View Poll Results: UNSW or WSU for med

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • UNSW

    26 36.11%
  • WSU

    46 63.89%
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By si2136
  • 1 Post By iStudent
  • 1 Post By andrew12678

Thread: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    1

    UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    I'm applying for Med at both UNSW and WSU but I don't know which one to put as my first preference.
    I had UNSW as my first preference before but my dad told me to change it to WSU because the course is 1 year shorter.
    I can't really think of any other benefits of WSU over UNSW and personally I'd prefer to go to UNSW.
    I feel like I have a fair shot at getting in to both of them but from my understanding of UAC applications, you can't accept or decline your 2nd-5th preferences until you have accepted or declined your first option (why I want to put UNSW as first preference).
    Thoughts?
    Personally I haven't heard anything negative about medicine at UNSW while I've seen mixed reviews with WSU (the environment, teaching, facilities etc) and I don't feel like the extra year at UNSW is going to be very negative for me in the long run.

  2. #2
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,961
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Wait for UMAT results that come out soon to see if you should even list medicine, but I would go for UNSW just because that's my preferred uni
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

    Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Yea same, I don't really have any reasons to pick UNSW over WSU except that I personally prefer it.
    I just don't want to go to WSU with the possibility that I might have a not so positive experience there.
    Anyone who has done/is doing med at either, any input would be appreciated

  4. #4
    A1P
    A1P is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by anton93 View Post
    I feel like I have a fair shot at getting in to both of them but from my understanding of UAC applications, you can't accept or decline your 2nd-5th preferences until you have accepted or declined your first option (why I want to put UNSW as first preference).
    You've put it the wrong way around. "Until you have accepted/declined your first option" implies you have an offer for it, in that case you won't even know whether you have one for the 2nd-5th prefs to decide accept or decline them.

    If you put UNSW first and WSU lower, if you don't get UNSW you might get WSU. If you do get UNSW, accept it then go into UAC change WSU to first. You might get WSU 2nd round, then you have 2 weeks to decide which one to take/enrol in. (If UNSW already requires you to enrol on acceptance earlier you can withdraw without any penalty).

  5. #5
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Wait for UMAT results that come out soon to see if you should even list medicine, but I would go for UNSW just because that's my preferred uni
    I agree, if my UMAT is like mystery mark I'm not gonna put med down

    no way i'm getting 99.95
    pikachu975 likes this.

  6. #6
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,130
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by anton93 View Post
    I'm applying for Med at both UNSW and WSU but I don't know which one to put as my first preference.
    I had UNSW as my first preference before but my dad told me to change it to WSU because the course is 1 year shorter.
    I can't really think of any other benefits of WSU over UNSW and personally I'd prefer to go to UNSW.
    I feel like I have a fair shot at getting in to both of them but from my understanding of UAC applications, you can't accept or decline your 2nd-5th preferences until you have accepted or declined your first option (why I want to put UNSW as first preference).
    Thoughts?
    Personally I haven't heard anything negative about medicine at UNSW while I've seen mixed reviews with WSU (the environment, teaching, facilities etc) and I don't feel like the extra year at UNSW is going to be very negative for me in the long run.
    Depends
    Do you want to study at uni for 5 years or 6 years?

    1 year can feel like a long stretch for some people - you can do honours in that year (and hence progress straight to PhD), you can work one year earlier, start the climb to specialty training one year earlier (ever more important as the bottleneck worsens). When you're 32 (or whatever age you become a specialist/GP) - that one year is equivalent to 200-300+k (depends on specialty) income.

    However, UNSW is also seemingly more prestigious (although, all med degrees are created equal anyway).

    And if you ask me, I'd still put UNSW first - but over the long term, had I gotten WSU it would definitely be the best decision I never made simply because you get to finish 1 year earlier.

    anton93 likes this.
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

    EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    What you do after the degree matters more than the degree itself. Ultimately, the prestige of a medical school counts for very little in the grand scheme of things. Other things such as finances, convenience and to an extent, specific career plans (which are usually not well visualised at your stage), are more important.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: UNSW or WSU medicine - if you could choose which one and why?

    Neither, would choose USYD xD

    Jokes aside, since I'm a person who has to 'enjoy' going to uni I would have chosen UNSW over WSU

    That being said, either is hard to get into, and with UMAT results not out yet I think its best to think of these things after
    gaslight likes this.
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •