pathway to get into medicine without UMAT score atm (1 Viewer)

gahyunkk

HSC
I'm an international students and got ATAR 99.75.
I wasn't thinking of doing medicine before so I didn't sit for UMAT test this year.
For both UNSW or Syd uni, what's gonna be my pathway?

(I already got offers from actuarial studies(UNSW/macq uni/ANU) and commerce(syd uni).
Should I accept my original first preference (actuarial at UNSW) for in case and then change my preferences for next round?)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yes accept them, and do UMAT. If your wam/gpa isn't high enough they will take your ATAR into consideration.

iStudent

HSC
It's unfortunate that you didn't apply interstate to Griffith uni because you would've made it in!
You can consider taking a gap year and sitting the UMAT. Alternatively, take a gap year. Apply to Griffith University and you're in 99% (1% where cutoffs rise). I seriously suggest you NOT to start uni because transferring is much harder than getting in as a school leaver! (besides you already got in with that ATAR - why would you need to start an actuarial degree that you won't event finish?)

You should research this because it might be different for international students.

Note: Griffith is a graduate 7 year degree! Its cutoff is 99.6 (so you're quite well above it)

Last edited:

gahyunkk

HSC
Yes accept them, and do UMAT. If your wam/gpa isn't high enough they will take your ATAR into consideration.
So u mean go to actuarial studies in UNSW and transfer to medicine next week after i sit for UMAT?
Do they see my gpa + my atar?

gahyunkk

HSC
It's unfortunate that you didn't apply interstate to Griffith uni because you would've made it in!
You can consider taking a gap year and sitting the UMAT. Alternatively, take a gap year. Apply to Griffith University and you're in 99% (1% where cutoffs rise). I seriously suggest you NOT to start uni because transferring is much harder than getting in as a school leaver! (besides you already got in with that ATAR - why would you need to start an actuarial degree that you won't event finish?)

You should research this because it might be different for international students.

Note: Griffith is a graduate 7 year degree! Its cutoff is 99.6 (so you're quite well above it)
Coz i want to have a go but I don't want to just waste a year for gap year. For back up plan i could still continue actuarial studies if i can't transfer into medicine.
Is it that hard to transfer to UNSW medicine from actuarial?

iStudent

HSC
Coz i want to have a go but I don't want to just waste a year for gap year. For back up plan i could still continue actuarial studies if i can't transfer into medicine.
Is it that hard to transfer to UNSW medicine from actuarial?
Griffith is in queensland btw. (but med is the same for all unis). At least for Australian residents...
You can't wait 1 week. UMAT is a yearly thing so either way you're going to have to wait 1 year before you can get into med.
Not sure about GPA/ATAR. Yes it is very hard to transfer into med at unsw. There's like less than 10 spots (correct me if I'm wrong) and you're competing with a LOT of people! (don't forget all those medical science students). There's also the interview! For Griffith there's no interview no umat just atar and you're in!

*I'm not sure about criteria for international students. I'm not sure if they even offer positions :/ (again someone correct me if I'm wrong).

iStudent

HSC
Being a doctor is going to take a long time anyway. Taking a gap year and "wasting" it shouldn't be a concern...

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Griffith is in queensland btw. (but med is the same for all unis). At least for Australian residents...
You can't wait 1 week. UMAT is a yearly thing so either way you're going to have to wait 1 year before you can get into med.
Not sure about GPA/ATAR. Yes it is very hard to transfer into med at unsw. There's like less than 10 spots (correct me if I'm wrong) and you're competing with a LOT of people! (don't forget all those medical science students). There's also the interview! For Griffith there's no interview no umat just atar and you're in!

*I'm not sure about criteria for international students. I'm not sure if they even offer positions :/ (again someone correct me if I'm wrong).
6 spots I think

gahyunkk

HSC

What do u mean by medicine is the same for all unis? And i cant wait 1week???

iStudent

HSC
What do u mean by medicine is the same for all unis? And i cant wait 1week???
A med degree at less prestigious unis such as UWS will let you find a job/become a doctor the same way as someone from USYD. It doesn't matter which university you go to for medicine. Unfortunately, you can't wait 1 week haha. UMAT happens around June (middle of the year - forgot exactly when). Then you need to get results etc etc and by that time it's August. Then interviews in November-December. THEN you can finally transfer if you're lucky.

gahyunkk

HSC
A med degree at less prestigious unis such as UWS will let you find a job/become a doctor the same way as someone from USYD. It doesn't matter which university you go to for medicine. Unfortunately, you can't wait 1 week haha. UMAT happens around June (middle of the year - forgot exactly when). Then you need to get results etc etc and by that time it's August. Then interviews in November-December. THEN you can finally transfer if you're lucky.
Oh lol i just realised i said 'week' instead of 'year' hahaha.
But what about USYD's medicine?
I can do tertiary transfer for UNSW
But for USYD, they have B of commerce/Doctor of medicine, so do i have to go to B of commerce first and sit for UMAT next year to transfer to 'B of commerce/Doctor of medicine' course...? (I'm really confused about this part)

iStudent

HSC
For USYD, you don't sit for the UMAT. Instead you sit for the GAMSAT (apparently a lot harder than the UMAT), pass the interviews and start the medical degree after your undergraduate degree. It's advised though, that you do a degree with some science in it (since it helps with the science component in the GAMSAT - this is according to others though, as I haven't sat the GAMSAT myself).
Also, you can take the GAMSAT every year (so like, you can do it 3 times. As long as you pass it once you're in for graduate medicine).

Also, you don't really "transfer". You can only start the medical degree after your undergrad commerce degree. (in a sense you're allowed to continue into graduate medical studies by doing all that)

gahyunkk

HSC
For USYD, you don't sit for the UMAT. Instead you sit for the GAMSAT (apparently a lot harder than the UMAT), pass the interviews and start the medical degree after your undergraduate degree. It's advised though, that you do a degree with some science in it (since it helps with the science component in the GAMSAT - this is according to others though, as I haven't sat the GAMSAT myself).
Also, you can take the GAMSAT every year (so like, you can do it 3 times. As long as you pass it once you're in for graduate medicine).

Also, you don't really "transfer". You can only start the medical degree after your undergrad commerce degree. (in a sense you're allowed to continue into graduate medical studies by doing all that)
Ohhh i get it now. So UMAT score is only necessary for high school leavers directly applying for B of sth/Doctor of medicine. But since we get into any degree, only possible option is taking GAMSAT to get into graduate medicine.
Is my understanding correct :eek:??

Btw if i pass GAMSAT, am i 100% garanteed to medical studies??
And is it possible to study actuarial in UNSW and take GAMSAT to apply for graduate medicine in USYD? (or do they only take their own graduates?)

iStudent

HSC
You also need to pass the interviews :/ (so need gpa gamsat + interviews). Pass all those and you're in!
You'll have to research that, sorry. My knowledge in the graduate entry process is limited because I never considered it. Try the USYD website :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)