Griffith Med? (1 Viewer)

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Hey all

I've been accepted to griffith uni (BMedSc, provisional MD)
There's a few things I want to ask

I've heard people that have said the the shitter ranked people get bonded places in rural areas???
Is that true. And shitter ranks in the BMedSc or the MD course?
What GPA should I be aiming for (I got a scholarship that asks for minimum of GPA 5.5+ avg anyway)

Secondly, is it hard to transfer from BMedSc @ Griffith to MD @UNSW
Should I wait until I'm doing MD @ Griffith to transfer to UNSW?
I reside in NSW so I'd rather live there...
That means I'll be doing the UMAT every year, etc? What GPA do I need to be competitive?

Thanks for your help.

nearlythere2000

HSC
N/A
I can't answer your first point, so I'll leave that for someone else :)

I just posted this on another thread, but be careful with how you use the word 'transfer'. Transfer means you are able to transfer your results from Griffith and make them contribute to your graduation at UNSW. By that definition, no, you won't be able to transfer. You would have to reapply as a first year through UAC and sit the UMAT again. If you were to wait till you finished your medical science degree and started your MD at Griffith, then it would be fruitless to apply for UNSW - this is because you would be reapplying to do ANOTHER undergraduate degree - and you should probably just sit the GAMSAT and apply for postgraduate medicine in NSW.
So, yes. If you wanted to attend UNSW instead you would have to do the UMAT this year, and put your preferences through UAC.

A competitive GPA is very hard to say. From personal experience, my WAM in first year was 90.75 (GPA = 7.0) and this only correlated to a ~99 ATAR. This would be averaged with your 2014 ATAR, and then used to compete with 2015 HSC students. That being said, I know of Griffith kids reapplying and getting into first year UNSW medicine, but I speculate their UMAT would have to be amazing to make up for the difficulty in competing with HSC ATARs.

Medman

HSC
Bonded doesn't equate to rural. Bonded means at least working in an area of workforce shortage.

New info from this year suggests a GPA of 7 is now counted as 99.5 ATAR which is better but they half your ATAR and your GPA conversion. This is for UNSW but most other unis have lower GPA requirements.

It's not impossible to transfer but it is nearly impossible to transfer from one med degree to another.

You can always reapply and resit the UMAT etc. as above has mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)