Thread: Deakin Uni - Osces

HSC

Deakin Uni - Osces

So basically I go to deakin university victoria. I study optometry and we have osces which are hurdle practical assessments where you have a patient who you have to conduct a procedure on. We had 6 in the trimester. I had to resit 3 and on the resit I passed 2. The one I failed was the one I thought I did the best in. I got the correct answer and the procedure was right. It's a hurdle so I would fail and have to wait a whole year. I have a meeting with the head of unit and review is not possible since it is a practical assessment. If I passed the hurdle I would've gotten 65/100. We have a cohort of 90 so it makes sense that the tutors have pressure from the board to filter out students. But doing so unfairly is unethical . They attempt to fail 20% of the bottom of the cohort by the end of the course but my resits went well so I made sure to give them no chance but somehow they failed me. The cohort before us was smaller with only 60 people and a lot of the people who failed resits got resits again immediately with tutors even guiding them through. In my case I don't believe I should've failed but since it is patient interaction osces how do I prove my point? If that doesn't work what can I do after since I certainly don't want to wait a whole year to repeat this unit.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Deakin Uni - Osces

they obviously failed you because you are not competent enough. suck it up and re-do the unit next year

your assumption that "tutors have to fail a certain percentage" is rubbish. If everyone did bad, no one would pass and if everyone did well, everyone would pass
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering [Mechatronics] @UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    they obviously failed you because you are not competent enough. suck it up and re-do the unit next year

your assumption that "tutors have to fail a certain percentage" is rubbish. If everyone did bad, no one would pass and if everyone did well, everyone would pass
    What if I told you that their arguments were invalid but I had no way to prove it. What if I told you that there was no way I could've failed that prac. What if I told you I didn't make the mistakes they are bringing up. What if I told you that the patient feedback after prac was excellent? And what if I can't prove that in the review? Should I really suck up something which isn't right? Oh and remember if you have a cohort of 90 people all graduating from the course when your university had just been certified to graduate optometry students, I'd think the optometry education board would question the filtering process and capabilities of the universities. There have been occurrences of this in the past.
    Last edited by Hi there444; 5 Nov 2017 at 2:04 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Hi there444 View Post
    What if I told you that their arguments were invalid but I had no way to prove it. What if I told you that there was no way I could've failed that prac. What if I told you I didn't make the mistakes they are bringing up. What if I told you that the patient feedback after prac was excellent? And what if I can't prove that in the review? Should I really suck up something which isn't right? Oh and remember if you have a cohort of 90 people all graduating from the course when your university had just been certified to graduate optometry students, I'd think the optometry education board would question the filtering process and capabilities of the universities. There have been occurrences of this in the past.
    If you don't have a way to prove it your argument means nothing. Enroll next year if you can.

HSC

If you don't have a way to prove it your argument means nothing. Enroll next year if you can.
    So doesn't theirs. They have no proof either. I'll have to go to ombudsman as last resort.

HSC
    Uni Grad

So doesn't theirs. They have no proof either. I'll have to go to ombudsman as last resort.
    can u find someone in the same position as you?

set up a meeting with your course coordinator as well to discuss ur mark

HSC

can u find someone in the same position as you?

set up a meeting with your course coordinator as well to discuss ur mark
    There is someone in the same position. Except that they actually weren't able to finish their prac on time. I finished my prac in just a bit more than half the time allocated. However they felt that they shouldve passed too. Yeah I emailed the course coordinator asking as to when we can discuss this hurdle mark. No reply since 2 days. Hopefully they reply tonight

HSC
    Uni Grad

There is someone in the same position. Except that they actually weren't able to finish their prac on time. I finished my prac in just a bit more than half the time allocated. However they felt that they shouldve passed too. Yeah I emailed the course coordinator asking as to when we can discuss this hurdle mark. No reply since 2 days. Hopefully they reply tonight
    email is a very passive way of getting shit done

is there an office u can go to?

HSC

email is a very passive way of getting shit done

is there an office u can go to?
    Yeah that's what I meant but I have to book the appointment by emailing them. I am set to meet tomorrow afternoon. Let's see how it goes.

HSC

Lol cant believe I got failed for handwriting. They could read it but they say it wasnt as good as it could be. And apparently for this examiner, i was speaking too fast to the patient but the patient and other examiners thought I was speaking at the correct speed and efficiently. They said ill have to put in a review they cant do anything now. Funny cos we were never ever given proper criteria for any OSCES. Hopefully they consider the review. Cheers square

HSC
    Uni Grad

If they can't read what u wrote then yeah u get zero

The speaking is subjective so idk

HSC

If they can't read what u wrote then yeah u get zero

The speaking is subjective so idk
    Nah it was legible. The review came out. The review committee considered my argument and gave me a resit with a sane examiner. I passed. Hope I never have that other crazy examiner again

HSC
    N/A

Nah it was legible. The review came out. The review committee considered my argument and gave me a resit with a sane examiner. I passed. Hope I never have that other crazy examiner again

Congrats on making it through. OSCEs can be a bitch and ANYONE can fail, including 'top' students. However like anything though, practicr does help a lot
    Medicine at UoN

Thread Information