitive. The stress lol...

HSC
N/A
from what i heard i think it was around 2 out of 3 get in through the interview. As compared to around 2 or 3 / 8 that get through for undergrad med. Also the interviews are problem solving type scenarios. Yep try again next year...

BTW are you still an aus. citizen? if not you'll prob have to sit the mcat or you might be able to choose donno.

maxkwalat

HSC
Yes I am a Australian citizen, and thank you guys so much for your advice and assistance.

Take it easy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)