Directly Messaging Unis While in Late Year 11 (1 Viewer)

copyfrogs

HSC
Do you think getting in contact with universities early helps with getting into courses?

UNSW has a rural clinical school right near where I live & so I'm trying to figure out if it will make me seem motivated or pushy to try to get into contact with them.

& has anyone got any tips on finding opportunities for work experience in hospitals or clinics? Is it generally still done and what's the best way to go about it if so?

Stressing about that 99+ ATAR, ngl

polskicygan

HSC
Well I'd like to think that entry to universities is based on more than just the ATAR but because all applications go centrally through UAC I think unfortunately it wouldn't be beneficial to contact them. Its not as simple as them being able to put in a good word for you.

Not sure about the work experience, somebody else might be able to answer that.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it will help your chances, because the whole UMAT and interview process is already designed to make you seem eager to be a doctor, it is proven by experience and interests, rather than necessary early contact, and they won't be able to help you with much this early. In terms of work experience, it will be fairly hard to get work experience in a hospital or clinic besides in a strictly administrative sense because there is a lot of liability that they don't want to take up, and most hospitals are too busy to take on such young people. I suggest you just email or call hospitals up and see what they say :)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Re: work experience
Usually best to ask the hospital directly. Some will have a work experience program where you will get allocated to various parts of the hospital during the week. The earlier and the greater the number of hospitals you ask, the better it will be for planning as they seem quite popular and may not be able to necessarily work around your school times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)