Warning to anyone doing Medical Science or planning to (1 Viewer)

Ethicks

HSC
I just thought I would make this thread as I've not seen anyone mention it and this is something that should impact on where you decide to do your medical science degree.

People who graduate from medical science can go into research but most people will get a scientist job in a Pathology lab (or similar) whilst not all employers are 'picky' some private and public laboratories will be looking for applicants who have AIMS (Australian Institute of Medical Science) accredited degrees. In Sydney, UTS is the only university who has this accreditation attached to their Biomedical Science/B Science (Biomedical science) degrees assuming you take the correct pathway.

It is beyond me why UNSW/USYD who have this high reputation are not accredited with their Medical Science degrees this was the only reason I chose UTS over UNSW or USYD.

I worked in a laboratory with someone who had graduated from Medical Science at ANU but because the degree was not accredited she could not apply for a higher position. Not all companies require this but you should think very seriously about where you do your medical science degree, taking the accredited option seems like a no brainer.

You can find accredited institutions listed here http://www.aims.org.au/services/undergraduate-courses

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)