Help!!! confused about my career possibilities (1 Viewer)

justmitch

HSC
Hey, I am currently at the very end of my biomedical science degree (one unit to go in tri 1 2015) and find myself unsure of my future. I have applied for medicine and have sat my interviews but if med doesn't happen for me in 2015 I feel like I'm stuck. I plan to use my biomed degree to take me into pathology but is this even possible? I keep reading that to be a pathology assistant it requires 5 years of study, internship and all that which makes me think I can only be a pathology assistant if I have a med degree. Has anyone been in my position before? if you have any knowledge/advice on this topic I would hugely appreciate it. :) thanks

bangladesh

HSC
do honours and re apply for med again if you're really keen

miamiheat

HSC
N/A
do honours and re apply for med again if you're really keen
What is you don't get in med during your honours year and you're still intent on doing med? Can you just keeping taking gamsat? Also are there stats on what % pass gamsat to get the interview?

bangladesh

HSC
What is you don't get in med during your honours year and you're still intent on doing med? Can you just keeping taking gamsat? Also are there stats on what % pass gamsat to get the interview?
yea you can take gamsat infinite times. It really depends but a score of 65+ will give you some hope of getting in somewhere in aus

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
You can be a lab assistant without a medical degree (and by proxy, possibly a pathology assistant?). You need a medical degree to become a straight pathologist; the quickest way to becoming a pathology registrar (pathologist in training) is as you described. What exactly would you want to do in the job?

justmitch

HSC
Thanks for everyone's advice. I received an unbonded Med offer so I guess I can stop stressing for now.

Medman

HSC
yea you can take gamsat infinite times. It really depends but a score of 65+ will give you some hope of getting in somewhere in aus
Congratulations mate!

Had two students with 57 GAMSAT get into Notre Dame this year.

USYD you probably need 67+

Other universities I am not sure what the current GAMSAT requirement is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)