Life of a med student (1 Viewer)

Killua101

HSC
To the people doing med in any uni,
What i want to know is how is the course of medicine for you guys, like is it tiring everyday doing constant study, do u get more social time than the HSC or it is the same. On a daily basis, how many hours do u have to study, do u get free time for social stuff. Another thing, how many times do u go to uni and how to u compare uni with HSC life.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but i really want to get into med and idm the hectic study life but will it be the same in uni or less stressful and just more challenging. Also, what are some experiences that u would tell a person going into med.
AND one more thing, what books (other than past papers) would u recommend for someone doing the UMAT.

THANKSSSS

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Medman, Kiraken, iStudent, Amirbang and many more...

iStudent

HSC
Haha, I'll try to lessen your fears. Medicine is definitely not *tiring* and you're definitely not studying 24/7. I'd say it's about the same as other courses if not less. Just as a note - we're like the only course that boasts 95% pass rate. And this isn't because we're super smart or anything, but because they design the course so that it's really easy to pass - e.g. MCQ exams, practical exams on handwashing - (lol??).

I study around 15 hours over the whole week (mostly during weekends). Quite a bit of lectures though - 25ish hours worth over the whole week but that's not much compared to high school.

Uni is meant to be the time where you have more social life and you're in control of what you want to do. It's mostly how much you want to get out of it, but really in the end - you only need to pass (for med at least) and this means you don't have to master the content (unlike the HSC). Probably know 60% of the content and you're set.

I'd imagine it's the same in other unis. (Maybe others can enlighten their med life?)

Don't have any books to recommend since I didn't use any myself - sorry!

Yea I thought I'd have a "hectic" study life at first too. But oh how I was wrong and how the 2nd years have told me that you really don't have to try hard...

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Tbh pre-clinical years are a lot easier imo, depending on ur course and rotation, clinical years can be quite demanding

For example you can be doing 40 hour weeks at hospital (maybe even more) and then come home and study for exams/assessments/tutorials

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
And a balanced lifestyle is not only possible but highly recommended.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
YAY :D

I'm honestly pumped for it though, straight up theoretical content gets a little dry after a while, I like seeing real patients
100%, so long as ur proactive and keen u can have a real blast, clinical years are what u make of it with a dash of luck involved when it comes to the doctors who are on ur team and how active they are in teaching u

Medman

HSC
Passing medicine isn't hard. Doing well in medicine can be. I didn't study much in med school but I have never failed anything in med school I think that tells you how hard medicine is. If you want to do well that's another story as there are many talented people in medicine and it's not easy to compete compared to competition at the HSC level.

I actually enjoy work more. I prefer putting into practice and learning as I go vs studying a textbook all day. This may be different for others but studying is not a forte of mine if I don't see the application of what I'm studying for.

rafall

HSC
N/A
Hello guys,
So if someone doing sciences at school and got an ATAR within 90-95, would they be able to survive med? (assuming someone did UMAT and transferred into med through medical science after one year) I mean would it be harder for them than those who got 99 ATAR. Because most of you said above its not hard to pass medicine if you study but not sure if that include the people who didn't get a 99 ATAR.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Hello guys,
So if someone doing sciences at school and got an ATAR within 90-95, would they be able to survive med? (assuming someone did UMAT and transferred into med through medical science after one year) I mean would it be harder for them than those who got 99 ATAR. Because most of you said above its not hard to pass medicine if you study but not sure if that include the people who didn't get a 99 ATAR.
Yes, doing sciences and getting that ATAR does give enough information to deduce a person's intellect.

teridax

HSC
N/A
i'm saying that your ATAR isn't really the best measurement of intellect, imo. like maybe on a small level it tests intellect, but that pales in comparison to hard work and solid exam preparation

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
i'm saying that your ATAR isn't really the best measurement of intellect, imo. like maybe on a small level it tests intellect, but that pales in comparison to hard work and solid exam preparation
yeah that's what I meant. I forgot to put "does not"

srs

Flop21

HSC
not necessarily true lol
But I think it shows they're doing SOMETHING right. Doing the HSC now makes me respect those who have got above 90 ATARs, even 80+. I go to a totally awfully ranked school, so maybe it's different at other schools, but wow they must work hard to achieve a good ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)