Help! Life-changing university decision... (1 Viewer)

BenSmithy

HSC
I'm going to uni next year, and originally, I wanted to get into data science or analytics, so my plan was to do Maths&Stats for undergrad then a Masters in Data Science (or maybe Statistics). The problem is, I'm really worried about the job prospects for data scientists (especially in a small city like Perth). I would even consider trying for a quant position, but again barely any jobs for this in Perth (also, wouldn't I need a finance degree to work in banking...?)

So suddenly I've been seriously looking into studying medicine in the hope of becoming a doctor, surgeon or other medical professional.
My main motivations for studying med would be:

1. The money
2. The prestige/fame
3. The very good job security (i.e. Great job prospects in pretty much any city in the world)

Are these good reasons to study medicine, or should I stick to my original plan? If the latter, how could I manage to get good jobs and salaries in data science/analytics (which I think would be especially difficult in small cities).

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
While these are elements that do drive a lot of individuals that are keen to do medicine as a career, without some degree of altruism (quite minimal in some of the individuals I study with)... I don't think you'll get very far.

It's 6 years min in uni (for MBBS / BMed+MD)
1 year residency
+ a load of other stuff
http://imgur.com/a/7WIwU

they say doctors peak mid 40's... have fun with that.

You'd easily make that money in a different career (perhaps late careers doctors do tend to earn a lot more).

besides, do you have the grades to make such a change?

I'm not trying to be condescending but I think you're quite naive in your views. The interview step is designed to attempt to minimise students that prioritise those 3 motivations as their top motivations.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Dude Data Science is the best. Hands On. Learn to model, learn to code, learn to use Excel, do good in Uni, you're set.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
If money and attention are your main motivators for wanting to study medicine, then I'd advise that you re-consider. These reasons aren't specific enough and lack depth, and it doesn't seem that YOU are drawn to medicine at it's core. There are other ways to satisfy that criterion you have, why specifically medicine? Furthermore, asking if these are good reasons is another red flag. As pheelx3 alluded, going into medicine without selflessness as your first priority will probably lead you into a dead end.

You'll need to do some more research, but data science is growing. Not a lot of people are proficient in both mathematics and programming.

Look, you must assess your decision carefully. Check if your decision is influenced by family/peer guidance. Usually, they want you to get into a lucrative field to have financial stability, etc, but in most cases (I believe), people end up miserable and not being fulfilled/happy, thus leading to a career change.

There's a hidden force in us that guides us to our purpose in life, and of course, there are counter-forces (like above), that steer us out of our purpose in life. You'll know you're going in the right direction when something sparks that child-like curiosity and you notice a significant boost in pace of learning this thing and the depth you're learning it at.

BenSmithy

HSC
Dude Data Science is the best. Hands On. Learn to model, learn to code, learn to use Excel, do good in Uni, you're set.
Are you in the data science field yourself?

Also, I've been running searches on seek and can barely find any data science jobs for the smaller cities (only 3-4 in Adelaide/Perth), so thats why I'm unsure about whether I'll be "set".

BenSmithy

HSC
If money and attention are your main motivators for wanting to study medicine, then I'd advise that you re-consider. These reasons aren't specific enough and lack depth, and it doesn't seem that YOU are drawn to medicine at it's core. There are other ways to satisfy that criterion you have, why specifically medicine? Furthermore, asking if these are good reasons is another red flag. As pheelx3 alluded, going into medicine without selflessness as your first priority will probably lead you into a dead end.

You'll need to do some more research, but data science is growing. Not a lot of people are proficient in both mathematics and programming.

Look, you must assess your decision carefully. Check if your decision is influenced by family/peer guidance. Usually, they want you to get into a lucrative field to have financial stability, etc, but in most cases (I believe), people end up miserable and not being fulfilled/happy, thus leading to a career change.

