To do physio or settle for exercise phys (1 Viewer)

migSTARR

HSC
Hey guys with the HSC exams and UAC applications looming I've found myself in a bit of a pickle.

I've decided that my first preferences will be physiotherapy at USYD, ACU and then UWS followed by exercise physiology at USYD and UNSW. Looking at the ATAR for USYD's physio (98.85) the chances of me getting into the course there are very slim. Currently my estimated ATAR is sitting around 94-96, and if I somehow miraculously get a band 6 for english I'll probably get boosted to a 97. However with at least 5 bonus points from both UWS and ACU (5 for living in the greater west/school relationships and 2+ from getting band 6's and e4's in advanced maths and extension 1 maths) I could see myself comfortably getting into the physio course at those two units.

However the whole "prestige" of USYD is what's troubling me. If I don't get the ATAR for physio at USYD but get into ACU or UWS should I accept the offer or just settle for exercise physiology at USYD/UNSW (92.35 and 85 respectively). The job opportunities for exercise physiology aren't as great as physio but I will be going to a "better" university.

td;lr: do physiotherapy no matter what the uni because at the end of the day I'll have the degree all the same or settle for a lesser course just for the "prestige".
Sorry if I sound like a massive cunt. Being at a selective school's kind of conditioned me for the "USYD/UNSW OR NOTHING" attitude

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you really care about doing physio then I would accept it any uni. With EP and transferring, you might not even have a chance of transferring due to the competitiveness of both the undergrad and postgrad degree. If you do decide to stay in EP, then you'll Realize that not as many job opportunities is an understatement :p

In terms of what's better UWS or ACU, they're probably just as good as each other. They're both accredited by the Australian physio association or whatever so it doesn't matter too much.
You should decide on the two through other factors such as location, benefits, etc.

I think UWS is actually a health science degree and a master's of physio, so that could be the better option as you end up with 2 degrees instead of 1. That's just a thought though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

migSTARR

HSC
If you really care about doing physio then I would accept it any uni. With EP and transferring, you might not even have a chance of transferring due to the competitiveness of both the undergrad and postgrad degree. If you do decide to stay in EP, then you'll Realize that not as many job opportunities is an understatement :p

In terms of what's better UWS or ACU, they're probably just as good as each other. They're both accredited by the Australian physio association or whatever so it doesn't matter too much.
You should decide on the two through other factors such as location, benefits, etc.

I think UWS is actually a health science degree and a master's of physio, so that could be the better option as you end up with 2 degrees instead of 1. That's just a thought though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cheers man, you've definitely given me food for thought

podpaul

HSC
Hey guys with the HSC exams and UAC applications looming I've found myself in a bit of a pickle.

I've decided that my first preferences will be physiotherapy at USYD, ACU and then UWS followed by exercise physiology at USYD and UNSW. Looking at the ATAR for USYD's physio (98.85) the chances of me getting into the course there are very slim. Currently my estimated ATAR is sitting around 94-96, and if I somehow miraculously get a band 6 for english I'll probably get boosted to a 97. However with at least 5 bonus points from both UWS and ACU (5 for living in the greater west/school relationships and 2+ from getting band 6's and e4's in advanced maths and extension 1 maths) I could see myself comfortably getting into the physio course at those two units.

However the whole "prestige" of USYD is what's troubling me. If I don't get the ATAR for physio at USYD but get into ACU or UWS should I accept the offer or just settle for exercise physiology at USYD/UNSW (92.35 and 85 respectively). The job opportunities for exercise physiology aren't as great as physio but I will be going to a "better" university.

td;lr: do physiotherapy no matter what the uni because at the end of the day I'll have the degree all the same or settle for a lesser course just for the "prestige".
Sorry if I sound like a massive cunt. Being at a selective school's kind of conditioned me for the "USYD/UNSW OR NOTHING" attitude
Hey mate,
Just to reassure you, it will not matter which uni you go to. As long as you complete your physio degree and get your registration as a physiotherapist, you are just as employable as someone who would've graduated from USYD. All universities follow a guideline which complies with the board of physiotherapy Australia.. so really.. it won't matter where you go. As long as you graduate.
Hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)