Anyone ready for UMAT? (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just gonna learn the guides and techniques before the exam and do around 2-5 exams in the holidays as preparation but for now not really

dabatman

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I'll be doing my HSC and UMAT next year. I just want to ask, does anyone have any tips and advice for UMAT preparation? Also, is medentry good or Matrix UMAT?

lustforlife

HSC
fk yes so ready

been getting 90-100%ile on medentry

I finally understand things now and i'm so fuckin ready
You sound soo ready!! I've being getting around 80-85% MedEntry Papers! Hopefully can increase that 90%s before the actual exam...

lustforlife

HSC
Just gonna learn the guides and techniques before the exam and do around 2-5 exams in the holidays as preparation but for now not really
I can totally relate... and also my School Trials are this term so I have to give that priority right now! Then I can fully focus on UMAT during holidays.. Also, what guides are you using?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I can totally relate... and also my School Trials are this term so I have to give that priority right now! Then I can fully focus on UMAT during holidays.. Also, what guides are you using?
Yeah we have trials on the whole course for week 8-9 this term then again term 3 week 3-4 and week 7-8 IIRC so not much time to prep for UMAT especially with assessments this term too.

Using some medentry guides and stuff

Hi guys,

I'll be doing my HSC and UMAT next year. I just want to ask, does anyone have any tips and advice for UMAT preparation? Also, is medentry good or Matrix UMAT?
Basically don't treat UMAT as a HSC subject because you still need to study heaps for your HSC, but maybe spend 5-10% for UMAT. Personally I barely do any prep because so busy with school assessments and trials this term and heaps of homework but I'll just prep in the holidays

iStudent

HSC
Yeah we have trials on the whole course for week 8-9 this term then again term 3 week 3-4 and week 7-8 IIRC so not much time to prep for UMAT especially with assessments this term too.

Using some medentry guides and stuff

Basically don't treat UMAT as a HSC subject because you still need to study heaps for your HSC, but maybe spend 5-10% for UMAT. Personally I barely do any prep because so busy with school assessments and trials this term and heaps of homework but I'll just prep in the holidays
I disagree with your last statement - UMAT is just as important if not more important compared to ATAR in most selection criterion for medicine. Depends on what you're aiming for. If you're serious about studying medicine (and that it isn't just an option floating around there just in case you get the marks) - then you should definitely prioritise the UMAT.

When I did the UMAT during my HSC, I most certainly treated the UMAT as a HSC subject and bumped up my prep for it significantly as I approached the exam day (so around about now haha). It's a lot of work - I did all this on top of my 12 units which included MX2.

However, it is controversial whether UMAT prep helps at all - sooo I'll let y'all decide what is best :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I disagree with your last statement - UMAT is just as important if not more important compared to ATAR in most selection criterion for medicine. Depends on what you're aiming for. If you're serious about studying medicine (and that it isn't just an option floating around there just in case you get the marks) - then you should definitely prioritise the UMAT.

When I did the UMAT during my HSC, I most certainly treated the UMAT as a HSC subject and bumped up my prep for it significantly as I approached the exam day (so around about now haha). It's a lot of work - I did all this on top of my 12 units which included MX2.

However, it is controversial whether UMAT prep helps at all - sooo I'll let y'all decide what is best :)
I only said that because I've seen people who spent SO MUCH TIME studying for UMAT and still got like 50-70 as a score which then wasted their time which they could've studied for other stuff but I agree, studying for it is important if passionate.

boredsatan

HSC

If someone had an atar of 90, and a umat of 100, and if someone had an atar of 99.95, but a umat of 70, which one would be given higher preference?

iStudent

HSC
If someone had an atar of 90, and a umat of 100, and if someone had an atar of 99.95, but a umat of 70, which one would be given higher preference?
The 90 ATAR wouldn't even make the ATAR cutoff at any uni haha (unless ATSI)

99.95 can get you into many places :)

That said a 90 ATAR isn't really comparable to a 70 UMAT like 100 UMAT is to 99.95

Pikachu, you're right in that statistically speaking - probably the MAJORITY of people who study so much for the UMAT won't score high enough to get in so you could argue that it is better to focus on getting the ATAR first and foremost. But yea, depends on what you're aiming for I guess? Someone who is comfortably in the 99+ ATAR range would benefit more from focusing on the UMAT rather than trying to bump their ATAR up by 0.5. That's the sort of point I am making :)

boredsatan

HSC
B
The 90 ATAR wouldn't even make the ATAR cutoff at any uni haha (unless ATSI)

99.95 can get you into many places :)

That said a 90 ATAR isn't really comparable to a 70 UMAT like 100 UMAT is to 99.95

Thanks for the response
Pikachu, you're right in that statistically speaking - probably the MAJORITY of people who study so much for the UMAT won't score high enough to get in so you could argue that it is better to focus on getting the ATAR first and foremost. But yea, depends on what you're aiming for I guess? Someone who is comfortably in the 99+ ATAR range would benefit more from focusing on the UMAT rather than trying to bump their ATAR up by 0.5. That's the sort of point I am making :)

Mathew587

HSC
Personally takes me 2 hours, when the paper is supposed to be 165 minutes.
Same here. I finish a paper in 1hr 50-55 mins and I average around 80% by then. I just spend the rest of the time fixing my mistakes up to a ~95%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)