Where do I stand with my UMAT percentile compared to MedEntry scores? (1 Viewer)

Shebangarang

HSC
So I've been doing lots of medentry past papers circa 2008/9 that I got from a family friend and I'm consistently getting around 75% in each section e.g. S1: 34/44, S2: 26/36, S3: 22/30
I've heard MedEntry exams are a bit harder than the actual UMAT and since I'm not actually signed up for the legit MedEntry I have NO idea what percentile I'm looking at... Does anyone here have any experience with MedEntry scores vs UMAT scores and percentiles???

I read in an article that a raw mark above 63/100 is around 90th percentile... is that true ? (the article: http://www.icanmed.com.au/blog/326293/how-do-the-most-successful-students-study-for-umat)

Thank you in advance x

aoc

HSC
since recent umat has changed quite a bit i found that medentry tests last year were not harder than the actual umat but rather it was of a similar or slightly less level (this is however a personal opinion). You should add 8-10 to your medentry percentile from what ive heard as the people who purchase medentry are going to be more competitve in general than the whole cohort sitting the umat. i scored 70-80th percentile in my medentry tests and got 87th percentile in real umat

Shebangarang

HSC
since recent umat has changed quite a bit i found that medentry tests last year were not harder than the actual umat but rather it was of a similar or slightly less level (this is however a personal opinion). You should add 8-10 to your medentry percentile from what ive heard as the people who purchase medentry are going to be more competitve in general than the whole cohort sitting the umat. i scored 70-80th percentile in my medentry tests and got 87th percentile in real umat
I actually don't have anyway of knowing my percentiles since i only have copies of the tests and no enrollment in medentry. Do you know what marks you got for that percentile?? :\\

aoc

HSC
for medentry i think i usually did terrible in section 1, maybe high 20 or low 30 out of 42 for the emotions part and cant remember for section 3. In real UMAT i got 55 for sec 1 , 61 sec 2, 60 sec 3 not sure what percentile it equates to

sn1p

HSC
So I've been doing lots of medentry past papers circa 2008/9 that I got from a family friend and I'm consistently getting around 75% in each section e.g. S1: 34/44, S2: 26/36, S3: 22/30
I've heard MedEntry exams are a bit harder than the actual UMAT and since I'm not actually signed up for the legit MedEntry I have NO idea what percentile I'm looking at... Does anyone here have any experience with MedEntry scores vs UMAT scores and percentiles???

I read in an article that a raw mark above 63/100 is around 90th percentile... is that true ? (the article: http://www.icanmed.com.au/blog/326293/how-do-the-most-successful-students-study-for-umat)

Thank you in advance x
Not sure if anyone can really give you a good estimate because MedEntry has also adapted and changed the difficulties of its exams since 5-10 years ago. I had some exams circa 2006 and they were much, much easier than the actual UMAT. There's really not much use trying to estimate your real percentile from your MedEntry percentiles because even that swings pretty drastically sometimes (admittedly this is based on anecdotal evidence).

A1P

HSC
How laughable a guy who is supposed to advise/tutor on UMAT yet himself got a simple calculation wrong.

While it is approximately true that 63/100 is 90%ile, 49/100 is 50%ile, and each question is worth ~2.4 marks; his conclusion that you are looking at a difference of only (14/2.4)= 6.25 questions is mathematically dumb. It should be three times that, around 15 to 18 questions, because he based the difference of 14 marks out of 100 whereas the total is around 300 marks.

In the last few years 90%ile is approximately 180/300, 50%ile is 150/300, each question on average ~2.2 marks but I tend to use 2 marks (because you are more likely to miss the more difficult higher mark questions). Therefore the difference between 90%ile and 50%ile is (180-150)/2 = around 15 questions.

It's difficult to compare results of any prep test to the real test. A simple rule to go by is, in the real test aim to get 90 questions (out of 134) for 90%ile, 95 questions for 95%ile, 100 questions for 99%ile.

McRafi9

HSC
Could I borrow those MedEntry past papers. I am in a similar situation like you, but my family friends aren't doctors so all I got are maths extension 1 past papers lol not MedEntry ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)