UNSW average UMAT?? (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
Average ATAR of someone studying med at UNSW is above 99.60
Anyone know the 'average' UMAT?

sorkii

HSC
N/A
Yup. It's become increasingly competitive. However, that's not to say you can't compensate in the interview or academic part.

go_cadel

HSC
Use the term median please. It's more accurate. Ie if you consider the average raw, it's probably about 65 (people may get in with raws of like 73 dragging the whole average up). However if you look at raw average percentile, it would probably be about 96. ( ie taking the average or 93, 97 or whatever - some people get in with 80s dragging the average down) but 96 average percentile doesn't equal the 65 average for raw. Using the median is better as median raw equals median percentile, I'd speculate this to be about 64 raw or low 97 percentile.

iStudent

HSC
That is very high.
But then you have to consider that not everyone who scores a beast UMAT gets a beast ATAR and vice versa so if you're getting 97th percentile + 99.6 you should be well above the median...

patpatpat

HSC
I'd estimate the median to be 97-98th percentile. Not to say that you can't get in with less, but you would need a high ATAR and interview.

I didn't meet anyone with a percentile of less than 94.

From the UNSW website, there are 3500 applicants for 150 positions. That's how competitive it is.

bangladesh

HSC
I'd estimate the median to be 97-98th percentile. Not to say that you can't get in with less, but you would need a high ATAR and interview.

I didn't meet anyone with a percentile of less than 94.

From the UNSW website, there are 3500 applicants for 150 positions. That's how competitive it is.
the median is defs nowhere as high as that. I know more than 5 who got in with below 90%ile umat

BlugyBlug

HSC
the median is defs nowhere as high as that. I know more than 5 who got in with below 90%ile umat
What were their ATARs? We're assuming they're non-rural right.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
What were their ATARs? We're assuming they're non-rural right.
You guys have to remember that umat isn't only used by australia and a lot of high scoring applicants are actually from nz trying to get into med programs there so mathematically it wouldn't make much sense if the median was to be as high as 97-98th as they wouldn't even find that many applicants with such high umats putting unsw as their first pref to begin with.

Typically qld kids go for uq, vic kids for monash etc so the competition really is only mostly from nsw kids

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)