Med at different unis and transferring (1 Viewer)

bs101

HSC
Hi, just wanted to clear some stuff up regarding med at different unis and the ease of reapplying between them.

- So as of now, I've received an offer from UQ (provisional entry) but i didn't get an offer from Uni of Adelaide (didn't get an offer in the main round).
On QTAC and the offer letter, it says 'Please note that you need to accept your offer by Thursday 22 January 2015' - however, UAC main round offers come out on the 21st Jan and later rounds obviously come out later. Taking this into account, i was wondering if i could accept UQs offer (assuming i don't get any offers from UAC on the 21st) then accept an offer from UNSW, UWS OR UoN in the later rounds? Would it be possible to do that or somehow delay accepting UQ?

- If i don't get into UNSW med (which is what I'm ultimately aiming for), how easy/hard is it to reapply (i live in nsw btw) to unsw med from UWS, UoN(jmp) and UQ (interstate) after 1 year of study in the course of medicine at said unis?

- Finally, is there a difference between unis for med? particularly UWS, UoN and UQ? I've heard some mixed responses regarding UWS but i'd like to hear more views and opinions on these 3 unis

Thanks in advance and all contributions are appreciated! :D

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
Just accept the offer and when UAC offers come out just tell them you have family, health issues etc. and can no longer attend university in Queensland.

Transferring is difficult from what I've heard as the courses are different. You can't really transfer from UQ as you will be required to study science instead of medicine for the first few years. If you mean reapply then yes you can reapply and start from scratch. My interpretation of transfer is that some credit points will be carried over allowing you to bypass some aspects of the course. Reapply means you will be competing with school leavers and other non standards which means you are not guaranteed a place.

Medicine is medicine. I hate Asians especially parents giving more priority to more prestigious universities for medicine. It's almost asking someone their ATAR once they are in university. WHO THE HELL CARES. IF YOU WANT TO GET AHEAD IN MEDICINE YOU SHOULD BE DOING MASTERS, PHD, RESEARCH DURING YOUR MEDICAL STUDENT YEARS!

Last edited:
HSC
Sorry I actually don't know the answer to your question
but omg congrats :D
I would have loved to get an offer from UQ
still hopeful for Feb rounds on QTAC, though I doubt many people are going to decline a med offer

If you dont mind me asking
what was your UMAT score?

Xt

HSC
N/A
1. You can accept an offer from UQ and if you receive an offer through UAC, you can accept that too. Then you will have to contact UQ and tell them you are dropping out.

2. If you complete first year of the combined medicine at UQ and still wish to transfer to UNSW, UWS, UoN, you just need to redo UMAT and apply through UAC and complete the direct applications (i.e. completely the same as how you have applied this year).

Only difference is UWS and UoN will look at your GPA (about a credit threshold) and for UNSW, the higher your GPA the better (UNSW take 50:50 GPA and ATAR). However, I have heard a GPA of 7 (the max) is equivalent to an ATAR of 99 so if you scored higher than 99 this year, it will mean you'll have a lower 'ATAR' for application next year.

In terms of competitiveness - it'll be the same.

3. When you graduate, there will be no difference between a UNSW grad, a UniMelb grad, a UQ grad, a UoN grad, etc. All medical degrees essentially cover the same things.

go_cadel

HSC
Only difference is UWS and UoN will look at your GPA (about a credit threshold) and for UNSW, the higher your GPA the better (UNSW take 50:50 GPA and ATAR). However, I have heard a GPA of 7 (the max) is equivalent to an ATAR of 99 so if you scored higher than 99 this year, it will mean you'll have a lower 'ATAR' for application next year.
no, gpa 7 = 99.95, and gap 6.5 = 99, so you can still improve

Xt

HSC
N/A
Oh okay - I've actually always wondered. Is this for UAC only? Because for QTAC, a GPA of 7 is only worth an ATAR of 99.

go_cadel

HSC
Oh okay - I've actually always wondered. Is this for UAC only? Because for QTAC, a GPA of 7 is only worth an ATAR of 99.
i think it might be because an atar of 99 gives you an OP1, which is the highest ranking you can get in qtac.

BlugyBlug

HSC
How do you know this? I've been wondering for a while. I think I have 7 GPA (unsw uses wam system) but I can definitely say that it is much less impressive than 99.95 ATAR.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)