Anyone receive an offer for Griffith med? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
My QTAC application tells me I've received an offer for the Provisional Medical Science program at the Nathan campus (my atar was 99.50). I found this strange as the cut off last year was 99.60. So being a NSW resident, if im not mistaken, I only need to accept this offer and do 2 years of medical science, acheive a GPA of 5.0 and pass the Human Skills test to enter the medicine program?

alficio

HSC
N/A
I think so. Also received an offer with 99.65

iStudent

HSC
Congrats!!! :D

Out of curiosity, are you going back to medicine? :haha:

I didn't receive one since my first preference was UQ med :)

bangthegong

HSC
@emilios if you don't mind me asking, was your first preference nathan or gold coast?

edit: or which was higher preference

cho6092

HSC
Gold Coast has really new facilities, as well as a nice university hospital next to the campus - so should have sufficient opportunities!
The only catch is that, while there is provisional entry to Med at Griffith, the bottom 25% [percentile] of the cohort will have to be bonded (even if they get credits, distinctions, etc)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
My QTAC application tells me I've received an offer for the Provisional Medical Science program at the Nathan campus (my atar was 99.50). I found this strange as the cut off last year was 99.60. So being a NSW resident, if im not mistaken, I only need to accept this offer and do 2 years of medical science, acheive a GPA of 5.0 and pass the Human Skills test to enter the medicine program?
you are not mistaken :) good on u!

bangladesh

HSC
The only catch is that, while there is provisional entry to Med at Griffith, the bottom 25% [percentile] of the cohort will have to be bonded (even if they get credits, distinctions, etc)
THIS. I have heard of people who have done a year at GU and are transferring back into nsw medschools as a non-standard because it's ridiculously competitive to be in the top 75% and get a CSP and not end up with a bonded. So take that into account when accepting your offer as well.

emilios

HSC
Congrats!!! :D

Out of curiosity, are you going back to medicine? :haha:

I didn't receive one since my first preference was UQ med :)
thanks mayne. I had kinda given up on undergrad med after studying my arse off for the UMAT and not getting a mark that was anyone near acceptable. I can understand how fickle I sound but yeah med was always something I wanted to do, I just couldn't get in anywhere really (no interview offers at all).

and dw man, if you don't land an unbonded spot at unsw you're in uws at least for sure. lol moving interstate isnt an easy thing to do

emilios

HSC
@emilios if you don't mind me asking, was your first preference nathan or gold coast?

edit: or which was higher preference
GC was first pref so I missed out on that. Im guessing I just scraped into Nathan campus. So GC cutoff is likely to be 99.6 or 99.65

emilios

HSC
THIS. I have heard of people who have done a year at GU and are transferring back into nsw medschools as a non-standard because it's ridiculously competitive to be in the top 75% and get a CSP and not end up with a bonded. So take that into account when accepting your offer as well.
Hmm ok that is good to know. I would be looking to transfer into a nsw med program anyway cos ill miss my mums cooking.

Beggars cant be choosers though. Bonded sucks but you still get to the same place

bangthegong

HSC
GC was first pref so I missed out on that. Im guessing I just scraped into Nathan campus. So GC cutoff is likely to be 99.6 or 99.65
I got 99.55 and received an offer for GC.
So the cutoff is 99.55, you just missed out man :/

alficio

HSC
N/A
it's ridiculously competitive to be in the top 75% and get a CSP and not end up with a bonded.
Aren't all places CSP?
Also wondering if there are any advantages being in either campus?

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
I got 99.55 and received an offer for GC.
So the cutoff is 99.55, you just missed out man :/
Damnnnn. But hey, still medicine and you're close to the city :D
Also, if med is really what you want to do - accept your offer! You can buy your way out of bonded.

emilios

HSC
Damnnnn. But hey, still medicine and you're close to the city :D
Also, if med is really what you want to do - accept your offer! You can buy your way out of bonded.
Yeah man I accepted it :)

LOL im a glass half full kinda guy. I actually dont mind that I missed out on gc. accommodation and standard of living will be cheaper in brisbane :)

P.S I know its different for all unis, but what is roughly the date by which you must be enrolled in a course? Im overseas and my tfn and birth certificate are all back home and I get back on the 28th

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Aren't all places CSP?
Also wondering if there are any advantages being in either campus?
No. They determine bonded/csp after the two years and the bottom 25% of the cohort are assigned a BMP spot hence why its ridiculously competitive because no one wants to get bonded.

alficio

HSC
N/A
Maybe I'm confused but bonded places are CSP?
ie that both unbonded and bonded places are CSP and not full fee

Last edited:

cho6092

HSC
I'm in a situation whereby I can accept to study Griffith Med in the GC and risk being bonded if I end up being in the bottom 25% of the cohort,
Or apply for 2nd round offers for UQ Med but definitely bonded (my UMAT is good enough for bonded but just missed out on unbonded places)

Which would you guys personally prefer? Taking into account bonded/unbonded, reputation (e.g. if want to go overseas to study), 6 years vs 7 years, facilities/research opportunities
:)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
being bonded honestly isn't *that* much of an issue

if u rly don't wanna stay bonded u can pay off the years of the bond after ur degree, by that time u will be earning enough to the point it isn't rly too much of a hassle

bangladesh

HSC
Maybe I'm confused but bonded places are CSP?
ie that both unbonded and bonded places are CSP and not full fee
yea they're not full fee but i used the term 'csp' as unbonded haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)