Pathway into medicine from UTS LAW (1 Viewer)

asdwasdw

HSC
I would like to know if it is possible to transfer into medicine after 1 year of UTS law via sitting the UMAT etc or would i have to try to get into post graduate medicine through doing the GAMSAT and all the interviews required.

Any advice on what i should do? Should i try to pick up science subjects?

nearlythere2000

HSC
N/A
I think there is a misconception with the word 'transfer' - transferring actually means you can move over results from your law subjects at UTS and make them useable to graduate from your medicine degree at a different university. This is not the case for medicine, as obviously it has very different requirements to other degrees (that being said, if you were to go medicine at UNSW, you need to do 12 UoC (essentially, two courses) of General Education courses and you COULD use your law credits from UTS, but I'm not 100% how that works and you should enquire about this if you do get in).

That aside, of course you can REAPPLY again as a first year undergraduate even after a year at UTS. You will need to sit the UMAT again and apply for universities via UAC. You can also reapply as a first year undergraduate for medicine regardless of how many years of university you have done - as long as you apply through UAC and re-sit the UMAT.
You can do the GAMSAT on the second last year of your undergraduate degree (e.g. second year of commerce).

I would suggest sitting for the UMAT this year and reapplying for undergraduate medicine and seeing how you go. Personally, I don't think it matters if you pick science subjects or not, as if you get in they will teach everyone from foundations anyway. That being said, I have done the UMAT three times before actually getting a good result (2012 - 83, 2013 - 83, 2014 - 99), and I HIGHLY attribute this to doing medical science courses at UNSW. I was exposed to a lot of scientific literature and learnt how to critically analyse and understand large amounts of information, so my section 1 improved dramatically. That's just my personal experience :)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
(2012 - 83, 2013 - 83, 2014 - 99)

That's beast! Congrats.

OP:
You can apply for med (or anything you want) from any degree.
Just do the UMAT again because compared to GAMSAT it requires little to no effort (also has to do with luck).
I thought the skills picked up from my law degree helped HEAPS during S1 which saved my umat - i.e. logical reasoning. I had no idea about section 3 but my mate who had made a list of different combinations etc etc smassssheedddd it so you can definitely improve on that if you want.

Ethicks

HSC
Just thought I would chime in here, If applying for undergrad medicine at UNSW after a year of another degree and sitting the UMAT is it calculated on ATAR + UMAT OR GPA + UMAT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)