IF YOU WANT TO DO MEDICINE: (1 Viewer)

zombies

HSC
I'm sure people know what they're getting into when they choose medicine..?

Coookies

HSC
Makes me WANT to do medicine! I love watching all those hospital shows! :D
Just taking stuff out, fixing and replacing it, its really interesting.
But I still can't stand needles -_-

Aysce

HSC
I cannot agree more. I've always wanted to cut a human open... LOL jk I'm not kind of guy >.> <.<

wildchild666

HSC
Same, kind of.

Simorgh

HSC
Just can't wait to dissect those dead bodies. Like cutting them up and stuff is gonna be soo cool!!

Doing Med just for just the money and reputation is the worst reason to be doing it.

Flop21

HSC
holy fuck that was some nasty stuff

I feel like there's a MASSIVE difference from cutting open a real person (like surgery / surgery tv shows) to cutting open and looking at a dead one. It just looks so dead.

For me the head was the worst part. Then the skin. And wtf why isn't he wearing gloves???

Why did I just do that? Not even doing med.

(btw the link is dead, here's the new one: https://videos.med.wisc.edu/events/65 warning it truly is gross)

leehuan

HSC
Dissections are what put me off biology and med altogether

bangladesh

HSC
As far as I know, no medical school in Australia does full body dissections anymore so don't get too keen everyone

Simorgh

HSC
As far as I know, no medical school in Australia does full body dissections anymore so don't get too keen everyone
They still do it at USYD and elsewhere, if you could have done a simple google search. I don't know where you are getting this info from. http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/anatomy/current-student/whole-body-dissection/

It would have been so cool and especially helpful for Med students to check out the human body in its entirety, especially dissecting them! Rather than analysing already dissected bodies parts in jars which is least helpful.

How can you study medicine specifically anatomy without the use of full body cadavers?? Who gives a heck about how people feel and react to the presence of a dead body. They chose to do medicine and should expect this. All the world's top medical schools use cadavers.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
They still do it at USYD and elsewhere, if you could have done a simple google search. I don't know where you are getting this info from. http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/anatomy/current-student/whole-body-dissection/

It would have so cool and especially helpful for Med students to check out the human body in its entirety, especially dissecting them! Rather than analysing already dissected bodies parts in jars which is least helpful.

How can you study medicine specifically anatomy without the use of full body cadavers?? Who gives a heck about how people feel and react to the presence of a dead body. They chose to do medicine and should expect this. All the world's top medical schools use cadavers.
We learn using pre-dissected cadavers in "anatomy labs". They're not in jars (which Futurama might get you to think), but they're laid out on a table and yea you get to feel/touch it etc. I don't think the issue is that med students will react to the presence of a dead body, moreso it's the cost of running a program like this (finding people who are willing to donate their bodies to the cause + people who can run the program).

Simorgh

HSC
We learn using pre-dissected cadavers in "anatomy labs". They're not in jars (which Futurama might get you to think), but they're laid out on a table and yea you get to feel/touch it etc. I don't think the issue is that med students will react to the presence of a dead body, moreso it's the cost of running a program like this (finding people who are willing to donate their bodies to the cause + people who can run the program).
Thanks for clarifying this.

bangladesh

HSC
UYSD does them, as I'm aware.

But not UNE anymore. RIP lol.
You sure they still do it as part of their med degree? Pretty sure it's got its own course nowadays and all universities only use prosections for the purposes of medical teaching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)