How do you get into radiology? (1 Viewer)

premskies

HSC
Interested in radiology as a career. because i'm still in year 11 and haven't been to many career seminars and such, i'm not too sure what is required to get into radiology (required atar, courses etc)

Can somebody help me out? :))

Ryan_T90

HSC
Need an MBBS. So you need to be hitting the 99s and smash the UMAT. Finish your med degree, do your internship, complete your 2 year residency and then be accepted into the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists to undertake training as a radiologists as a registrar then following that (4-7 years registrar training, not sure) you complete your fellowship :)

I made that sound easy, well it's not, it's extremely difficult. Also, I'm not sure if what I said was 100% correct, I'm just going off the top of my head as I have no intentions of going to med school so I haven't researched this extensively.

I am sure if Dr_Fresh sees this he'll be able to answer it better.

premskies

HSC
Need an MBBS. So you need to be hitting the 99s and smash the UMAT. Finish your med degree, do your internship, complete your 2 year residency and then be accepted into the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists to undertake training as a radiologists as a registrar then following that (4-7 years registrar training, not sure) you complete your fellowship :)

I made that sound easy, well it's not, it's extremely difficult. Also, I'm not sure if what I said was 100% correct, I'm just going off the top of my head. I am sure if Dr_Fresh sees this he'll be able to answer it better.
Oh wow! Thanks for the help btw, you didn't make it sound easy hahah :)

Ryan_T90

HSC
If you're interested in the whole x-ray stuff and you aren't sure that you want to go to med school then there is always B. Diagnostic Radiography.

Radiographers work in the radiology department but rather than interpret the images, the radiographer takes the images, develops radiologic techniques, assesses patients, plans and evaluates the images taken. They have patient contact, albeit it is pretty minimal. However, there is definitely more interaction with patients than what a radiologists would have.

Sydney University offers B. Diagnostic Radiography, I think it's like around the 95 mark. I think CSU and maybe Newcastle also offer this course.

Again, this is all off the top of my head.

premskies

HSC
If you're interested in the whole x-ray stuff and you aren't sure that you want to go to med school then there is always B. Diagnostic Radiography.

Radiographers work in the radiology department but rather than interpret the images, the radiographer takes the images, develops radiologic techniques, assesses patients, plans and evaluates the images taken. They have patient contact, albeit it is pretty minimal. However, there is definitely more interaction with patients than what a radiologists would have.

Sydney University offers B. Diagnostic Radiography, I think it's like around the 95 mark. I think CSU and maybe Newcastle also offer this course.

Again, this is all off the top of my head.
Thanks, helps a lot! I will do some further research but you've really given me an idea into what is required.. second option sounds more realistic for me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)