Physiotherapy (1 Viewer)

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Well over the last year or so I have decided that my goal is to become a physiotherapist. I have a couple questions regarding the degree.

Does it require the UMAT?
Would chemistry, biology and PDHPE in year 11 and 12 provide me the best grounding for physiotherapist? Or should I try physics? Could I get subject bonus points through these subjects?
How competitive is the degree in terms of transfer/ and or getting in through atar?
Does the university matter?

Thanks

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Well over the last year or so I have decided that my goal is to become a physiotherapist. I have a couple questions regarding the degree.

Would chemistry, biology and PDHPE in year 11 and 12 provide me the best grounding for physiotherapist? Or should I try physics?
How competitive is the degree in terms of transfer/ and or getting in through atar?

Thanks
I went to UWS Physio for first sem only so I'll give basic answers

1. Don't think so, at least for UWS and USYD although entry is competitive
2. From what Ive experienced, biology is probably most essential as you learn human anatomy and physiology, followed by PDHPE - tbh not completely essential prerequisites so better to do subjects you feel you could enjoy, excel in, and could maximise your ATAR.
3. Internal/external transfer are definitely competitive given how large the pool of people wanting to transfer, and the limited number of space. Not sure but you would need minimum GPA/WAM that a distinction to have a chance. Also, ATAR req has been increasing gradually over the past 5 years so it is going to be tough especially for USYD (98-99 iirc) where they have a max threshold of bonus points being ~2 (Check the site, havent revised myself how this works). UWS is 99.95 but most likely you'll be eligible for local bonus point scheme which gives 5 points for living under one of the postcodes listed on the website. Try EAS if you can as well
4. There may be some slight bias corresponding to say USYD compared to UWS, but at the end of the day, they are both accredited physiotherapy courses (UWS got provisionally accredited recently) and dont think it will impact greatly on job opportunities

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Don't live under one of the postcodes unfortunately. Thanks for the advice

such_such

HSC
^ Nah I know people who live around Epping and got into UWS physio by bonus points. UWS is very generous with bonus points:) Just aim ~ 95 should be fine.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Don't live under one of the postcodes unfortunately. Thanks for the advice
Well I only considered UWS and USYD when I was applying. Perhaps you could look into physio in CSU, ACU, UoN etc. which probably has ATAR requirements lower than USYD and UWS, and check their bonus point schemes as well.

Also, iirc a person I knew transferred from Macq Uni to UWS Physio with a high credit GPA.

madharris

HSC
N/A

Would chemistry, biology and PDHPE in year 11 and 12 provide me the best grounding for physiotherapist? Or should I try physics? Could I get subject bonus points through these subjects?

Thanks
You don't need UMAT for any physio

Chem, bio, pd and maths are definitely good to set yourself up for this course as far as I know

Atar is 97-99.95 for all the uni's I know that offer physio. I terms of transferring, I know that ACU and UWS aren't too difficult to transfer into, however I know a few friends doing Healthscience, exercise sport science and EP at usyd who got HD averages and weren't able to transfer into Usyd physio.

And no, the uni that you transfer from doesn't matter if you transfer into the undergrad degree.
If you're considering the GEM program at usyd though (Graduate Entry Masters - Physio), I do know that you'll have a better chance at getting in if you do a course at usyd

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all your help so far

I currently go to a catholic high school, would that be advantageous in me trying to get into north sydney acu physiotherapy?

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all your help so far

I currently go to a catholic high school, would that be advantageous in me trying to get into north sydney acu physiotherapy?
From my knowledge no, but look at their website and see if you can find anything such as bonus points and schemes that they may offer.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
hi guys just one quick question..
Can you transfer from b science or b pharmacy into b of physio if you have a high enough gpa?

madijd

HSC
Do HSC courses that will get you the highest ATAR as its very hard to get in! I wish I had known that before going into yr 11/12!!

