Umat 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
Hi Everyone,

Q1. What does it take to get 100 percentile in Umat? How does it work, is it the number of questions you get right in each section divided by the total number of questions in each section?

Q2. Does anyone know if the Umat is separated into separate section or is each section mixed up like last year?

Q3. How do you improve in section 2, I consistly keep getting 30-34/40? What else can I do to improve in this section.

Q4. In section 3, what is the common type of questions they can ask, last year was pick the middle? What is the best way to prepare for this section?

Q5. In section 1, I tried really hard to understand the problem solving part but it is very hard? How do you prepare for this section? I know people say " Just practice doing questions.." I sure everyone knows this, but how do you learn the techniques like I mean drawing the table and flow chart to find the correct answer?

Thanks everyone,

I am sure everyone will benefit from your answers,

Last edited:

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
Anyone,

Where the hell is Medman, I need your help here! its ok, don't be embarrassed Med-man. Show us your Umat skills so we can all benefit,

You don't have to fight again, just be nice! Remember this is BOS, relax

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Anyone,

Where the hell is Medman, I need your help here! its ok, don't be embarrassed Med-man. Show us your Umat skills so we can all benefit,

You don't have to fight again, just be nice! Remember this is BOS, relax
lol.. can u like not copy my signature.. jeeez

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
lol.. can u like not copy my signature.. jeeez
Thats rude, now for making me releasize, I will make it stay as it is! HAHAHAHA

Your Sig sucks " You killed your self over that Atar when your currently actually doing medical science at uws with 70.20 Atar" stop hiding the truth we all know that, hahahahha

Only if your send me Umat Papers then I will get rid of my sig

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Thats rude, now for making me releasize, I will make it stay as it is! HAHAHAHA

Your Sig sucks " You killed your self over that Atar when your currently actually doing medical science at uws with 70.20 Atar" stop hiding the truth we all know that, hahahahha

Only if your send me Umat Papers then I will get rid of my sig
my god your grammar and spelling is shocking my friend..

I was joking about the sig and would've given you the umat papers for free if u asked nicely. but go fuck yourself.

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
my god your grammar and spelling is shocking my friend..

I was joking about the sig and would've given you the umat papers for free if u asked nicely. but go fuck yourself.
hahaha stoping lying, there is nothing wrong with my spelling, have you seen your spelling, its wose than a 6 year old. hahah

bullshit you would've given me umat papers, you go fuck yourself. too bad, I am not changing my sig because of you shit cunt,

send me your papers now if your seriously, or you can hid like a pussy

bangladesh

HSC
hahaha stoping lying, there is nothing wrong with my spelling, have you seen your spelling, its wose than a 6 year old. hahah

bullshit you would've given me umat papers, you go fuck yourself. too bad, I am not changing my sig because of you shit cunt,

send me your papers now if your seriously, or you can hid like a pussy
hahahahahhahahahahaahaahhahahaah omg i laugh so hard reading your posts.. you sound quite uneducated.

also, it's hide not 'hid'

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You're both aspiring doctors, act like someone who's going to be in the profession. This behaviour is pretty pathetic.
This.

Bans will be coming to both of you if you don't stop now.

santamat

HSC
Hi there.

Her are the answers to your questions, I just found them very quickly on umat preparation blog site.

Q1. What does it take to get 100 percentile in Umat? How does it work, is it the number of questions you get right in each section divided by the total number of questions in each section?

You will get a score per construct, while ACER keeps their methods of scaling a secret, I would imagine that the highest score achieved by a student that year will be the 100th percentile, and everyone else is scaled accordingly. You will receive a score for each construct of the test, and an overall score. You also will be provided with information on your overall percentile rank.The universities will set their own UMAT cut-off scores each year (percentile). Results are valid for 1 year only.

Q2. Does anyone know if the Umat is separated into separate section or is each section mixed up like last year?

All questions mixed into one exam, 134 questions / 3 hours + 10 mins reading time.

Q3. How do you improve in section 2, I consistly keep getting 30-34/40? What else can I do to improve in this section.

Whenever you are watching a movie, or reading a book, in scenarios where deep emotion is experienced, ask yourself how individual characters feel in each situation, and what is the emotion overall in that situation. How do emotions change? Section 2 is all about being able to interpret the emotions, rather than simply read the literature.

Even watching the daily news is good, and asking yourself the same questions, but try to use the UMAT jargon. Examine the meaning of empathy, sympathy, jealousy, envy, compassion, concern, etc. in those situations. Finally ask yourself, how do you feel towards the characters in the given situation? Are you feeling sympathetic, or maybe empathetic? It is important to develop understanding of what such words mean, as often these terms can be confused and used incorrectly when attempting the UMAT.

