Thread: Is radiography a good course/career choice?

HSC

Is radiography a good course/career choice?

Hey guys, I wanted to do B Diagnostic Radiography at Sydney Uni. But I have so many questions. Is this a good course? Is this a good career? good pay? what is the work like? I was also thinking about doing Masters in Radiation Therapist. Should I? Is it worth it?

And lastly, is high school physics absolutely necessary to complete the course? I don't particularly like the idea of doing a bridging course.

HSC

Re: Is radiography a good course/career choice?

From what I have heard, it is a decent course. Also, the career prospects aren't too bad either. The pay is rather decent too, I believe graduate salary starts at about $52,000 per annum, and obviously, goes up as you gain more experience and years in the field.
    A Diagnostic Radiographer will work with a Radiologist, they will provide the images to the Radiologist to examine. The radiographer will have human interaction, whereas a Radiologist generally doesn't.

If you want to do Raditation Therapy, and are interested in it, go for it. But you have a couple years ahead of you before you actually make a deicion, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Me personally, I don't think I'd like to be a Radiographer, to me, it seems very repetetive and can easily get boring, but that is just my personal opinion. But hey, if you think you'll be interested in it, go for it!
    HSC 2012:

[Advanced English] [Biology] [Ancient History] [Modern History] [PDH]

Banned
    HSC

whats the cutoff for it?

also my mums a doctor and she works with a few radiographers, she says its a well paid job but it can get monotonous.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by arj1 View Post
    whats the cutoff for it?

also my mums a doctor and she works with a few radiographers, she says its a well paid job but it can get monotonous.
    I think it is about 91.00.
    HSC 2012:

[Advanced English] [Biology] [Ancient History] [Modern History] [PDH]

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_T90 View Post
    From what I have heard, it is a decent course. Also, the career prospects aren't too bad either. The pay is rather decent too, I believe graduate salary starts at about $52,000 per annum, and obviously, goes up as you gain more experience and years in the field.
    A Diagnostic Radiographer will work with a Radiologist, they will provide the images to the Radiologist to examine. The radiographer will have human interaction, whereas a Radiologist generally doesn't.

If you want to do Raditation Therapy, and are interested in it, go for it. But you have a couple years ahead of you before you actually make a deicion, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Me personally, I don't think I'd like to be a Radiographer, to me, it seems very repetetive and can easily get boring, but that is just my personal opinion. But hey, if you think you'll be interested in it, go for it!
    Thanks for all the info. Yeah, it does sound really repetitive taking pictures all day. But still, I'm interested.

Also, do you or anyone know if physics is a necessity for the course?

HSC

Well yes i do think you need some sort of medical related physics for the course. Why do you ask? Aren't you doing physics atm?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Alkanes View Post
    Well yes i do think you need some sort of medical related physics for the course. Why do you ask? Aren't you doing physics atm?
    Nah I'm not, I do chemistry and bio though.

HSC

Oh, might be a little disadvantaged against others who did physics in high school but anyways there are bridging courses to get you prepared physics wise.

Cadet
    HSC

My sister is a radiographer. From what I know, the pay isn't that great and it starts off at about $45,000. Yes, you HAVE to do physics and yes, it is hard to get a job in that field these days especially after the economic crisis. Her best friend also a radiographer, took 8 months after graduation to find a job. She's now back in Uni doing Ultrasound. Ultrasound is apparently WAY better and has a MUCH better salary and job opportunities. However, I do think you would have to complete the diagnostic radiography course to be able to do ultrasound or MRI. Hope this helps.

Banned
    HSC

radiographers make like $400 an hour on callout what

HSC
    N/A

people get radiologists and radiographers confused. basically a radiographer's job is this:
    1) Get patient into machine
    2) Turn on machine
    3) Take images using computer
    4) Save images
    5) Given images to radiologist

Radiologists are the ones making the big bucks sitting in a dark room looking at films all day.

HMO II

Thread Information