lukeshaayz

HSC
I went to UWS Physio for first sem only so I'll give basic answers

1. Don't think so, at least for UWS and USYD although entry is competitive
2. From what Ive experienced, biology is probably most essential as you learn human anatomy and physiology, followed by PDHPE - tbh not completely essential prerequisites so better to do subjects you feel you could enjoy, excel in, and could maximise your ATAR.
3. Internal/external transfer are definitely competitive given how large the pool of people wanting to transfer, and the limited number of space. Not sure but you would need minimum GPA/WAM that a distinction to have a chance. Also, ATAR req has been increasing gradually over the past 5 years so it is going to be tough especially for USYD (98-99 iirc) where they have a max threshold of bonus points being ~2 (Check the site, havent revised myself how this works). UWS is 99.95 but most likely you'll be eligible for local bonus point scheme which gives 5 points for living under one of the postcodes listed on the website. Try EAS if you can as well
4. There may be some slight bias corresponding to say USYD compared to UWS, but at the end of the day, they are both accredited physiotherapy courses (UWS got provisionally accredited recently) and dont think it will impact greatly on job opportunities
Hi, can i ask why you only stayed at UWS physio for one semester?

Last edited:

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Hi, can i ask why you only stayed at UWS physio for one semester?
I chose the course because I wanted to challenge myself and read up that the job prospects were decent. Was not my cup of tea and now I am doing engineering which I actually enjoy (for the time being). If you want to do UWS Physio and you think you are capable, by all means do it, the campus is really spacious and tranquil and conveniently next to the station and Macarthur shopping centre. Avoid all that negative stigma about it being a UWS course and considering that the degree also incorporates B. Health Science, you'll meet other aspiring health professionals from all walks of life.

Jeniistar

HSC
No it does not require the UMAT unless it's Monash. Best to check the university website.
Chemistry and biology certainly helps with first year university subjects, PDHPE not so much.
It is a HIGHLY competitive course, you need 98+ atar to get in usyd and 99.95 for uws. I have a friend who did B. Exercise Physiology at UNSW with a wam of 75 and Usyd did not allow him to transfer because they did not have enough spots (he tried to transfer every year for 3 years). You can try postgraduate physiotherapy which usually requires 70-75+ wam, however every year it just gets harder to get in.
University does not matter too much, but Usyd is certainly known for its prestige and graduates are more likely to find jobs.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
1) No UMAT for USyd/ACU/CSU/UWS. ATAR points required for entry are high though. UWS physio has an ATAR of 99.95
2) Yes, those subjects will help you a bit, but not a lot. You're taught everything from scratch.
3) USyd offers bonus points for 2U Maths and higher, Advanced English, Chem, Bio, Phys. UWS offers regional bonus points if you live in Western Sydney. Check with the UWS website to see if your postcode is eligible.
4) Transfers into physio is highly competitive. You could try Graduate Entry Masters if you didn't make undergrad.
5) Universities don't matter. You're basically taught the same stuff by different lecturers and different tutors at different universities. It's like USyd vs UNSW commerce or engineering. Same stuff, taught by different teachers at different universities. All that matters are your grades. It's not like USyd/UNSW law vs UWS law, where the prestige of the university matters.

bangladesh

HSC
1) No UMAT for USyd/ACU/CSU/UWS. ATAR points required for entry are high though. UWS physio has an ATAR of 99.95
2) Yes, those subjects will help you a bit, but not a lot. You're taught everything from scratch.
3) USyd offers bonus points for 2U Maths and higher, Advanced English, Chem, Bio, Phys. UWS offers regional bonus points if you live in Western Sydney. Check with the UWS website to see if your postcode is eligible.
4) Transfers into physio is highly competitive. You could try Graduate Entry Masters if you didn't make undergrad.
5) Universities don't matter. You're basically taught the same stuff by different lecturers and different tutors at different universities. It's like USyd vs UNSW commerce or engineering. Same stuff, taught by different teachers at different universities. All that matters are your grades. It's not like USyd/UNSW law vs UWS law, where the prestige of the university matters.
No it doesn't.

redjnr

HSC
Automatic 5 bonus points if you live in Greater Western Sydney means limit should really be 94.95.

Though to be fair every university has bonus points to inflate the cut off ATAR.

emilios

HSC
lol, that document is not valid for all courses. No one who attains an atar of 99.95 would want to do physio at UWS.
not only that, but it includes bonus points. take away 5 for a realistic figure of ~95

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)