There's a hidden force in us that guides us to our purpose in life, and of course, there are counter-forces (like above), that steer us out of our purpose in life. You'll know you're going in the right direction when something sparks that child-like curiosity and you notice a significant boost in pace of learning this thing and the depth you're learning it at.
Thanks for the informative reply. I really understand what you're talking about in your last paragraph. I really enjoy doing maths and data sciencey stuff, and am quite happy to spend a few hours learning it each day (thats that "spark" that you were talking about). However, its always hard to turn your back on job security and weakth in such an uncertain and volatile world. You see young people without jobs all around you, and its hard to turn your back on medicine (especially when I've achieved quite close to a max 99.95 ATAR).

si2136

HSC
N/A
Are you in the data science field yourself?

Also, I've been running searches on seek and can barely find any data science jobs for the smaller cities (only 3-4 in Adelaide/Perth), so thats why I'm unsure about whether I'll be "set".
I'll admit it, in the smaller cities, there could be a less demand and supply of FinTech jobs available. However, by the time you're up to your penultimate year, you'll definitely be able to find a job. TRUST me, Computer Science and Statistics/Fin. Maths will guarantee you success. Technology is starting to boom, look at the statistics, there will be more jobs available around Australia. I've talked to plenty of recruiters and they've all said that Coding and Maths are both important skills that the recruiter looks for, to be able to make finanical models (Python/MATLAB), to be able to graph and set out data using programs (Excel,MYOB) and to use the mathematical problem solving skills which you have learnt during University to do your job.

BenSmithy

HSC
I'll admit it, in the smaller cities, there could be a less demand and supply of FinTech jobs available. However, by the time you're up to your penultimate year, you'll definitely be able to find a job. TRUST me, Computer Science and Statistics/Fin. Maths will guarantee you success. Technology is starting to boom, look at the statistics, there will be more jobs available around Australia. I've talked to plenty of recruiters and they've all said that Coding and Maths are both important skills that the recruiter looks for, to be able to make finanical models (Python/MATLAB), to be able to graph and set out data using programs (Excel,MYOB) and to use the mathematical problem solving skills which you have learnt during University to do your job.
So with a Math&Stat major, which would be better as a second major: Computer Science or Finance or Economics?

Simorgh

HSC
So suddenly I've been seriously looking into studying medicine in the hope of becoming a doctor, surgeon or other medical professional.

My main motivations for studying med would be:

1. The money
2. The prestige/fame

3. The very good job security (i.e. Great job prospects in pretty much any city in the world)

Are these good reasons to study medicine, or should I stick to my original plan? If the latter, how could I manage to get good jobs and salaries in data science/analytics (which I think would be especially difficult in small cities).
No wonder there is an over saturation of people applying for Medicine.. Prestige and money should be at the bottom of your pecking order for something like Medicine.

You should have a genuine motivation to help and care for the young, mothers and elderly and communicating well with others like the patients foremost, as well as other doctors. Also having a deep interest in infections and illnesses, and how to overcome and cure these problems. You should be mentally ready to witness/experience grief and sorrow and further correspond that in an acceptable heart-warming manner to your patients.

We need genuine Doctors out there and not people in it for just the money and status. As a patient I should trust that you as a doctor will be able to patiently relate to my emotions and the pitfalls in my life, no matter how long it takes. Everynow and then I see Doctors that are blatantly rude and selfish and are not genuinely concerned about the patient and those suffering.

Money/reputation is all one cares about in Western nations such as ours. Why should a person's life be of less value than money? I would like to see these doctors go out of their urban/city clinics and go to rural areas and witness the differences in health care being offered to groups like Aborginals who have a much lower life expectancy than the average Australian in coastal cities. Most will not and will continue to live their materialistic and lavish lives.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
So with a Math&Stat major, which would be better as a second major: Computer Science or Finance or Economics?
Your choice, whatever you are interested in. I personally would do Finance, but Comp. Sci. would be more suitable for job you're seeking for. Don't chase after the money (IB), because 99% of the time, the market will be saturated, so find a niche area.

