Volunteering and Overseas Work (1 Viewer)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Just wondering if any medical students, doctors or anyone else has had any experiences with NGOs and humanitarian organisations, especially overseas.

What was your position? How long was it for? What was the experience like? What was the application process like for you?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Did a placement as part of a mandatory medical elective so I had a placement in an overseas hospital as a medical student for probably the best 5 weeks I've ever had. The process was relatively simple, I applied, filled in a bunch of paperwork and off we went.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Did a placement as part of a mandatory medical elective so I had a placement in an overseas hospital as a medical student for probably the best 5 weeks I've ever had. The process was relatively simple, I applied, filled in a bunch of paperwork and off we went.
Thanks for your reply. What country did you go to? Were you involved with an NGO or a medical relief program?
I have studied in Ireland for six weeks as part of a similar mandatory elective under my university, but it was fairly routine and involved a direct application to the receiving hospital. I have had no volunteer experience in medical relief, however, which is what I am interested to know about.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Not a medical student but oh well :)

I went to cambodia for 2 months with an NGO in december/january.
My position was a volunteer Occupational Therapist, I worked in an orphanage for children with disabilities (mostly things like autism, developmental delay, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, amputations and sensory processing disorder). Did some OT stuff as well as some behavioural interventions on the children there (I've done a type of behavioural therapy before). As well as helping the kids, I was helping the staff (in conjunction with volunteer physios) learn safe feeding techniques, communication techniques (as the majority of them were non verbal) as well as working on a few other side projects.

I loved the experience! I had so much fun at the organisation, I'm still doing some work for the orphanage on some other projects. For me what the NGO did, was set me up with the orphanage, provide food and accommodation as well as provide help when needed :)
The application process was pretty easy, just make sure you do a lot of research because there are a lot of 'fake'/shit NGO's out there.
Also make sure that if you go straight to the source. i.e. don't go through some American/Australian NGO that will refer you to some other NGO that will refer you onto some other NGO, because you'll end up having to pay them all money. I met people who were paying over 5 times what I was paying.

You also need to remember that you're not gonna change the world or anything, but you can make a small difference :p

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for your reply. What country did you go to? Were you involved with an NGO or a medical relief program?
I have studied in Ireland for six weeks as part of a similar mandatory elective under my university, but it was fairly routine and involved a direct application to the receiving hospital. I have had no volunteer experience in medical relief, however, which is what I am interested to know about.
I went to South Africa with a NGO.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Not a medical student but oh well :)

I went to cambodia for 2 months with an NGO in december/january.
My position was a volunteer Occupational Therapist, I worked in an orphanage for children with disabilities (mostly things like autism, developmental delay, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, amputations and sensory processing disorder). Did some OT stuff as well as some behavioural interventions on the children there (I've done a type of behavioural therapy before). As well as helping the kids, I was helping the staff (in conjunction with volunteer physios) learn safe feeding techniques, communication techniques (as the majority of them were non verbal) as well as working on a few other side projects.

I loved the experience! I had so much fun at the organisation, I'm still doing some work for the orphanage on some other projects. For me what the NGO did, was set me up with the orphanage, provide food and accommodation as well as provide help when needed :)
The application process was pretty easy, just make sure you do a lot of research because there are a lot of 'fake'/shit NGO's out there.
Also make sure that if you go straight to the source. i.e. don't go through some American/Australian NGO that will refer you to some other NGO that will refer you onto some other NGO, because you'll end up having to pay them all money. I met people who were paying over 5 times what I was paying.

You also need to remember that you're not gonna change the world or anything, but you can make a small difference :p
Thanks madharris. Non-medical replies, even involvement with logistics..etc. are welcome. Would you consider this on a regular basis or on a professional basis? How was 2 months in length? Too short or adequate time for the care involved? Is the NGO perennially involved--ie rotating roster of OTs--or do they rely on local health services for continuity?

Havox said:
I went to South Africa with a NGO.
Great--what activities were you involved in? Was the NGO there for a particular purpose? Do you have plans or would you consider it in the future?

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Great--what activities were you involved in? Was the NGO there for a particular purpose? Do you have plans or would you consider it in the future?
Uh...Being a medical student? The NGO does quite a lot of things including local farming projects, education and running workshops for locals to name a few. I can't go on another medical elective as a doctor now but as a student we were only given a single period of time to go. If I had the chance I'd do it twice.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Thanks madharris. Non-medical replies, even involvement with logistics..etc. are welcome. Would you consider this on a regular basis or on a professional basis? How was 2 months in length? Too short or adequate time for the care involved? Is the NGO perennially involved--ie rotating roster of OTs--or do they rely on local health services for continuity?
I probably wouldn't do it regularly just because I wouldn't have enough money to stay there (since I'm volunteering and would have no income) but i'd definitely want to go again.
Professionally, do you mean working in a developing country? Because that really depends on the person, if they're ready for a change not only in their work but their life style too. 2 months was good I thought, I probably could've gone for about 6 months but again, it really depends on person to person. I had 3 friends with me (doing different projects at different sites) but they all thought that 2 months was either too long or a perfect amount of time.

Since it's an orphanage, and disabilities are frowned upon in cambodia, they only health staff they had was 1 doctor, 1 training doctor (who was previously an orphan there) and a physio as they weren't able to afford too many more staff other than carers. They relied heavily on volunteers studying/working in a health profession as well as volunteer carers as the staff there are really over worked. There was another volunteer professional OT there (he did a hand over as he left 2 weeks after I started), 3 volunteer student physios and 1 voluntter professional speechy there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)