Practice reading newspaper articles, health journals, TIMES magazine within say 1 minute – 2 minutes initially – close your book and verbalise the key points without looking.

Q4. In section 3, what is the common type of questions they can ask, last year was pick the middle? What is the best way to prepare for this section?

Pick the middle used to be on the increase when the test was in sections, from what I heard after last year it was equal amount for all three types.

Q5. In section 1, I tried really hard to understand the problem solving part but it is very hard? How do you prepare for this section? I know people say " Just practice doing questions.." I sure everyone knows this, but how do you learn the techniques like I mean drawing the table and flow chart to find the correct answer?

I sat UMAT and I really think you can't get ready for this section , but what i heard from other students is that some of the questions are recycled, i.e. they are different buy solving strategy remains same, and apparently some prep courses teach those style of questions, not sure though, don't take advise from me as I never did a course (and failed, ha-ha)

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
Hi there.

Her are the answers to your questions, I just found them very quickly on umat preparation blog site.

You will get a score per construct, while ACER keeps their methods of scaling a secret, I would imagine that the highest score achieved by a student that year will be the 100th percentile, and everyone else is scaled accordingly. You will receive a score for each construct of the test, and an overall score. You also will be provided with information on your overall percentile rank.The universities will set their own UMAT cut-off scores each year (percentile). Results are valid for 1 year only.

All questions mixed into one exam, 134 questions / 3 hours + 10 mins reading time.

Whenever you are watching a movie, or reading a book, in scenarios where deep emotion is experienced, ask yourself how individual characters feel in each situation, and what is the emotion overall in that situation. How do emotions change? Section 2 is all about being able to interpret the emotions, rather than simply read the literature.

Even watching the daily news is good, and asking yourself the same questions, but try to use the UMAT jargon. Examine the meaning of empathy, sympathy, jealousy, envy, compassion, concern, etc. in those situations. Finally ask yourself, how do you feel towards the characters in the given situation? Are you feeling sympathetic, or maybe empathetic? It is important to develop understanding of what such words mean, as often these terms can be confused and used incorrectly when attempting the UMAT.

Practice reading newspaper articles, health journals, TIMES magazine within say 1 minute – 2 minutes initially – close your book and verbalise the key points without looking.

Pick the middle used to be on the increase when the test was in sections, from what I heard after last year it was equal amount for all three types.

I sat UMAT and I really think you can't get ready for this section , but what i heard from other students is that some of the questions are recycled, i.e. they are different buy solving strategy remains same, and apparently some prep courses teach those style of questions, not sure though, don't take advise from me as I never did a course (and failed, ha-ha)
^ THIS IS WHAT I call answer, what a camp!

hey my man, what was your Umat Percentile, so this year are they going to mix the Umat? I hate how they mix up the questions, its so disorganised and annoying? It should be separate sections,

we just have to keep helping each other and we will do great!

Do you have any umat materials you can give me! I know your a good person, its good to help me

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
ok, I will behave from now on, but please make amirbang to stop acting like a baby.
It's the real world mate, suck it up, grow a pair and at least pretend to be the professional you aspire to be. Not everyone patient or colleague is going to be as friendly or as "mature" as you are. Deal with it and move on. There aren't going to be moderators in a clinic/hospital setting, just the difference between looking and acting like you belong there or looking and acting like a twat.

Take this as friendly advice from someone who's doing what you want to do right now otherwise it'll bite you in the arse one way or another. Heaps of junior students give their year a bad name by mouthing off at other folks or just being difficult to work with. Don't be one of those people.

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
You're both aspiring doctors, act like someone who's going to be in the profession. This behaviour is pretty pathetic.
Thank you so much for that, I apologise Doctor Hav. and I am sorry amirbang. We seriously need to stop,

Last edited:

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
It's the real world mate, suck it up, grow a pair and at least pretend to be the professional you aspire to be. Not everyone patient or colleague is going to be as friendly or as "mature" as you are. Deal with it and move on. There aren't going to be moderators in a clinic/hospital setting, just the difference between looking and acting like you belong there or looking and acting like a twat.

Take this as friendly advice from someone who's doing what you want to do right now otherwise it'll bite you in the arse one way or another. Heaps of junior students give their year a bad name by mouthing off at other folks or just being difficult to work with. Don't be one of those people.
I like your man, your a champ!

I want to also apply to medicine at uws next year hopefully! I had these questions for you! Please help me,

1. for 1 semester full time GPA = 6.0, I was wondering how does it work to get gpa of 6.0. What marks/percentage would I need in each unit? I am doing 4 unit currently, if I screwed one exam in one unit worth 20%, can I still get a GPA OF 6 for first semester?

