MedEntry 2 day workshop - worth it? (1 Viewer)

phunkyy

HSC
Hey guys,

So I'm planning on buying a medentry package to start preparing for the 2018 umat, but I'm not sure whether to get the distance or the platinum package (they are both the same except one has a 2-day workshop). The platinum one is $200 more expensive with the group discount. Is it worth getting? Will they teach me anything useful that I can't get from the online material?

Kat92

HSC
When I have looked into it- I personally don't think there is anything additional. I presume the distance package would work in a similar way to the free practice questions that have the fully worked solutions with a rationale at the end.

Maybe someone who has attended the 2-day workshop can provide more of an insight though for you.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

So I'm planning on buying a medentry package to start preparing for the 2018 umat, but I'm not sure whether to get the distance or the platinum package (they are both the same except one has a 2-day workshop). The platinum one is $200 more expensive with the group discount. Is it worth getting? Will they teach me anything useful that I can't get from the online material?

Even though I didn't really want to do med, when I went to the 2 day workshop it somehow motivated me to try doing drills and practice exams on the MedEntry site because I suddenly understood how to do certain questions, and the small tips and tricks to look out for.

However, a lot of their techniques were already explained in the guides that you'll be given in the distance package - in fact, during the first day, a lot of the examples they used to explain were taken directly from their guides. Think of the 2-day workshop as something that will give you motivation - you'll be able to meet a lot of like-minded people with a similar goal to you, and gain a more 'hands on' insight into methods of approaching questions. Also - you'll be able to do a mock exam in exam conditions, which is a good experience I guess, except that you will have to go home and check the solutions yourself.

That being said, even as someone who does not intend to apply for med, I got a LOT out of their interview tips and practice during the workshop - it really helped me become confident in interviews for other non-med related scholarship and job interviews.

in the the end tho #yolo ik people who spent $1500+ on UMAT prep and got <50 percentile and people who did no prep and got 95+ percentile and people who did medium/high/low prep and got 99 percentile so ?!?!!!!!

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
I went to the 2-day workshop this year and thought it was alright

In the first day, you basically have the presenter give talks for general tips and techniques for each section of the UMAT. Each section is covered through in 90 minutes (so 270 minutes in total). There are also breaks in between each section. In addition to this, you also have a guest speaker (usually someone who got 100 percentile) giving UMAT advice for around 20 minutes. However, in my opinion, reading the MedEntry guides instead would be better as they are more detailed than the techniques said in the workshop.

On Day 2 you basically have do a trial UMAT exam and then the rest of day is kinda non-UMAT related. This includes talking about pathways/careers in medicine, interview strategies and also a mock interview. Whilst the interview strategies were obviously targeted towards medical interviews, they were useful in the general scope of most interviews.

Overall, it was decent. If you're willing to spend the extra cash then go for it. However, you won't lose much if you don't go to it.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)