undergrad med in UWS (1 Viewer)

xkingko

HSC
Hay guys.. I wanted to know how hard getting into the undergrad med course in uws would be. I'm still in year ten and am doing chem and MX1 next year. I want to know an atar and umat score that is likely to get me an interview

Thx

ocatal

HSC
UWS gives special consideration to people from GWS. If you're from GWS you need an ATAR of 93.55 whereas others would need 95.55 iirc. Once you meet the ATAR threshold they rank everyone against their UMAT scores. The UMAT score required varies between 145-155. They add section 1, 2 and half of section 3. So basically, once you meet the ATAR requirement its only the UMAT score they look at.

xkingko

HSC
UWS gives special consideration to people from GWS. If you're from GWS you need an ATAR of 93.55 whereas others would need 95.55 iirc. Once you meet the ATAR threshold they rank everyone against their UMAT scores. The UMAT score required varies between 145-155. They add section 1, 2 and half of section 3. So basically, once you meet the ATAR requirement its only the UMAT score they look at.
i am from blacktown, not sure if thats counted as greater western sydney, also, does getting a higher atar than the threshold lower the umat score required to get an interview?

EDIT- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Western_Sydney according to wiki, Blacktown is in GWS

Last edited:

ocatal

HSC
Yeah Blacktown is in GWS. Hmm I dont think the UMAT score is lowered if you get a higher ATAR. But iirc, I read somewhere that the UMAT score required for GWS applicants is also lower than non-GWS applicants.

Medman

HSC
Thinking ahead good job. You should start doing some volunteer work or be in charge of a project or something weird to differentiate yourself from everyone else.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
i am from blacktown, not sure if thats counted as greater western sydney, also, does getting a higher atar than the threshold lower the umat score required to get an interview?

EDIT- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Western_Sydney according to wiki, Blacktown is in GWS
There is a major clinical school in Blacktown so like, yep GWS.
The list of GWS postcodes, along with a whole bunch of other information, is on this site: http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs

Thinking ahead good job. You should start doing some volunteer work or be in charge of a project or something weird to differentiate yourself from everyone else.
I don't think this is that important tbh.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
im not in the best of schools... it has a long tail in biology, and since its not a prerequisite for med... i didn't choose it
If you're good at science I would recommend it.

It's very helpful.

I had a big tail at my school too, like 6 people failed every exam.

But as long as you do well (1st or 2nd) you'll do well.

Trust me, Biology is a lot more applicable than Chemistry, from what I've noticed.

xkingko

HSC
Yeah Blacktown is in GWS. Hmm I dont think the UMAT score is lowered if you get a higher ATAR. But iirc, I read somewhere that the UMAT score required for GWS applicants is also lower than non-GWS applicants.
does any1 have any information on this? i need to be sure

xkingko

HSC
If you're good at science I would recommend it.

It's very helpful.

I had a big tail at my school too, like 6 people failed every exam.

But as long as you do well (1st or 2nd) you'll do well.

Trust me, Biology is a lot more applicable than Chemistry, from what I've noticed.
im good in science, and i will most likely come first.. but isent it a lot of content and time consuming? also.. is it alright if i start in 12.. cus i wanna give economics a go

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
lol.. so it is important or isn't it? does it help in the interview?
I can't talk much about the interviews, but basically, doing your normal ~thing~ should be fine.

xkingko

HSC
I can't talk much about the interviews, but basically, doing your normal ~thing~ should be fine.
are you pledged to keep quiet about the interviews, cus there is no info on how to do well on the net

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
does any1 have any information on this? i need to be sure
This is usually true, but it depends.

The university is committed to health outcomes improving in GWS so they allow for 50% of students interviewed to be from the GWS area.
So, usually, this means the UMAT score of the last GWS person is lower than the lowest non-GWS score.

But then, at interviews, everyone is on an even playing field, meaning they take whoever performed best in interviews.
But this usually results in >55% of students being from GWS.

im good in science, and i will most likely come first.. but isent it a lot of content and time consuming? also.. is it alright if i start in 12.. cus i wanna give economics a go
Nah, Biology isn't that time-consuming from my experience.
Chemistry is probs harder, considering it has the same content level as Biology combined with the need to be mathematically capable of working out stuff ~~

You can't pick up a subject in year 12.

You can drop down subjects though
E.g.
MX1 + Mathematics can be dropped to just Mathematics, or dropped down to General Mathematics
EE1 + English (Adv) can be dropped to just Eng (Adv) or Eng (Std)
Chemistry or Biology or Physics can be dropped down to Senior Science
And you need at least 12 units in year 11 and 10 units in year 12, although most do more than these minimum requirements (afaik).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
are you pledged to keep quiet about the interviews, cus there is no info on how to do well on the net
We have to sign an agreement to not talk about interviews, especially to possible future applicants.

xkingko

HSC
We have to sign an agreement to not talk about interviews, especially to possible future applicants.
according to a lot of these "scaling records" chem scales higher and bio is almost as low as buisness studies

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
according to a lot of these "scaling records" chem scales higher and bio is almost as low as buisness studies
I wouldn't recommend doing Biology over Chemistry.

I just recommend doing them both if you can.

Subjects I would recommend:
English (Advanced) or higher
Maths Extension 1
Chemistry
Biology

That leaves you with like 4 or 5 more units.
So you can do:
Economics
Physics
SoR1

and have 14 units.

Then just drop stuff in year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)