2. Do I need to apply online to transfer, if I want to use my first semester gpa, when do I need to apply for medicine?

3. To get a gpa, do I need to request for it or do I automaticly get my gpa?

4. So to reapply for medicine for 2015, do I only need gpa of 6.0 and a higher umat? Will Uws look at my Atar,

5. Can you do three units in first semester and get a gpa 6 and apply for medicine?

6. What would be the miminum number of units you can do to get a gpa?

7. What is the best way to study for Umat?

8. What is the best way t prepare/study for Uni?

9. How is medicine at uws, is it really hard?

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I like your man, your a champ!

I want to also apply to medicine at uws next year hopefully! I had these questions for you!

1. for 1 semester full time GPA = 6.0, I was wondering how does it work to get gpa of 6.0. What marks/percentage would I need in each unit? I am doing 4 unit currently.

2. Do I need to apply online to transfer, if I want to use my first semester gpa, when do I need to apply for medicine?

3. To get a gpa, do I need to request for it or do I automaticly get my gpa?

4. So to reapply for medicine for 2015, do I only need gpa of 6.0 and a higher umat? Will Uws look at my Atar,

5. Can you do three units in first semester and get a gpa 6 and apply for medicine?

6. What would be the miminum number of units you can do to get a gpa?
http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs#criteria
http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs/local_applicants_-_how_to_apply

1. I should think Distinctions and above, it's 6.5 for single semester
2. You do need to apply online, you still go through UAC. I believe the School of Med site lists this stuff in huge detail.
3. Ask for an academic transcript, these are useful as proof of achievement.
4. Just your GPA for this school, differs within institutions though.
5. Refer to 1, it also depends on where you live GWS or not.
6. You need to do 1 semester full time, so work out what your unit loading is for that to count

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs#criteria
http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs/local_applicants_-_how_to_apply

1. I should think Distinctions and above, it's 6.5 for single semester
So, do I have to get D inorder to get GPA 6.0, sorry I forgot to mention I am a GWS student.
2. You do need to apply online, you still go through UAC. I believe the School of Med site lists this stuff in huge detail. Can you explain it for me the whole entery process if I am to apply as a first year uni student for uws medicine , the site is confusing as hell!
3. Ask for an academic transcript, these are useful as proof of achievement.
What do you mean by this, I am confused, how do I go about doing this?
4. Just your GPA for this school, differs within institutions though.
So the uws school of medicine will only look at my GPA and UMAT for my first semester. Lets say I got 5.7, will they still give me an interview?
5. Refer to 1, it also depends on where you live GWS or not.
6. You need to do 1 semester full time, so work out what your unit loading is for that to count
I am so confused in this questions, how do I work out my unit load. I meant how many units do I have to do to get a GPA? I am doing four currently, is three units acceptable?

my Other quetsions you forgot to answer!

7. What is the best way to study for Umat?

8. What is the best way t prepare/study for Uni?

9. How is medicine at uws, is it really hard?

10. If I screwed one exam in one unit worth 20%, can I still get a GPA OF 6 for first semester?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
1. You need to "average" a 6.0 in all your subjects.
3. Head to your student office after your exams are done and you're about to submit applications. Alternately call the UWS SoM and ask them what you need.
4. I don't know, I guess they would.
7. What the other guy said above.
8. Consistency, study consistently and actually attend lectures and tutes and pay attention in them.
9. Medicine at any institution is hard. Been pretty lazy about it last year but below should suffice.
http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/blogs/havox/
10. Depends on how well you do in the others I suppose.

Medicine100

Banned
HSC
1. You need to "average" a 6.0 in all your subjects.
3. Head to your student office after your exams are done and you're about to submit applications. Alternately call the UWS SoM and ask them what you need.
4. I don't know, I guess they would.
7. What the other guy said above.
8. Consistency, study consistently and actually attend lectures and tutes and pay attention in them.
9. Medicine at any institution is hard. Been pretty lazy about it last year but below should suffice.
http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/blogs/havox/
10. Depends on how well you do in the others I suppose.
2. You do need to apply online, you still go through UAC. I believe the School of Med site lists this stuff in huge detail.

Can you explain it for me the whole entery process if I am to apply as a first year uni student for uws medicine , the site is confusing as hell!

3. How do you study for uni? I seriously don't know How, how do you study, do you make any summary notes?

For each of my units, how should I study my lectures and assigned readings from textbook?

so lets say I get home and what should I do after each day after uni,

4. How did you personally study for umat, what percentile did you get that got you an interview? What umat percentile do you need for uws medicine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)