Bond University (1 Viewer)

way

HSC
Hi there,
So I received an interview offer for Bond B. Med/Surgery. As you know its about 350K however you only get 125K from Fee Help. I am middle class. My family earns about 80K per annum. I saved up 7K from working nonstop in my 4 month holiday to pay for Optometry in another UNI but looks like BOND is too far off from my savings. We have 2 mortgages with atleast 300-400K in debt. What do you guys think? Also for Bond Interview what is it like? As in the difficulty? Serious opinions only Please.

Last edited:

MiseryParade

HSC
No idea what Bond interviews are like, but I personally wouldn't take Bond, even if I were offered a place. I don't like the sound of being in 350k debt, even if Bond med is shorter than other unis (I think?) - besides, I'd want to do med in my home state if possible. If FEE-HELP doesn't cover the entire tuition (sounds like it only covers 125k out of 350k?) and your family won't be able to afford it easily, I think it's a no brainer to not take Bond med.

Might not be such a bad idea to do the interview anyway, just to get some interview experiences in preparation for other interviews (assuming you're gonna try for med again).

Reactions: way

Dupain

HSC
Why would you want to go to a University named after a convicted criminal?

Most who go there were rich private school kids who failed to get into a public University. So the quality of the cohort is very poor.

You are not even assured of an intern position to be fully registered.

If you are spending that amount of money, go to a US University, John Hopkins etc.

Medman

HSC
Interview includes personal, scenario and role play questions. Intern position isn't hard to get if you want to go rural. You can get loans to do the course but there will be interest on them.

patpatpat

HSC
Don't do it.

Keep trying for a CSP spot.

If you can't get one in the next couple of years, then Bond.

[Edit]

To explain why - taking a massive financial commitment to study medicine is a bad idea unless you are absolutely set on being a doctor. If you change your mind after a couple of years of study, or after a couple of years of practice, then you are still stuck with a huge debt. You're also restricted in what you can do (can't easily go overseas for a few months if you're paying off a huge loan). Compared to CSP where the cost is less and the loan more flexible.

Plus you've only just graduated. Plenty of time to keep trying. Keep fee paying options last.

Also Bond is one of only a couple of universities where students are judged in the profession before they are met.

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would you want to go to a University named after a convicted criminal?

Most who go there were rich private school kids who failed to get into a public University. So the quality of the cohort is very poor.

You are not even assured of an intern position to be fully registered.

If you are spending that amount of money, go to a US University, John Hopkins etc.
I'd ignore this post. Bond graduates are fine, I work with them and they're just like everyone else.

way

HSC
No idea what Bond interviews are like, but I personally wouldn't take Bond, even if I were offered a place. I don't like the sound of being in 350k debt, even if Bond med is shorter than other unis (I think?) - besides, I'd want to do med in my home state if possible. If FEE-HELP doesn't cover the entire tuition (sounds like it only covers 125k out of 350k?) and your family won't be able to afford it easily, I think it's a no brainer to not take Bond med.

Might not be such a bad idea to do the interview anyway, just to get some interview experiences in preparation for other interviews (assuming you're gonna try for med again).
I mean, I really want to get into med and "its not certain that I will always make it the next few years".
Its surprising because my parents said the above statement and I always get stuff on why I am not responsible enough and not thinking about the financial debt that I will get. Further the fact is that would I waste 2 years now? or work in residence for two years to get 250K for those years and repay debt? You see its not only about me. Its also about the family income and I am quite useless on that aspect since I worked 4 months and only got like 7K.

Medman

HSC
If you're thinking of return on investment Medicine is decent and stable. You will be able to pay back the loan if you work in medicine no doubt although you will be less financially secure than a CSP student.

My suggestion is Start tech company. Profit.

Ethicks

HSC
You're paying your fees upfront? #why

As Bill Gates said, Invest in your education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)