Chances of getting into Medicine? (1 Viewer)

youngsky

poof
HSC
Hey guys,

So the UMAT and my trials are coming up, and both begin in the same week. I'm aiming for UNSW and UWS medicine atm, and if that doesn't work out then going a bit further, e.g. UNCLE would be fine too.

Currently go to a top 30 ranked high school and getting ATAR estimates around 99.00-99.50, and in terms of the UMAT, I have done a couple of practice exams and got 124/134 ish. I have a feeling that I may be a little off the mark though. So, I'd like to know what the odds are of getting into medicine (so far) from some people who have had the experience?

Cheers

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Your ATAR should be fine for uws med and possibly unsw med but u need to pick up ur UMAT score in the actual exam

emilios

HSC
OP what UMAT scores are you referring to? If that 124/134 was on Medentry then go accept your MD right now. If it was one of the ACER practice exams, you might wanna get your hands on another paper between now and next week cos those ones are a bit too easy. If you can pull 124/134 on the actual UMAT then you'll probably get offers from most unis in the country.

Anyway you seem like a smart bloke, you should get in (unlike me lol).

bangladesh

HSC
Your ATAR should be fine for uws med and possibly unsw med but u need to pick up ur UMAT score in the actual exam
If he pulls a 124/134 raw score in the actual umat, his score will be off the chart in the 100th percentile..

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Wait 124 average raw score of the sections or 124 combined mark?

(Sorry, UMAT might have a different format from when i did it in 2011)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

So the UMAT and my trials are coming up, and both begin in the same week. I'm aiming for UNSW and UWS medicine atm, and if that doesn't work out then going a bit further, e.g. UNCLE would be fine too.

Currently go to a top 30 ranked high school and getting ATAR estimates around 99.00-99.50, and in terms of the UMAT, I have done a couple of practice exams and got 124/134 ish. I have a feeling that I may be a little off the mark though. So, I'd like to know what the odds are of getting into medicine (so far) from some people who have had the experience?

Cheers
Someone give him a Nobel prize

emilios

HSC

All 3 sections are together now so the raw mark would be 134. Out of the whole exam OP only lost 10 marks.

bangladesh

HSC

so what he meant is getting 124 of the 134 questions right.

youngsky

poof
HSC
OP what UMAT scores are you referring to? If that 124/134 was on Medentry then go accept your MD right now. If it was one of the ACER practice exams, you might wanna get your hands on another paper between now and next week cos those ones are a bit too easy. If you can pull 124/134 on the actual UMAT then you'll probably get offers from most unis in the country.

Anyway you seem like a smart bloke, you should get in (unlike me lol).
Yeah it was the ACER practice exams, not Medentry cause I haven't bought anything from them. Btw are you referring to a particular Medentry test paper or you mean to say that Medentry papers are generally harder?

By 124/134 I mean out of 134 questions I answered 124 of them correctly, just clarifying :)

tlaw666

HSC
UNSW is pretty hard to get into for medicine from what i've heard, but it sounds like you can definitely have a good shot at it. If you don't get into unsw you'll definitely get in somewhere else. gl bro

emilios

HSC
Yeah I dont mean to burst your bubble, but myself and many other people I know get like 110-120 on the ACER tests but like 84-85 on the Medentry, which are a better reflection of the actual paper.

You could be a genius for all i know, all im saying is that the ACER ones are generally too easy and you should try another company's for good measure.

bangladesh

HSC
Depends on which acer you do, 1 and 2 is easy but 3 is harder. Many of the questions in practice test 3 are straight out of last year's umat exam.
Has anyone done the third one?

youngsky

poof
HSC
Yeah I dont mean to burst your bubble, but myself and many other people I know get like 110-120 on the ACER tests but like 84-85 on the Medentry, which are a better reflection of the actual paper.

You could be a genius for all i know, all im saying is that the ACER ones are generally too easy and you should try another company's for good measure.
Yeah I do think that particular ACER test didn't fully represent what questions might be encountered...

Anyway I happened to have one of those Medentry papers on hand - finished the paper just now. Was a fair bit more difficult.
[S1: 38/44] + [S2: 29/36] + [S3: 27/30] = 94/110? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)