Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Anyone ready for UMAT?

HSC

Re: Anyone ready for UMAT?

Quote Originally Posted by aoc View Post
    Same you guys are legit stressing tf out of me lmao and this is my 2nd year attempting UMAT
    What'd you get first year?
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    How can you only get 1 or 2 wrong in each section AND finish it within 2 hours which is pretty much rushing? That would be the highest ever umat score if you only get 1 wrong in each section and a world record if you do that all within 2 hours.

Which umat papers are you doing this with?
    Prepgenie

aoc
    HSC

What'd you get first year?
    87th percentile but i did a lot worse on med entry tests lol

HSC

87th percentile but i did a lot worse on med entry tests lol
    What percentile did you usually get in medentry? Also any tips to finish the exam in 3 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    Prepgenie
    How many questions in one exam?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aoc
    HSC

What percentile did you usually get in medentry? Also any tips to finish the exam in 3 hours?

At the start i got below 50th percentile but towards the end 70th percentile. I only ever got 85th percentile like twice. And i have no tips to finish the exam in 3 hours since i had guess the last 10 or so questions from lack of time during the real test haha

HSC

Same you guys are legit stressing tf out of me lmao and this is my 2nd year attempting UMAT
    hahaha relax relax.
    One of the papers I used was the matrix 2014 umat paper that you can find online easily and did that in 1 hr 55 with a 78% and I spent my time going over it again to get a 95%. I don't see how that would be hard considering an HSC paper is around the same time for similar marks. My tutor gave me his drills and stuff and I spent a 4 months trying to do each question in a minute. I found that I could do that with the logic part but the emotional part takes longer just cos of reading.
    I've kind of given up now lol for a while and I really don't think putting in too much effort into the UMAT anymore will be good if you have a solid understanding of each qs and the variations and if you've done a few papers.
    We're not supposed to study for the UMAT considering that they added it so that people who actually deserve it/ have the right mindset for a doctor etc. become one compared to some well-off kid from a selective school that just goes to tutoring centres and drills the content hard enough to get a high atar.
    HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies
    Atar goal: 90+
    HSC goal: Band 6 all subjects boiii

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew587 View Post
    hahaha relax relax.
    One of the papers I used was the matrix 2014 umat paper that you can find online easily and did that in 1 hr 55 with a 78% and I spent my time going over it again to get a 95%. I don't see how that would be hard considering an HSC paper is around the same time for similar marks. My tutor gave me his drills and stuff and I spent a 4 months trying to do each question in a minute. I found that I could do that with the logic part but the emotional part takes longer just cos of reading.
    I've kind of given up now lol for a while and I really don't think putting in too much effort into the UMAT anymore will be good if you have a solid understanding of each qs and the variations and if you've done a few papers.
    We're not supposed to study for the UMAT considering that they added it so that people who actually deserve it/ have the right mindset for a doctor etc. become one compared to some well-off kid from a selective school that just goes to tutoring centres and drills the content hard enough to get a high atar.
    You can't really compare UMAT to HSC because even the best UMAT people take almost the full time to complete it and 2 hours is crazy fast even with heaps of practice that's an insane time
    lustforlife likes this.

Executive Member
    HSC

I'll check it when I do it the next time.

HSC

You can't really compare UMAT to HSC because even the best UMAT people take almost the full time to complete it and 2 hours is crazy fast even with heaps of practice that's an insane time
    lol this lowkey scares me

aoc
    HSC

It shouldnt scare you tbh. Almost no one will finish on time (and i know some people who got 100 percentile and didnt finish) and even those who do get 100th percentile still make educated guesses on quite a few questions.
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

Yeah I guess what you said is true but nah you can finish a paper in under 3 hours man.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies

Executive Member
    HSC

~95% then, with close to 100 questions on avg

Executive Member
    HSC

If it's anything to go by, waaay back in 2014 when I did medentry I scored on average, 102/134 but I rarely followed the 3 hour limit - did most the papers in like 4-5 hours because I procrastinated quite significantly haha - and this translated to 95%ile in the real thing.
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

HSC

yo how are all your raw scores looking like in ME exams ( ?/134) on average. mainly cause the ME percentiles are heavily exaggerated

Executive Member
    HSC

separate
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

HSC

does anyone know if transfering into undergrad med still exists?
    HSC 2017

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

No

A1P
    HSC

does anyone know if transfering into undergrad med still exists?
    Depends which uni and what you mean by transfer. UNSW WSU JMP accept applications from students who have started, or even completed a uni course (any degree any uni). Some people call this transfer but really not so since it's just re-applying to start Y1 med. Selection for interview and place offer is based on your GPA and/or ATAR plus UMAT.

