Pathway to med? (1 Viewer)

Minose

HSC
Hi,

I thought I would register on these forums and see if you
guys can help me since I am struggling to find the answers I need.

I am currently 25 years of age and studying a bachelor of physiotherapy
at UWS in second year. Before this I was a carpenter for 6 years, got
sick of it and decided to study. My UAI (atar equivalent) was very low.

I have been thinking about medicine recently, and have tried to start researching
pathways, however it is so difficult to find what I need. My question is what are my
Options for medicine, considering my UAI is really out of the question. Am I even eligible
For medicine even if I achieve a high gpa?
Am I better off opting for the UMAT or GAMSAT? Am I better off finishing my degree,
and going for the GAMSAT? I think I would be willing to defer physio if there was
an opportunity in med for me.

Also I would be leaning towards general practitioner, and have heard recently that job
Prospects and salary will be decreasing. How bad will it get etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
A high GPA is considered yes. UMAT and GAMSAT are both viable options for you however if you wish to complete your degree then I would suggest GAMSAT.

You would need to sit either exam, have a relatively high GPA (distinction) and apply through UAC.

Interviews will then be offered and if you pass that you're in.

Minose

HSC
I see, thanks for reply.
if I wanted to do the UMAT and start undergrad med my options are UNSW and UWS as I am in nsw correct?
I have emailed UNSW and they always take into account atar, so that would rule them out. Am unsure of UWS undergrad admission requirements however.
If that is correct then perhaps best option would be post grad with the GAMSAT?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yeah unfortunately unsw takes atar into account. Your options remain (if you want to stay in nsw) at UWS and UNCLE. Both these universities take gpa into account and not atar. If you are willing to travel interstate, then you have the options of JCU and UTAS as well as Griffith if I'm not mistaken...

JCU is easier for some as it does not take into account umat and solely is based on your application,minter view and GPA

ElleWhy

HSC
Yeah unfortunately unsw takes atar into account. Your options remain (if you want to stay in nsw) at UWS and UNCLE. Both these universities take gpa into account and not atar. If you are willing to travel interstate, then you have the options of JCU and UTAS as well as Griffith if I'm not mistaken...

JCU is easier for some as it does not take into account umat and solely is based on your application,minter view and GPA
You need GAMSAT for Griffith. It's only their dent program which doesn't.

redjnr

HSC
TRY the UMAT this year and see how you go, the results will come out before universities have their application deadlines. If you do well and make up your mind that you want to do medicine, you won't have to wait until you graduate for the GAMSAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)