chances of making it to med (1 Viewer)

tyrone97

HSC
Hey guys i tried to find a main stickied thread where people could get estimates as to whether or not they have a good chance of getting into med, but i couldn't find one so i started a new one myself.

ATAR: 99.90 , missed out on Usyd :( ...
UMAT: 95%ile

Interviews
UNE - failed (already know no chance of entry)
UWS - average/below average but not too bad (66% interview, 33% umat iirc?)
UNSW - ditto, a tad bit below average but I didn't feel like it was a catastrophe, stumbled up on a few questions when they started pressing me as to why Med as opposed to other careers, and why UNSW was good for me - not just anyone but for ME (equal weighting for atar, umat enterview)
Adelaide - average (40% ATAR, 40% interview, 20% umat)

So which uni's do you think I have a shot at? (also I applied to Flinders uni which is 90% atar, 10% umat and griffith which is provisional entry 99.6+ atar required - hopefully cutoff doesnt rise up).

thanks in advance

Flop21

HSC
Have you tried University of Wollongong?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow, didn't even think of that. I'm actually looking on their website and it looks like they have a "GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE", but I can't find any info on it. Or is that not the right thing?
Not to sure about UOW but I'm sure they don't offer undergrad med. Maybe, post but not too sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
ur atar and umat is high enough for u to have a decent chance at unsw even with an average interview i think

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't get in. Get into USYD after a bachelors degree. Do med sci, or health science, sit the GSMAT and ur in.

7 years with 2 degrees.

iStudent

HSC
You should get in at Griffith and UQ. Maybe, UMelb if you applied. So your chances are 99% where 1% is when cutoffs rise significantly or something really unexpected happens!
Wait - it appears you didn't apply at UQ. Why not?

UNE interviews are actually one of the hardest. You might have gotten in who knows! Don't lose hope :)
(but I'm assuming UNCLE and UNE have the same interviews...)

You actually scored the exact same ATAR and UMAT as I did! haha

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Just to clear things up, UOW only offers postgraduate med, it's regarded as one of the best UNI's to study medicine.

tyrone97

HSC
If you don't get in. Get into USYD after a bachelors degree. Do med sci, or health science, sit the GSMAT and ur in.

7 years with 2 degrees.

that is much easier said than done! I would be more comfortable sitting for the GAMSAT if it wasn't for the humanities section - and not to mention the interviews which they'd probably ramp up the difficulty for (compared to interviewing for school leavers)

tyrone97

HSC
You should get in at Griffith and UQ. Maybe, UMelb if you applied. So your chances are 99% where 1% is when cutoffs rise significantly or something really unexpected happens!
Wait - it appears you didn't apply at UQ. Why not?

UNE interviews are actually one of the hardest. You might have gotten in who knows! Don't lose hope :)
(but I'm assuming UNCLE and UNE have the same interviews...)

You actually scored the exact same ATAR and UMAT as I did! haha
Yeah i applied for UQ (I forgot to include it) but I'd rather not move interstate. I really want to get into UNSW but I hear thats one of the hardest to get into (after USyd Combined Med ofc).

bangladesh

HSC
You can't ask something like this because it's completely up to your interview. I know people with scores less than that who got in and people with higher scores who didnt or ended up with bonded.

tyrone97

HSC
You can't ask something like this because it's completely up to your interview. I know people with scores less than that who got in and people with higher scores who didnt or ended up with bonded.
wow shit i guess i can say goodbye to med in nsw considering i'm probably ranked near the bottom if you look at interviews only.

Bearman

HSC
Don't lose hope yet because of how you think you went in the interview, you may be pleasantly surprised. If you're not keen to move out of NSW then your options are pretty much limited to what you've already listed; otherwise, with 99.90 and 95 UMAT you're basically guaranteed Griffith/UQ and can also apply for the UMelb guaranteed pathway.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
How about the UNSW medical science pathway? If you aren't given any offers and you are still passionate about pursuing medicine, I think that it's the next best thing to get you there.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
You have a good chance.

No offence, but you personally cannot judge your performance in the interview. You could think it's shit, but the interviewers are amazed.

I'll be very surprised if you don't get in, because those marks are amazing, meaning that your people skills are lacking.

In the event that happens, you're basically guaranteed a spot at Griffith or UQ.

Also, pro tip: Don't worry about moving interstate. You end up with the same qualifications where ever you go, plus it's an amazing experience.

tomnomnom696

HSC Goddess
HSC
pretty sure you have a god shot at UNSW med still. to think some people with 80s umat can get in by acing the interview its basically equivalent to your atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)