UNSW also offers 15-20 places to the highest students completing UNSW MedSc (not other unis MedSc) to join halfway into the undergrad/MD course. These are more like transfers and yes they still exist. Also Adelaide/Curtin but there you "transfer" into Y1 med not halfway.
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by A1P View Post
    Depends which uni and what you mean by transfer. UNSW WSU JMP accept applications from students who have started, or even completed a uni course (any degree any uni). Some people call this transfer but really not so since it's just re-applying to start Y1 med. Selection for interview and place offer is based on your GPA and/or ATAR plus UMAT.

UNSW also offers 15-20 places to the highest students completing UNSW MedSc (not other unis MedSc) to join halfway into the undergrad/MD course. These are more like transfers and yes they still exist. Also Adelaide/Curtin but there you "transfer" into Y1 med not halfway.
    which unis have "transfers" based on GPA only?
    thank you again )
    HSC 2017

A1P
    HSC

which unis have "transfers" based on GPA only?
    UNSW combines your GPA & ATAR into an equivalent rank.
    WSU requires *either* ATAR 95.5 (ie. if already have that GPA won't matter), or GPA 6.1 for 1 year of uni, 6.0 for > 1year, 5.6 completed degree.
    JMP requires "Close to Credit average" for incomplete degree.

Adelaide & Curtin are also GPA only I think but unlike the above you have to be their students to apply.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mini8658 View Post
    Not sure if right place but, can someone help me? I think there might be an error in the answers but not sure. (maybe my logic is really that bad lol)

A classroom window was broken today. You know that two students were responsible. There were 4 students inside the classroom, Allen, Beatrice, Camille and Donald. You know that two of them are the ones who broke the window, and you also know that all four of them saw who did it. After asking each of them in turn who broke the window, you receive the following replies.
    A: C and myself did it.
    B: A and D did it.
    C: B and myself did it.
    D: A and B did it.
    Given that one of them told the complete truth, two of them told half-truths (i.e. they only named one guilty student correctly) and one of them told a complete lie, and assuming that it is one of the guilty students who told the complete lie, which of the students was the one who told the complete lie?
    A) A
    B) B
    C) C
    D) D

Part of the sol I don't get: The other method of solution is similar and involves recognising that the culprit who is telling a complete lie cannot name themselves, as this would be inconsistent. Thus, B or D is the culprit who told the complete lie. (I followed it up til this part).

Assuming Donald is the culprit who told the complete lie, then A and B are not culprits whilst C is the other culprit. However, by looking at C's statement it can be seen in this situation she is also telling a complete lie. Since only one student told a complete lie, this answer is not correct and Donald cannot be the culprit who told the complete lie.
    Answer: B tells the complete lie.

Assume C tells the complete truth (so B and C are the two who did it). Then we can see that:

• B must be telling the complete lie (since neither D nor A did it, yet B says these two did it)
    • A and D both tell half-truths (each identifies precisely one of the two culprits (B or C)).

As this is multiple choice and time-pressured, once we have found this consistent solution, we would just pick (B) and move on.

(To show uniqueness of the solution, which is not required for such an MCQ, we can just go through the other possibilities of who tells the complete truth (A, B, or D) and we'll see we always run into a contradiction.)
    Last edited by InteGrand; 22 Jun 2017 at 12:28 AM.
    kawaiipotato and pikachu975 like this.

HSC
    N/A

whats the answer tho

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    whats the answer tho
    B (as I said in my first line)

HSC
    N/A

I agree with B

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by A1P View Post

Hey I was browsing this thread and your response couldn't help catching my eye haha xP How does one transfer halfway in? it says on the website the undergrad is 6 years but the med sci is 7 years, where does the extra year fit in?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information