BenSmithy

HSC

I understand what you're saying, but there's lots of pressure to make the most of the "incredible opportunity and talent I have" (i.e. Getting a 99.90 ATAR). Not a day goes by without someone asking what I'm going to be doing (and I reply with maths) and their jaw drops and they exclaim "DO MEDICINE! DO DENTISTRY! BECOME A SURGEON! Anything medically related dammit! You should make the most of the tremendous opportunity you have."

All my family+friends (they aren't asian btw) hold the mentality that "if you can do medicine and get high marks, then DO IT". They see it as a privilege to study something that leads to a high paying and secure career, and would look down upon a maths degree as a waste of talent and hard work and label it as a blown opportunity that most people dont ever get in their lives.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I understand what you're saying, but there's lots of pressure to make the most of the "incredible opportunity and talent I have" (i.e. Getting a 99.90 ATAR). Not a day goes by without someone asking what I'm going to be doing (and I reply with maths) and their jaw drops and they exclaim "DO MEDICINE! DO DENTISTRY! BECOME A SURGEON! Anything medically related dammit! You should make the most of the tremendous opportunity you have."

All my family+friends (they aren't asian btw) hold the mentality that "if you can do medicine and get high marks, then DO IT". They see it as a privilege to study something that leads to a high paying and secure career, and would look down upon a maths degree as a waste of talent and hard work and label it as a blown opportunity that most people dont ever get in their lives.
someone might want that spot more than u and might not get it even tho u want it half-assed

just sayin

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A

It all comes down to what you want and how committed you are for it. You have an opportunity to get into the medical field and people are encouraging you but how do they know you are inherently altruistic, have a strong interest in the medical field, etc. i.e. how do they know you are suited for medicine?

Question: are you willing to do something that you dislike to receive good pay and job security?

I had to make a similar decision to you as well and I decided against medicine. Although I enjoyed helping people in any way, using deduction to solve health issues and readily applying medical knowledge in everyday life, I don't think I could handle the process of rote learning forced by the university.

Confound

HSC
Tbh banking or consulting is deemed more prestigious than medicine. I don't know anyone who really cares about med or care about people who do med. It's like cool story lol

Last edited:

Jakulore

HSC

ATAR wise you have the "talent and opportunity" to get into medicine, but in my opinion, based on your mindset, you do not have the talent to necessarily succeed in medicine. Medicine will be an incredibly tough degree, and they have an interview stage in your application for a reason (to separate those with altruistic motives and those with self-serving motives). If you are not motivated to do medicine by anything other than money, fame and glory then you are probably not going to find yourself particularly motivated or successful. As such, if this is the case, then by doing medicine you are already wasting your "talent and opportunity" if you are unable to commit, and thus, unable to succeed.

The bottom line is, degrees/careers such as medicine require you to really, really want to do it, at least that is how I see it. Since you are uncertain if you even want to do it, and have rather lackluster motivations, I can't see this being something that would be suitable for you. You did get a very high ATAR, but if this was applied to your Math/Sci degree, wouldn't this mean that you would probably be at the top of the pack in your degree with a higher level of employability?

Anyways, whatever you choose I do hope that you are able to succeed! Good luck! :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh banking or consulting is deemed more prestigious than medicine. I don't know anyone who really cares about med or care about people who do med. It's like cool story lol
yeah, only old people and people studying med care that you're a doctor

Or like
If someone is dying on a plane

So like
In 10 years time only people on planes will like you.

You did get a very high ATAR, but if this was applied to your Math/Sci degree, wouldn't this mean that you would probably be at the top of the pack in your degree with a higher level of employability?

Anyways, whatever you choose I do hope that you are able to succeed! Good luck! :)
!!!!

Will also mean that the academics at uni give you more opportunities for resume-boosting/research/extra learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)